Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 11:47 PM
Large Rat

Default Connecting with phone Tether

Hello all -

I work / and live on the road and use a tethered connection with my phone to play P99.

Has anyone come across a problem not seeing the servers on the server select screen after entering username / password? I am using PdaNet to bypass my tethering data speed cap but when I have it enabled I cannot see the servers on the select screen.

When I use the phones native tethering it works fine, albeit at 500kbs/sec can see the servers and login normal.

I'm assuming there is some issue with the PDAnet software blocking on 5889.

Just curious if anyone has seen this and had a workaround?
Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

500kb/s is about 100x the bandwidth requirement of EQ so if it works without using PDANet, I'd just do that... When I first played back in '99 I had a 33.6 modem.

-Mcoy
Old 01-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Sarnak

I had FoxFi and Pdanet+ back in the day and had similar issues with another game.
it seems that there is some information manipulation done inorder for you to get mobile speeds while not the native user (the Android device).
so just think about how pdanet+ needs to change the packet data so you can download at 500+kb.
I'm sure you have a data plan for your hotspot but I would suggest you get a unlocked phone that allows you to use the hotspot with out your carriers throttle.
the problem you are describing comes from carrier (at&t / verizon) software on your phone that is limiting you.
Android does not do this native. your user agent means nothing to it.
recap get a newer phone that carrier unlocked
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Large Rat

Hey Mcoy, long time no see!

I got it working using a VPN, seems T-mobile is blocking it on the their side. Weird that they wouldn't block other games but somehow P99 gets the ax, it literally uses next to nothing bandwidth wisw.

I mainly wanted to pass-through so I could watch Youtube or Amazon while I was playing, lol.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

you might want to re-read my post since using a VPN just adds another layer of programs and encrypts before pdanet+ can encapsulate your data

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_encapsulation
Last edited by xaix1999; 01-01-2020 at 03:52 PM..