Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also read this paper. May I suggest you take a different tack? The guy is an exercise physiologist. His area of expertise is oxygen starvation. The biggest problem we have right now is "oh, it's no big deal, just wear a mask" people. What you should be saying is "Let us imagine that masks did somehow work and stop COVID. Guess what? They increase your resting heart rate by 5 bpm! They increase your stress response! Low oxygen causes CANCER! Where are your clinical studies that long term mask wearing is safe? Because you only have a 0.25% chance of dying from COVID aka the flu. If improving your odds there costs you a 10% chance of a bout with cancer due to low oxygenation, are you really winning?"
Who needs to bother with peer review when we have ignorant Republicans eager to confirm their biases?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Science major, check.
By the way dude, I get it. It's pretty clear you have 15 IQ points on our pal G13 (not that he is stupid, by any means). I'd guess something like this is going on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi's Ego According to Raev
I'm a good person! I care about other people, and I wear a mask to keep them safe and, hey, even if it doesn't do all that much at least they can feel comfortable around me and I'm willing to make that sacrifice for them because I'm a good person. Hey, here's this retard on the internet posting an unreviewed paper claiming that I'm a BAD PERSON and my FACE DIAPER doesn't work. I'm going to go dunk on him in a polite way. <google search> OK, here's this paper regarding masks and N95 respirators. It doesn't say exactly what I was looking for, but if N95s are better than masks, masks should be better than nothing at all. And it's peer reviewed and a RCT! Plus, if I am wrong about this then I have to wonder why CNN, NPR, WaPo, and everyone I meet are telling me that masks work. IF they don't, then I have to reevaluate my whole life. All of my friends are suddenly idiots. That's definitely not the case, right? Of course not. I mean, my friends are good people too and they are all highly educated and interesting, intelligent people. I'm definitely not wrong, and I'll insert a few zingers just to make my intellectual superiority clear. <post>
I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for this because I tend to do the same thing. And you aren't wrong; you aren't a bad person at all. The problem is you are a PERSON. Even when you have the IQ points, it takes a huge amount of mental discipline to lock the emotional self away in a corner and prevent your mind from coming to the desired conclusion rather than the correct one, and I certainly don't always succeed myself.

So my challenge to you is: go read a few peer reviewed papers from both sides. Lock your emotional self away. See what conclusion you come to. Start with this one, the 6000 man Danish study. There are, by the way, several flaws with it. I won't give away the surprise, though!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Defending a non-peer reviewed medical journal that's known mostly for promoting AIDS denialism while accusing the other guy of being brainwashed by the mainstream media is peak American conservatism.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

"masks dont work unless theyre n95 but I wont get one of those instead ill post about how masks dont work I am very smart lol"
Old 04-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Being unemployed and posting Twitter articles 24/7 is peak American liberalism
Old 04-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Sweden is not the shining gun you think it is, for various reason.
First, if they don't want to work, they don't have to, because of strong social nets and this mean, if someone is sick, or think they are, they can safely stay home which already creates quite a drastically different experience than the US could ever hope to achieve.
Secondly, they are more educated.
Sorry not sorry but the USA is not known for their brightest, uh Florida.

Lastly, they didn't have to lockdown because most people did just that, of their own volition because that country cares about each others.

Also it is weird because sometimes, I just say, "the us is similar to that..." and before I get to finish my sentence, you get angry that I could have linked the US to an inferior country but then again, I forgot that if it further your agenda you will have no qualms comparing.

Lastly, it has truly been refreshing see people on the right spew shit like my body my choice.... about a mask?!

We see you, hypocrites.
We fucking see you.

Sweden is not the model you think it is, by any measure.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Being unable to distinguish leftists from liberals is peak American flyover.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being unable to distinguish leftists from liberals is peak American flyover.
Got me there, you’re all dickless unemployeds to me
Old 04-18-2021, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got me there, you’re all dickless unemployeds to me
I don't know why a single person is worried about you lunatics having a chance in hell of making a comeback during the midterms.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:09 PM
Banned

Would one of you DFL types care to lay out the requirements for masks not being required?

What hypothetical hurdles would a society have to clear before the reality is acceptable?
Closed Thread