Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Orc

Default Make a druid

If you are in it for raiding, you won’t be much use as a paladin. Your heals aren’t strong enough or mana efficient to make a difference, and your dps will be negligible. Warriors tank raid mobs so you won’t be tanking either. As a previous commenter mentioned, paladins aren’t the powerhouse here they were in WoW.

I’d highly suggest Druid for your first char if that is your other option. They get around easily with run speed and ports. They can solo easily, and their heals and other buffs make them useful in both raids and groups.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Orc

Paladins are brought on raids to loot stuff that would rot, throw up their 1 HP buff clerics dont get (dps melee will usually take the ranger buff over the pally one, they dont stack), and on rare occasions off tank, pally shine in group content, raiding not so much. Dont let that keep you from playing one, the rogue is my favorite class but a pally is my second favorite EQ class.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Skeleton

Regarding 40% hybrid XP penalties... I started EQ about midway between Kunark launch and Velious launch, as an Iksar SK. Some people were leery of the penalty, but I found that if you learned to play your character, it wouldn’t take long before people would look for you for their group. By my 20’s it just didn’t seem to matter to most people.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfuzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding 40% hybrid XP penalties... I started EQ about midway between Kunark launch and Velious launch, as an Iksar SK. Some people were leery of the penalty, but I found that if you learned to play your character, it wouldn’t take long before people would look for you for their group. By my 20’s it just didn’t seem to matter to most people.
uwww iksar sk ... worst of the worst! I would never tell you in game, but silently in the group I sit there and feel how slow xp goes since you joined. About the same as someone 5+ lvls higher joining.

60% :-)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:02 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by saftbudet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
uwww iksar sk ... worst of the worst! I would never tell you in game, but silently in the group I sit there and feel how slow xp goes since you joined. About the same as someone 5+ lvls higher joining.

60% :-)
Xp per mob might have been less per person, but I could pull fast and maintain total aggro so kills were fast. Casters in my groups got used to not ever getting hit. That counted more than not getting quite as much xp. And you build a group of friends who aren’t min/maxers who play to have fun.... you are playing to have fun?
Old 10-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

The past few messages claiming that I won't be of any use in an end game raid as a Dwarf Paladin is really disheartening to read as I would've really liked to play that race/class combo specifically. If I truly want to raid, and I mean RAID raid, should I make a druid instead? That's my other favourite class in RPGs in usual. If it soloes decently and is really useful in both party (leveling) content and end game raid content then that could be a better choice for me. What do you guys think?
Old 10-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamarro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The past few messages claiming that I won't be of any use in an end game raid as a Dwarf Paladin is really disheartening to read as I would've really liked to play that race/class combo specifically. If I truly want to raid, and I mean RAID raid, should I make a druid instead? That's my other favourite class in RPGs in usual. If it soloes decently and is really useful in both party (leveling) content and end game raid content then that could be a better choice for me. What do you guys think?
I think you need to stop listening to negative people and play what you want!
Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Planar Protector

Paladin and Ranger and Shadowknight are great.

Play and enjoy.

They can do a lot, and can help make themselves and others basically invincible.

They're a hybrid and their utility is hybridized. We can't all roll mages which is pretty much best strategy for all content. So..yeah.

Dwarf Pally FTW.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladin and Ranger and Shadowknight are great.

Play and enjoy.

Dwarf Pally FTW.
Closed Thread