Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Send a message via AIM to avant_tard
Default Netgear Router woes?

Hello all! I played on this server back at launch, quit for a couple months, and am now trying to play my old toons again.

During the break, I switched to a Netgear modem/router, model DGN1000. Has anyone used or is using this router that can help? I can get as far as character select, but when I try to enter the world I immediately get the black SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING screen. some research has led me to believe it is a router firewall or port forwarding issue, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the setting that will make this work!

Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

Go into your router and try to activate a setting called UPnP (if it exists). Otherwise try opening port 5998.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Orc

Exclamation

Hey, I'm the OP's brother, and for the life of me I can't get any EQEmu servers to load past the character select screen. We have no problem picking servers, or seeing our chracters. Attempting to log-in to any of these characters leads to the "The Server is Not Responding" black screen of lame.

I'm (mostly) convinced that this DGN 1000 Netgear router is causing the problem. I know EQEmu works on my current comp because I tested it at home before coming out here to visit my family. Multiple computers in my current location are also returning the same error. All other online games are working on this particular connection, including World of Warcraft (not me, I swear!) Age of Conan, Battlefield games, and assorted LAN games. In addition, EQEmu worked with the 'old' router that used to be here, unfortunately we can't find it.

We have tried the following:

-uPnP is turned on
-the Router firewall is turned off (Using the "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection" option)
-ports are forwarded to my IP (using the ports listed here in a previous post by a dev, and every port that we have tested with portforward.com's port checker tool is confirmed to be open)
-Disable/Enable "SIP ALG". Don't fully understand this one, but have tried it on/off in various combinations with other settings
-There is another "Disable Firewall" option, it is under the NAT settings. Selecting this option also disables NAT, which basically breaks the LAN. So I'm not sure what to make of this one.

None of the settings seem to change the behavior of the client, in that it has no problem seeing/selecting servers and characters, but it continues to return the "Server has stopped responding" message.

If anyone has any advice, I have a group of people here dying to play Project 1999. Thanks in advance for any leads or information.

EDIT: Just wanted to make it clear, we are aware of the multibox policy on P1999, and have only been attempting to log in one client at a time. Since the other servers aren't working either, I don't think this is the issue. If we can get this working, I will petition for IP exemption.
Last edited by Waldo73; 06-16-2010 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Orc

Smile

Just wanted to update this post with the fix we found..

Our multiplexing method was set to 'VC' instead of 'LLC'. Apparently, the router was incorrectly set up when it was installed.

All systems are go now! Look forward to seeing you all out there.