Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-08-2023, 01:23 PM
Aviak

Default Wiki issue / question

Since the wiki is not official I am guessing will be blasted posting this here but not sure where else to ask..

Chardok and Karnors wiki pages suddenly seem to be broken as far as the dynamic tables with the list of mobs and drops. The actual Mob/NPC pages still show data so i am guessing it has something to do specifically with how it maps to the table?

I went through a bunch of other zones and don't see this issue replicated elsewhere so far but i have not finished looking at all of them yet.

I am guessing it has to do with however this part works.

"{{Special[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]ynamicZoneList/Chardok}}"
Old 03-08-2023, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

You've basically figured it out.

Those "dynamic zone lists" are made by having some special code (written by wiki god Ravhin) run through all the pages in the wiki with that zone's category each night (or maybe every other night?). They parse through the page's data, build up a collection of info, and then use that collection to create the lists.

The problem is, that code can be a little ... finicky. So when it sees something it doesn't like, such as a weird unicode character, it breaks, which is what you're seeing here.

Unfortunately, there's only two ways to fix it. The first is extremely unreliable: you can PM Ravhin and beg him to take a look. I say it's unreliable because (AFAIK) he doesn't even play P99, and hasn't for awhile, so he's not exactly highly motivated.

The other option is to go through each page on that list, and check its history. If it has been changed recently (since you observed the zone list breaking), look at what changes were made, and look for anything that seems off. Once you fix it, you'll have to wait 24-48 hours to see if the zone list gets fixed.

Alternatively, you could instead use the recent changes page, https://wiki.project1999.com/Special:RecentChanges, and just wade through all the changes made recently, looking for ones made to Chardok/Karnor's pages. If you pick "Magelo: Blue" and check "Invert Selection", you can filter out all the Blue Magelo changes ... but there will still be a lot of pages to wade through.

I know that's not the most satisfying answer, but ... hopefully it helps explain things.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.