Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

View Poll Results: Which storage medium are you using for EQ?
Classic HDD 1 5.88%
SSD 16 94.12%
External (Thumb, HDD, SSD) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2022, 03:39 PM
Kobold

I have an understanding of what it is, but I am no expert. To my understanding it is carving out a secured amount of memory on your RAM that can be utilized by your computer as a readable/writable space. The data, if chosen to, can be saved in an image and used repeatedly.

I used it for a while when I was playing my Bard to resolve some lag. I have had concerns about using that sort of solution too long term as I don’t know specifically its ability to wear the hardware down.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have an understanding of what it is, but I am no expert. To my understanding it is carving out a secured amount of memory on your RAM that can be utilized by your computer as a readable/writable space. The data, if chosen to, can be saved in an image and used repeatedly.

I used it for a while when I was playing my Bard to resolve some lag. I have had concerns about using that sort of solution too long term as I don’t know specifically its ability to wear the hardware down.
Yes, you are RUNNING your client in the RAMdrive. you are storing the RAMdrive image on your HDD or SSD. RAMdrive can not be a storage device, it is transient. In EQ terms RAMdrive is NoRent.

Others have hinted at it with some low level snark, but I will come out and say you don't really know what you are talking about. I am no expert on the subject either but am not advertising myself as one on YouTube.

Aside from all that, yes running the client and it's logs in RAMdrive would certainly improve the performance. READ/WRITE times are greatly reduced.
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Last edited by Garnaak; 07-18-2022 at 03:54 PM..
Old 07-18-2022, 04:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnaak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, you are RUNNING your client in the RAMdrive. you are storing the RAMdrive image on your HDD or SSD. RAMdrive can not be a storage device, it is transient. In EQ terms RAMdrive is NoRent.

Others have hinted at it with some low level snark, but I will come out and say you don't really know what you are talking about. I am no expert on the subject either but am not advertising myself as one on YouTube.

Aside from all that, yes running the client and it's logs in RAMdrive would certainly improve the performance. READ/WRITE times are greatly reduced.
I’m by no means an expert, nor have I presented myself as one. Simply someone that is trying to provide solutions to make a 20 year old game run in a way people want it to.

If this is dangerous, please feel free to tell me so. That way I can continue to research the topic.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m by no means an expert, nor have I presented myself as one. Simply someone that is trying to provide solutions to make a 20 year old game run in a way people want it to.

If this is dangerous, please feel free to tell me so. That way I can continue to research the topic.
Not sure if it is dangerous. Misleading maybe (no, definitely).

I have no problem with you putting the info out there for people. How do I say this?...

My problem is, and this is not just you, so many people today do the same thing. False and misleading information is put out as real "information." "Fake News", propaganda, etc. It is everywhere, pervasive. Unless you are an expert on everything, it is very easy to be sucked into one of these wormholes of falsity. More and more of what you believe is true and accurate is actually false. Just my little battle against it in this thread. Don't take it personal.
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Last edited by Garnaak; 07-18-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Old 07-18-2022, 05:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnaak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if it is dangerous. Misleading maybe (no, definitely).

I have no problem with you putting the info out there for people. How do I say this?...

My problem is, and this is not just you, so many people today do the same thing. False and misleading information is put out as real "information." "Fake News", propaganda, etc. It is everywhere, pervasive. Unless you are an expert on everything, it is very easy to be sucked into one of these wormholes of falsity. More and more of what you believe is true and accurate is actually false. Just my little battle against it in this thread. Don't take it personal.
I'm sorry you're having a bad election cycle, but taking it out on a community member of a game that came out in 1999 isn't going to help. I put these videos together as a hobby to develop video editing skills. I'm sorry that aggravates you. Instead of spending time sitting behind a keyboard bashing someone that has donated hours of their time to help provide technical support, you could instead contribute your own knowledge.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
I'm sorry you're having a bad election cycle, but taking it out on a community member of a game that came out in 1999 isn't going to help. I put these videos together as a hobby to develop video editing skills. I'm sorry that aggravates you. Instead of spending time sitting behind a keyboard bashing someone that has donated hours of their time to help provide technical support, you could instead contribute your own knowledge.
I am sorry that you are trying to distract from your lack of basic understanding of the "technical" stuff you portend to inform others on by lobbing false accusations towards me.
Deetith - Iksar Monk