Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Orc

I rather enjoy either a mage or necro as an untwinked starter toon. So long as you get the first pet, you're pretty much good to go so long as you have an understanding of both classes. Manage your expectations and play to their strengths.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior/paladin/sk

people always twink them and ruin the fun of the early grind

walk the real path!
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Fire Giant

You are already in for a real tough road if you play a hybrid with the auld lang syne rule set; trying to solo will be frustrating and you'll probably be fear kiting or jousting, two very tedious ways to play a melee.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

Well if the main plan is solo then dont pick melee class untwink [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but if you want to group then its a blast
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Fire Giant

Enchanter.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Kobold

I would recommend going with one of your first choices, a SK or Pal. I've played this ruleset/style with a SK and quite enjoyed it. Much more rewarding playing this style as a melee class as you can really feel and appreciate every new piece of gear you get/replace, especially weapons.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well if the main plan is solo then dont pick melee class untwink [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but if you want to group then its a blast
Agreed. On melees, tanks especially, you can really feel those big upgrades; your dps rockets, you resist those slows with a little more regularity, you don't get hit quite as hard.

Solo:

Basically don't pick a gear dependant class unless overcoming unnecessary adversity is your idea of a good time (which, as an EQ player, I assume it is :P).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastagoog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman also has that grey area before it's pet...also after it for a bit ... hard to solo/ sorta must group 30's-40's without it been a super twink but BOY do they come alive in their 50's especially with an epic.

LET THE 5 MOB ROOT ROT BEGIN!
Even the grey area isn't so bad. Cast poison and spam cold nuke until mob is dead. Reroot adds and camp or zone out. Recover quickly with canni / regen and repeat. My ever/permafrost only gimmick untwinked shaman just hit 29. He can either tear through a bunch of mammoths in no time (abusing charm) or befriend a large dire wolf and destroy goblins in permafrost. Things seem good at the moment, but perhaps the next 4 levels will be less kind to him?
Last edited by Jimjam; 10-19-2017 at 02:19 AM..
Old 10-19-2017, 02:20 AM
Aviak

Literally any class is viable with a weapon and combat bind wound, i've seen warriors solo to 60, monks solo to 60...etc, all using cheap ass weapons and bind wound in combat (its 4x a fungi at appropriate level)

Casters are no different, drop a nuke, sick pet, bind wound then auto attack, it's always a recipe for success, even naked. Bandages take up most of your made money for nearly 30 levels but it evens out.

Shit even a wizard with a cheap staff could melee and bind wound their way to more viable spells (first ten or so levels is garbage for everyone I think)

it's about using what's available, almost any class can farm spider silk and bone chips from level 1, this gives you access to cheap/good weapons around level 6-8 maybe 10 if you're bad. If you farm enough (iksars can get close to 800 silk before level 10) you can grab some HP/ac rings and you're off the races.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 AM
Sarnak

Paladin
Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcosmin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's about using what's available, almost any class can farm spider silk and bone chips from level 1, this gives you access to cheap/good weapons around level 6-8 maybe 10 if you're bad. If you farm enough (iksars can get close to 800 silk before level 10) you can grab some HP/ac rings and you're off the races.
Except that from the standpoint of the OP farming spider silk and bonechips to sell for money to then use to buy powerful gear is cheating. He has to actually be level 50 to get that trash 50plat weapon. Auld rules for defining twinking are EXTREME to the maximum. He's not poor, he's choosing to avoid the economy entirely. He wants that minotaur axe to seem like the best weapon in the game for him at some point, like it did in 1999. He has to be level 34 to even attempt making his own 55hp ring (roughly, I forget the exact wording of the rule.)

Also @Jimjam at higher levels shaman don't get charm, so that does fall apart, slightly, but they get a lot of other awesome stuff to keep them from being sad. If you wanted charm and healing and utility though you'd have to be a druid. IIRC the highest level mob a shaman can ever charm is lvl33. (without something like puppet strings.)
Last edited by dbouya; 10-19-2017 at 04:19 AM..
Closed Thread