Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 06:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By 3 major guilds do you mean riot, ag, and kittens? Because freedom hasn't killed shit on their own without ag. The fact that you can have all but 1 guild in the UN agree to something and it doesn't mean shit because the 1 guild that loves to fuck with everyone else unless they get exactly what they want can come in and say nah fuck you all is a big reason rules and player agreements are so jacked and hard to implement. Make it a server rule that an agreement/rule is official when 90% of guilds who can kill X mob agree and the server immediately gets way better. Pick whichever X mob you want. Vindi, ring war, aary, KT, statue... etc.
Let me rephrase. You'd have to get enough of the major guild leaders to agree that the server staff would be willing to say "okay, this is how it's going to work now and we will enforce it."

Or the GMs could just do what I've been advocating in this thread previously, which is a top-down method of deciding things, since this community has proven time and time again they can't be trusted to handle anything on their own.
P99ers do a lot of things well. Handling surprise adds / splitting up focus is not one of them. Mostly because the classes that do that the best (SK/Paladins) are generally trashed and considered useless, and because pulls are considered failures if a dragons doesn't appear at the zone line solo.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grats on being an overall net negative asset to Riot via anti-LGBT rhetoric warding potential recruits away

It's okay though I understand where such emotions (usually) come from and forgive it
This guy doesn't even know what his signature means, he just thought it sounded smart.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with unrooted dragons is that the monks are STAR PLAYERS and everyone else sits at the TOV entrance with their dicks in their hands. Dragons are conveyor belted to entrance and the zone is cleared in 45 minutes with no trash killed. It's a lot easier and it's free pixels, but it's not how the game was meant to be played and while I'm sure it's a lot of fun for the pull teams, it's lame for the other 12 classes in EQ. Rooted dragons forces players to crawl TOV, which was the way the dungeon was meant to be played. It's not the devs' fault the players turned it into leapfrog stalemates.

It doesn't matter though because the larger problem is that no matter what meta the GMs adopt, the raid scene in P99 is always going to be a nightmare. When winning is more important than fun, which to the end-game raid guilds, it is, your raid scene is going to be a toxic mess. P99's raid scene is what happens when a bunch of grown men try to live out their e-sports fantasies in a 20 year old elf sim with refs that are never on the field. There's a reason literally every sport in existence has refs watching and ruling on every play in real time.

I'm not trying to bash staff here, but frankly they're creating more work for themselves by being reactive instead of proactive. It's like instead of washing their dishes after every meal like normal people, they opt to let the dirty dishes fill their entire kitchen and then fight the swarm of cockroaches every day. If it was me, I would disable all automatic respawn of raid mobs, and every Saturday at 3pm my GM team would log onto discord, pop a couple beers, and hit the earthquake button. Then we'd have at least 1 GM in every zone with 400% move speed, no aggro, and no clip mode on watching every raid and issuing penalties in real time. AG, that's a train on Eashen, you're DQed from Eashen for the rest of the day and you get a 15 minute timeout at the zoneline. Better luck next time. The players wouldn't have to deal with boring-ass tracking, parking buffed toons throughout the week, all that stupid crap, and the GMs would only have to deal with the raiders' crap for 3-4 hours a week. It would be win-win for everyone.

But I'm sure some of you would complain because it's "not classic" or some stupid crap like that. I don't care.
I know this argument and completely disagree with it. (respectfully). Monks were not the best class at pulling to entrance. I'd say mages are. In fact, monks are only critical for tagging out... and even then not really. If I were pulling vulak..... i'd rather be an enchanter, mage, necro, cleric, shaman, druid, bard.. over my monk. The more DA's the better.

And from a classic standpoint, many guilds in era pulled dragons across the zone to kill in different spots.

It's not a loot conveyor belt. I don't give a fuck about the loot. If somebody did nothing but sit at entrance, it was their choice. Which was a fine choice, because not everybody wants to be a playmaker. And that's true even in the current meta. But classes were not pigeonholed.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know this argument and completely disagree with it. (respectfully). Monks were not the best class at pulling to entrance. I'd say mages are. In fact, monks are only critical for tagging out... and even then not really. If I were pulling vulak..... i'd rather be an enchanter, mage, necro, cleric, shaman, druid, bard.. over my monk. The more DA's the better.

And from a classic standpoint, many guilds in era pulled dragons across the zone to kill in different spots.

It's not a loot conveyor belt. I don't give a fuck about the loot. If somebody did nothing but sit at entrance, it was their choice. Which was a fine choice, because not everybody wants to be a playmaker. And that's true even in the current meta. But classes were not pigeonholed.
Anyone with the right gear / clickies / knowledge can do the pulls. It's intimidating to learn them without FD.

Also it doesn't change the fact that regardless of which classes are doing the pull, 90% of your raid is sitting at the entrance waiting for a dragon to be delivered to them. During the era of dragon pulls to entrance, most players never stepped foot past the ToV entrance. That's not how the game was meant to be played, period. That's why as soon as players started figuring out how to do these pulls on live, the devs rooted the dragons to put a stop to it. P99 staff just waited 4 years because reasons.
P99ers do a lot of things well. Handling surprise adds / splitting up focus is not one of them. Mostly because the classes that do that the best (SK/Paladins) are generally trashed and considered useless, and because pulls are considered failures if a dragons doesn't appear at the zone line solo.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Forgive the double post. I really didn't want to address you nitpicking the least important part of my OP, but it's just annoying me. We could argue about what class is the 'best' for pulling til we are blue in the face since 'best' is a matter of opinion. But what's entirely objective and demonstrable is 'most common'. Go look at any pull video from the TOV race / pull era and I know what you will see on the starting line - Iksar monks as far as the eye can see. There's a reason for that. Other classes might have been better in theory but in practice there was one class that was far and away the most commonly used for pull teams.

Again though, this is a huge derailing from the 2 main points I was trying to make.

1. Trains to entrance was not the way the game was meant to be played.

2. It doesn't matter what meta you adopt, the p99 raid scene will always be toxic as long as it relies on the self-policing petition system.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It's not a loot conveyor belt. I don't give a fuck about the loot.
So then it's Postmates.

Quote:
If somebody did nothing but sit at entrance, it was their choice. Which was a fine choice, because not everybody wants to be a playmaker. And that's true even in the current meta. But classes were not pigeonholed.
There is such a thing as having too many pullers out. Also, pull teams were generally well established and adding a new member risked interrupting the order/routinization of pulls, giving the opposition an advantage.

Everybody can make plays without aspiring to be "playmakers" when having to react to the unexpected. Those who are wary of taking initiative will see the spam / hear the call from officers to intervene which is easier to do since the pressure's off and shit has already hit the fan. If you fail, no one will fault you for it and if you succeed, everyone will praise you. When camp has to be on the move, anything can happen. But it's next to impossible to contribute anything when the crawl is taken out of the dungeon.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:48 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TrKMBd5TsI
Old 12-30-2020, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not very good at taking lines.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with unrooted dragons is .....

But I'm sure some of you would complain because it's "not classic" or some stupid crap like that. I don't care.
This was spot on.

1. There were lots of petitions going out back then as well, with trains flying everywhere and not being considerate of others. Why would we go backwards? We've done that before.

2. Where can I sign up to be a Real Time Raiding Ref?
Old 12-30-2020, 11:26 PM
Banned

@GM's+

Only 1 GM needs to sit in ToV during a quake and look around for 2-3hrs. Take some notes (Record it), present the problems list up the chain of command, discuss a plan and formulate, provide the guidance back down to the plebes.

/thumbsup

You'd save a ton of man hours if you just got ahead of it all and lay down your laws in accordance with the direction .
Closed Thread