Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Aviak

I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this over the past week, and I may have solved this for myself, though it's difficult to prove a negative. I found a location in Skyshrine where I could do some testing, where I was able to reproduce the issue within 5-10 minutes every time I made some changes to see if something worked. It's now been a day and a half of regularly trying in the same location and zero freezes. Still hard to say 100% solved, but definitely major improvements for me. Hoping I'm not jumping the gun here with only 1.5 days of freedom, but wanted to provide some info.

What worked for me is using the 32-bit dgvoodoo2 wrapper instead of the 64-bit. I incorrectly assumed the target architecture was intended for the OS, not the application. There are also user-written guides, forum posts, etc. out there that incorrectly recommend the same. But per the developer's own documentation: "D3D9 has both 32 and 64 bit versions. Always use the proper one, depending on the application type (not the OS type)." This also points to why some people have had dgvoodoo2 resolve this issue, while others have not.

As a bonus, this change also resolved a strange framerate issue I had been having for a very long time.

Would be interested in learning if this helps others. If not, happy to share some of my diagnostic experience this week and see if we can at least point to something.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What worked for me is using the 32-bit dgvoodoo2 wrapper instead of the 64-bit.
Yes this part is important as well and was the version I loaded too that seemed resolve it. I did not try the 64 bit but I would expect it doesn't work and should be evidenced by the lack of watermark on the first launch but I could be mistaken.

And to answer a prior question on this thread. When this issue occurs, Alt + Enter to force out of full screen and back does resolve it. (Wife and I play in full screen exclusively).
Old 03-07-2023, 12:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfurry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did not try the 64 bit but I would expect it doesn't work and should be evidenced by the lack of watermark on the first launch but I could be mistaken..
As far as anybody could reasonably tell, the 64-bit version works flawlessly. I have been using it for years to solve every issue dgvoodoo2 is intended is used to solve, have been able to configure watermark, etc.

Given this, there would be no reason for users to suspect dgvoodoo2 would be related to this issue. And given that most guidance I've seen on how to actually install dgvoodoo2 re: p99 advises the 64-bit version, I suspect that a lot of users are in the same situation I was.

Glad to hear another report supporting this being the issue, would be great to put this longstanding problem to rest once and for all.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:07 PM
Aviak

Aha my mistake on the 64 bit assumption then. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this over the past week, and I may have solved this for myself, though it's difficult to prove a negative. I found a location in Skyshrine where I could do some testing, where I was able to reproduce the issue within 5-10 minutes every time I made some changes to see if something worked. It's now been a day and a half of regularly trying in the same location and zero freezes. Still hard to say 100% solved, but definitely major improvements for me. Hoping I'm not jumping the gun here with only 1.5 days of freedom, but wanted to provide some info.

What worked for me is using the 32-bit dgvoodoo2 wrapper instead of the 64-bit. I incorrectly assumed the target architecture was intended for the OS, not the application. There are also user-written guides, forum posts, etc. out there that incorrectly recommend the same. But per the developer's own documentation: "D3D9 has both 32 and 64 bit versions. Always use the proper one, depending on the application type (not the OS type)." This also points to why some people have had dgvoodoo2 resolve this issue, while others have not.

As a bonus, this change also resolved a strange framerate issue I had been having for a very long time.

Would be interested in learning if this helps others. If not, happy to share some of my diagnostic experience this week and see if we can at least point to something.
I stopped crashing since D3D9.dll, been a few days
Old 03-11-2023, 12:24 PM
Skeleton

Hi friends, I’m sorry I’m definitely not as skilled technically as I wish I was. How do I select the 32 bit wrapper of dgvoodoo2? I’m not sure what that means. I went through the full dgvoodoo2 install and have it up and running, not seeing an option for 32 bit..

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2023, 06:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I stopped crashing since D3D9.dll, been a few days
Right on, but the whole point here is that there are 2 versions of D3D9.dll, and you definitely want the 32 bit version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeSeeker
How do I select the 32 bit wrapper of dgvoodoo2?
Copy it from the x86 folder instead of the x64 folder.