Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-01-2023, 09:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default kind of a fix for the original EQ battle music selections

the original everquest had 3 different choices for battle music when you hit auto-attack. they were picked at random each time. they were midi files (combat1.mid, combat2.mid, combat3.mid) and found in the main install folder. this is no longer the case with p99 (i guess?). for whatever reason it only plays 1 of the old 3 songs, every time

i made a post for the devs about this, and got no response. so here's something you can do, though it's far from perfect...

upon doing a normal install for p99, you will have a few mp3's in the main folder. the ones associated with battle music are combattheme1.mp3 and combattheme2.mp3. some people delete these, as they are not the original battle music, but something that sony did later on. i believe it was for planes of power. when you delete them, the game then relies on the old midi's (or emulated midi's i guess - depends on your soundcard). but again, it only plays 1 of them

p99 only seems to take into account combattheme1.mp3 and will only play this for battles. i have no idea what the purpose of combattheme2.mp3 is, as i can't get it to play during any battle

so what i did was record all 3 of the original songs, using the soundblaster AWE32/64 midi soundfont (based on the soundcard i had when EQ came out) and saved all 3 of these to combattheme1.mp3, with a 2-second pause between each track. the song you currently hear for battle (if using original music) is at the end, so you would have to have a 2+ minute fight to get to it now if you use my method

here is the replacement combatmusic1.mp3. you would need to download this, go to your main EQ directory, overwrite any file that may be there (might want back up the old one first): https://drive.google.com/drive/u/9/f...DVZXBUWcyTy8K0

and here are all 3 of the original battle songs in mp3 format, in case anyone figures this out: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/9/f...mpHHFbgYEGoWa7
Last edited by Kyra Succubus; 03-01-2023 at 09:33 PM..
Old 03-02-2023, 09:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

March 2 2023: i finally got combattheme2 to play (now available to download), though so far p99 seems to like to play combattheme1 way more often. i also added 1 second of silence before each track, as the game's fade-in was losing the first few notes of each battle theme. if you previously downloaded anything, you will want to do it again and overwrite