Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Large Rat

Default Low Level Only Cleric

I'm planning on playing a Cleric on green server but only for a short period of time. Will almost certainly not get past lvl 30. Is there any race/class combo I should steer away from or towards, or any changes to stat allocations I should consider? Again end game or higher level gear is out of the question. All I care about is making my life as easy as possible for the early levels.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Aviak

Really shouldn't matter - dark elf might be a little less convenient for banking/vendors depending on where you go. Stats aren't super important for cleric but some str helps if you go elfish for carrying stuff/plate armor.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Planar Protector

Halfling for hide/sneak/ivu and exp mod bonus
Old 10-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Planar Protector

If you're quite certain you won't level much you can add points to strength (to carry more stuff without getting weighed down as soon). Wisdom is the class's primary attibute, however that attribute scales in power with levels and hence does relatively little for a low-level character.

Danth
Old 10-13-2019, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Halfling for the +5% XP bonus, all stat points in Strength so you can make a little extra money.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

This is such a retarded question. Name a combo that’s good for 30 levels max? Play whatever you want to stare at dude. Or I guess which combo makes you cringe the most so you don’t want to level past 30?

Lame ass post.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Large Rat

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Halfling wasn’t really on my radar but I think that is what I’m going with now. Also I love Rivervale so that’s a win for starting zone.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is such a retarded question. Name a combo that’s good for 30 levels max? Play whatever you want to stare at dude. Or I guess which combo makes you cringe the most so you don’t want to level past 30?
Lame ass post.
Probably an unnecessary post but I haven't really played EQ since 2002 (with the exception of one very short tryst on p1999 about five years ago). I wanted to make sure if I played again for a short period of time I wouldn't make any big mistakes in my class/race combo that would really hurt me in the early levels. I don't remember much in terms of mechanics from EQ other then it can be pretty harsh. Your suggestion of simply playing whatever makes me happy and not worrying about stats at all is probably pretty good advice. Again I'm probably just overthinking it.

Just adding more to my lame ass post. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah it doesn't matter low levels.

Dwarf is hands down the best cleric for low levels. Do a dwarf. Make agility 75 though.

Like others said it doesn't really matter. Choose whatever race you like
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
however that attribute scales in power with levels and hence does relatively little for a low-level character.
This is contradicting itself. Something that scales with levels literally cannot be "relatively" less impactful at a given level than another. That's the whole meaning of something that scales with levels. As you gain levels, it increases. The relative impact is the same (or at least very similar).

For example, 100 wisdom at level 1 means 22 mana. 150 wisdom at level 1 means 32 mana. A gain of approximately 45%.
And 100 wisdom at level 50 means 1100 mana. 150 wisdom at level 50 means 1600 mana. A gain of approximately 45%.

And practically speaking, wisdom actually is relatively MORE beneficial for a low-level character since at higher levels you will likely have +mana gear and potentially be softcapping on wisdom so you start seeing lesser returns over the softcap.

And while I'm "nitpicking," exp bonuses are a silly consideration unless you're playing solo. A halfling cleric needs like 5% less xp than cleric of any other race... except that the way the exp bonus works means you're sharing your bonus with everyone else you ever group with so that you don't see even close to that 5%, which already is a quite small amount of exp anyways.

OP: easy life at lower levels with a cleric would probably mean 1) good faction for ease of access in most locations you might visit, 2) night vision because it seems like no night vision will be rough on green, 3) wisdom for mana pool to burn from 100% down to 0% to save your group from certain death when they go overboard, and 4) strength so you can carry your heavy armor and loot since you likely won't have any/many weight reducing bags. I'd make a dwarf and put my extra points into wisdom +25 and agility +5 (low agility screws your AC and you already will have pretty high strength as a dwarf) just considering this. Halfling is fine too (+25 wis and +5 str); you trade raw, important cleric stats (wis, str, and to a lesser extent cha and sta) for hide and sneak, which are convenient for AFKs, using unfriendly merchants and quest givers, and to an extent sneaking around. Both have infravision and are good aligned. Dwarves barrel roll. Halflings have hairy feet. Both are can't-miss cleric choices.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 10-15-2019 at 08:15 PM..
Closed Thread