Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 01:37 AM
Orc

Default Thunderstorms missing rain sound effects/lightning/on-screen message

Has anyone else experienced this recently? I haven't been playing for a while, but now that I'm coming back the last week I'm running into this issue.

Rain used to put a message on the screen that said "It begins to rain" and you'd get the rain sound effects along with the lightning flashes. I found the original sound effects to be overbearing so I swapped out the sound file for a much milder loop, which always worked flawlessly.

Now when it rains, the rain just starts coming down, and visibility will reduce in zones like Feerrott, but it seems 'patchy', like it's only raining in certain outside areas as if it's a glitch that it's raining in the first place. There's also no sound effects to go along with it, no on-screen message, no lightning flashes. I haven't seen the on-screen message stating that it begins to rain since I've been back. I verified that others are experiencing the same thing in the zone with me.

I've found this mentioned in a couple other threads but nobody ever replied to them and instead of necro'ing those I wanted to see if anyone has this issue as of today (v45 build) and if there's a way to fix it.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 AM
Planar Protector

I had a similar problem and I fixed it by copying some of the live weather files...

I'd definitely suggest you back up your current install before you try something like that.

Doing this also seemed to extend the reaches of my far clip plane too :S.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Orc

What do you mean copying some of the live weather files, you mean replacing them or maybe reinstalling the client or something? I'll definitely try that if it works.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Planar Protector

I mean having a second install which is an uptodate version of live, then finding the files/folders which look weather related in the p99 install (backing them up) and copying new versions of these files to the p99 install from the live install.

Might be a good way to junk your install or cause all sorts of bugs, but it worked well for me. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly which files I had copied so I can't give advice on that area. It worked for me though!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Orc

Actually it was because I hadn't left Feerrott/Innothule yet, apparently those zones don't get the full-on storm. Worked fine once I was in south Ro.