Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 04:07 AM
Planar Protector

AAs don't exist on any of the p99 servers and by all accounts never will.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamarro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are the situations in those 0.01% cases like? I'm planning on going at P99 green as hard core as I can, meaning I'll be playing a minimum of 5h a day and 5 days a week for the next 6 months atleast. I have played WoW before and am currently playing Classic so I do have some end game raid experience from that game playing hybrid classes like Paladins and Druids, if that is worth anything coming to EQ1. As I'm unfortunately too young to have experienced EQ1 in its prime when it was in retail and since blue is already a whopping 10 years old, I consider P99 green as my best chance of experienceing the aforementioned to the maximum in it's most authentic form currently available, and that means I have set as my personal goal to try to progress as far as I am able in the end game content. Given that, I hope going your suggested +15 strength instead of stamina won't make me completely useless in those 0.01% scenarios, will it? While I do appreciate being able to solo much better, I still want to be useful all the way to the end, or atleast to not be a dead weight holding the raid group down. I absolutely love hybrid classes like Paladins and Druids etc. in RPGs in general and I don't mind conforming even to some really specific niche roles if that is where I'm most useful for a raid as a Paladin. I do enjoy tanking the most though, healing and utility coming in a close second, and dps as the last, but I don't specifically mind any of those roles - quite the contrary.
Given that this is your approach you should absolutely do STA. STR is much easier to cap with gear and buffs, especially as the game moves into expansions. You like to tank so that STA is going to benefit you more than any other starting stat boost.

As a dwarf you're already starting with 100 str which isn't bad at all. You can carry plenty and the plate won't be terrible on you, and eventually you'll be getting more str on gear to offset it. You aren't a dps class and knight dps is generally terrible for most of the P99 timeline so 15 str isn't going to change that. Paladin isn't generally known for its soloing so even if you end up doing some solo killing 15 str isn't going to make much of a difference in your (slow) kill speed. As far as aggro, paladins have tons of it through spells, that extra str dps isn't a tipping point on holding your threat.

Do the sta and 5 agi path IMO.
Last edited by Fammaden; 10-02-2019 at 07:09 AM..
Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamarro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is good to hear! I'm looking to be very useful in groups and also in end game raids, and I hope my class selection will serve me to that end well.
This is one area where your wow experience doesn't translate to EQ. Many of the classes are much less important for raids, but can still go. It also changes over time. A few examples

Rogues -medicore at launch but in velious top DPS
Wizards -top dps at launch but by velious often only used to Port the group there.
Mages -similar just used to Port the group
Enchanters, shaman, druid, bard- just there to buff

They make a lot of those classes face the wall during boss fights(after waiting around 12 hours for it to spawn) - not that fun.

Paladins and SK maybe can off tank stuff sometimes, but they aren't that useful DPS wise (unlike wow where you can change your paladin spec to dps or heal)
Old 10-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters, shaman, druid, bard- just there to buff
We don't slow in classic (or any other era)?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Slow is just a buff to the tanks, dude!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogues -medicore at launch but in velious top DPS
This is one of the things that made me consider Rogue. Because it's all just a nice ride up to the top.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Fire Giant

CHA for a starting Dwarf Paladin could also be considered IMO.
You start like 20 points under the second-to-last race, and that stat determines whether a Pacify spells critical fails or not, which is often the difference between wipe or try again when the paladin exclaims proudly, "let me split that room guys!"

i'd go +10 CHA +5 STA +5 AGI personnally.
but as above posters said, you could go +20 INT and still be able to play so.. don't put too much thoughts into it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] the most important in EQ is always the same: lower your expectations, play more.

Number 1 stat in EQ is level.
Number 2 stat in EQ is gear.
Number 3 stat in EQ is skill.
Number 4 stat in EQ is actual stats.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

The most important thing, already stated for a Dwarf Paladin is to add 5 points to agility to hit a very special 75 number. The rest isn't as important after that ;D

Also, Dwarf Paladins are extremely fashionable, and I may be joining you as one (but I may also make my first serious Ogre character, or a Human Ranger).
Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AAs don't exist on any of the p99 servers and by all accounts never will.
Were they introduced in a later expansion that is outside the scope of P99's servers' progression lifespan? Or are they just generally considered such poison that they got left out as a service to humanity?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:53 AM
Planar Protector

They were introduced with Luclin, an expansion outside the scope of the project.
Closed Thread