Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

Default Viability of Shaman and Rogue Duo

I'm talking with a friend about starting a duo that we play when we both happen to be online at the same time. For fun I was considering only leveling in the old worlds and not twinking at all since that is when we started back on live. I was thinking with Slows, Heals, and dots the sham could face tank while the rogue goes to town. Would this be a viable duo or would it run out pretty early due to terrible AC and HP on Sham and bad DPS on rogue due to gear?

If you added twinking into the mix how long could this duo go?

On another note since we don't play together often I was considering having a Druid or Wiz as one member of the duo so we could easily get to a spot to exp since most of the time we only have an hour or two and going somewhere only to find it heavily camped sucks. Any cool duos you can think of under the same non twinking old world that would be fun but still effective? Not concerned with min/max as I know the major power duos like ench/cleric and monk/sham but still would like it to be reasonably effective. Also don't want it to include a chanter as that is both our mains.

Lot of restrictions I know but think it would be fun and curious to hear what everyone thinks would be cool. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

I think most people would recommend Necros over Shaman to pair with rogues, because fear/snare just makes backstabbing so easy. But with that said, as a Shaman I've never had a problem duoing with rogues, so you should be able to make it work.

If you need a taunt as a Shaman I've found the blind spell works well (although it's been quite awhile since I used it that way so YMMV).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

Would go fine.

Shaman can tank, slow mobs while rogue destroys them with backstabs. Shaman slows are so OP'd on this game, I wouldn't be surprised if you could easily duo to 60 like this.

I think it would go really well, actually.

I solo'd my shaman to 55, and had I had a rogue that followed me around I only can imagine how much faster mobs would have died.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Orc

Shaman slow makes all the difference. It seems to be insane aggro too which basically means you both make a good team. The fast, sustained dps will only help everything the shaman basically does on its own. Talk about no downtime too...
Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman slow makes all the difference. It seems to be insane aggro too which basically means you both make a good team. The fast, sustained dps will only help everything the shaman basically does on its own. Talk about no downtime too...
Exactly, man there would be zero downtime.

Can do this also with a warrior btw, leveling up anyway.

In fact I would consider that if you like melee, and want a fun pairing with shaman.

A warrior dishes out nice damage, can tank for shaman if need be. Once you guys 60s, you could easily be big parts to a raid guild if you so wanted, too.

Also, as Loramin mentioned, as shaman you get blind and can use this just as a pally does, it holds great aggro aside from the slows which hold aggro well too.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

shm/rog is a good duo, shm can hold aggro via dots and slows without issue and root is always available otherwise

not quite as optimal as mnk/shm but you won't have any problems with levelling up
Old 05-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Going to do this on red with a friend when I get the time - not sure what race to go with the shaman but acquiring items at the moment. When we get started will post an update [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not sure what race to go with the shaman
... and let the massive ten-page flame-fest about which shaman race is the best begin ... now!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... and let the massive ten-page flame-fest about which shaman race is the best begin ... now!
Ogre of course. FSI and hidden values ftw!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you all for the feedback! I figured with slow being so powerful that the rogue could just tee off and there wouldn't be much down time. Should be a fun duo.

Shaman will probably go Ogre which I'm sure everyone will disagree with but oh well.
Closed Thread