Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Can anyone please tell me what the Skill Caps are for each tradeskill in Classic, Kunark and Velious?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frankly I never understood why the other tradeskills don't have a simple list of items like the Alchemy page does. And you can just sort them all at once. In my opinion the alchemy page should be the template for other tradeskills. Also it has a nice skill guide at the top.
idk maybe that's just my opinion

The tradeskills for sure need some going over.
If anyone wants to help contribute towards the wiki, hint hint
Have you seen the poison making page? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my opinion the alchemy page should be the template for other tradeskills.
I think a discussion about "what's the best way to show tradeskill info?" would be an awesome one to have.

There's a lot of good to be said about how the Alchemy page does things. But in the interest of trying to come up with the best solution possible, here are the things I dislike about the Alchemy page:
  • That "max skill" table feels like a waste of space to me.
  • The "Skill Range" column and the "Approx. Cost" columns in the "Suggested Progression" table both feel like they should be split into two columns.
  • I don't think we need four columns for the cost in the "Production Costs & Effects": I'd be fine with seeing that Blood of Wolf costs 5.52 (or whatever) plat.
  • The headers in that table get screwed up when you sort it (they all sort together, making them meaningless).
    • I think this could start a very interesting discussion. There's pros/cons to giant tables with every recipe that you can sort, and also to having a bunch of different tables, with groups of recipes, separated by headers (and also to what the Alchemy page does, which is sort of a hybrid)
  • I hate that you can't tell what many potions do without checking the Alchemy page (although really that's not a criticism of the page ...)
  • Related to that, I think the "Effect" and "Description" are largely redundant, and really there's no point in even having the Effect (all it is is the name of the ability, and a link that will say "this effect raises these stats" ... but then for the exact amount it raises you need to check the "Description" column ... so what value does "Effect" add? Plus, the effect is already there in another column, when you mouseover the potion itself)
  • I question if the "Components" column should be split into Component #1, #2, and #3 (this would let you sort them, so if you've got a stack of Lucern lying around and are trying to figure out what to make with it, you could sort by that component, which you can't do now ... although you'd still have to sort three columns, because Lucern could be in any of the three)
  • I really wonder if the Trade Supplier Locations table at the bottom should even exist. I feel like it should just be two lists of vendors: the ones that sell medicine bags, and the ones that sell Lucern.

Now to be clear, all of the above is just my 100% subjective opinion. I'm not stating them to declare "I'm right!" ... I'm stating them so people can agree or disagree respectfully, hopefully resulting in a productive conversation about what will be best for everyone (both for Alchemy and tradeskills in general).

And even if you don't feel like reading my giant laundry list, feel free to chime in with general opinions about (say) whether throwing every recipe into a single table, without headers is better (because all the recipes can be sorted), or whether it's better to not have one giant table and instead have tables for each grouping of item.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-08-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Read your post loramin and I can't really nit pick. I've worked on other mediawiki, wiki's with other people and it seems like group communication never works. I'll either defer to the admin(s) of the wiki on how they want it. OR just go ahead and change a page how I want to see it/feel is best.

Ultimately it's a wiki so if a user thinks they can improve it. Go right ahead. If someone else feels it can be improved after that, they can do so. Basically there is never going to be 1 right way to do any single page.

That being said I think there are some common practices we all agree on. So long as those are met each page can be different so long as it serves the end user effectively. Plus different pages may have different requirements. I was just prasing the alchemy page because it's uniform.

Edit: Trade suppliers at the bottom, I've never used that lol... I click each individual ingredient to see where I can buy them.
ps. I changed the tailoring level guide to a table. I like tables. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you seen the poison making page? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes it hurts my eyes to look at. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Baler; 10-08-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Read your post loramin and I can't really nit pick. I've worked on other mediawiki, wiki's with other people and it seems like group communication never works. I'll either defer to the admin(s) of the wiki on how they want it. OR just go ahead and change a page how I want to see it/feel is best.

Ultimately it's a wiki so if a user thinks they can improve it. Go right ahead. If someone else feels it can be improved after that, they can do so. Basically there is never going to be 1 right way to do any single page.

That being said I think there are some common practices we all agree on. So long as those are met each page can be different so long as it serves the end user effectively.

---

Yes it hurts my eyes to look at. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh 100%, and I definitely don't want to "make perfection the enemy of the good" (ie. focus so much on "bike shedding" and discussing what would be best that no one ever goes and changes everything).

But at the same time, before anyone dives in and puts a lot of time into overhauling any set of pages in the wiki (tradeskill or otherwise), I don't think it's a bad idea to get some community feedback first.

Ultimately you're right: whoever feels like doing the work will get to make an "executive decision" about what they think would be best for the wiki, and that's 100% how wikis are designed to work. I just want them to have a chance to consider other viewpoints they might not have, before making any decisions (so that no one has to go in and do yet another overhaul after to fix the thing the first overhauler didn't think of [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-08-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Sarnak

The wiki has it right. The monk silk armor is pretty cheap to make and skills up quickly. Bags sell well to recover money spent so make them when you get HQ bear pelts. Other types of armor take studs or boning which is why monk armor is cheapest. Too bad silk and Wu’s doesn’t sell well here but should do good on green until everyone can afford pantherskin.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The wiki has it right. The monk silk armor is pretty cheap to make and skills up quickly. Bags sell well to recover money spent so make them when you get HQ bear pelts. Other types of armor take studs or boning which is why monk armor is cheapest. Too bad silk and Wu’s doesn’t sell well here but should do good on green until everyone can afford pantherskin.
I believe the thread is about classic/vanilla. Wu's isn't until Velious, panther skin also.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I believe the thread is about classic/vanilla. Wu's isn't until Velious, panther skin also.
He might be referring to the gauntlets, which were available much earlier. Here's a Wayback Machine link for EQ Traders, Nov 28, 1999 (although the text on that page says "minor updates made 6/14/00", so I guess the Wayback Machine is confused?)

https://web.archive.org/web/19991128...eqtraders.com/

Quote:
Once raw silk armor is trivial for you, then you can start teaming up with a brewer to make cured silk armor, and with an enchanter to make Wu's Fighting Gauntlets for the monks (the only piece of "glowing silk" armor in the game so far), but definitely don't even think of trying to learn how to tailor on the more advanced items unless you have a lot of money you're willing to waste as you ruin things.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He might be referring to the gauntlets, which were available much earlier. Here's a Wayback Machine link for EQ Traders, Nov 28, 1999 (although the text on that page says "minor updates made 6/14/00", so I guess the Wayback Machine is confused?)

https://web.archive.org/web/19991128...eqtraders.com/
That was what I remembered, and from EQTraders too. Thanks Loramin.
Closed Thread