Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

Would two rangers make for a solid duo once you hit lvl12+, considering you'd both wanna go archery without having money for real twinking?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd add this.

Befriend a rogue. Fear kiting without a caster, no need for a healer, very little downtime and great DPS = good xp when groups are not available.
I second this notion. I was on a druid but snare dot run around like a retard and sit while the rogue backstabs. Little or no heals, little or no downtime, an interesting alternative and decent exp nonetheless.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would two rangers make for a solid duo once you hit lvl12+, considering you'd both wanna go archery without having money for real twinking?
I wouldn't go archery. One ranger snares/flame licks mob, the other follows behind slashing it if you really wanna do it that way. If you wanna spend the money on the arrows, the kiter could run backwards and shoot arrows I suppose. Take turns to space out the tedium. Pain in the ass though... this ain't Luclin with EQ/AM3.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Last edited by YendorLootmonkey; 01-30-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't go archery. One ranger snares/flame licks mob, the other follows behind slashing it if you really wanna do it that way. If you wanna spend the money on the arrows, the kiter could run backwards and shoot arrows I suppose. Take turns to space out the tedium. Pain in the ass though... this ain't Luclin with EQ/AM3.
Oh, another thing regarding this - creating low-level arrows is more effective than buying them.

I think parabolic fletchings and medium nocks...although I may be remembering incorrectly are what I use. They trivial somewhere 40-60, have a high range addition to your bow, and are incredibly cheap (cheaper than merely buying them from a vendor).

Another not-oft mentioned advantage is that 4 stacks of each of the required items for an arrow makes a little under 5 stacks of arrows (counting failures despite trivial level). That does save a little bag space...

i tend to have a couple stacks of each arrow component on me at all times, so I can do a little combining while I do other things. I even combine mats while i'm running places - you can even do it while in combat between kicks if you're fast like me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd add this: USE FLAME LICK.

It's damage/mana ratio is awesome. Keep it up all the time.
My Ranger on Live still had Flame Lick memorized at level 68. One of the benefits of a ranger is the ability to quickly gain agro. If your healer starts getting beat on (and you have no Enchanter to piss of with DOTs) flame lick will almost get you instant agro. Pull the mob off healer and then root it off to the side if you are outdoors or off tank if you aren't. Incredibly useful spell.

When you get Jolt it gets even better. Rangers become great agro managers with the ability to quickly gain and lose agro. They are excellent crowd controllers and pullers...especially outdoors.
Allabahallaban - Iksar Monk
<Azure Guard>
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Pull the mob off healer and then root it off to the side if you are outdoors or off tank if you aren't. Incredibly useful spell.
We can root indoors from level 15 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Too bad we can't invis indoors until 49 =(

Quote:
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

So if a pair of rangers go at it together, one can hold aggro unlimitedly with flame lick? Assuming you keep it snared, the other is then free to pummel it from behind eh? A ranger/rogue combination seems worthwhile too. Or ranger/druid, but fuck me if this server needs any more druids.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if a pair of rangers go at it together, one can hold aggro unlimitedly with flame lick? Assuming you keep it snared, the other is then free to pummel it from behind eh? A ranger/rogue combination seems worthwhile too. Or ranger/druid, but fuck me if this server needs any more druids.
More druids = cheap ports

Quote:
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
To be honest...have flame lick on it for the extra DoT damage and aggro, but on P99 it doesn't seem to aggro as much as I remember it doing on live. I rely on snare a lot more to draw aggro despite it being less efficient. I would re-snare to maintain aggro if you're finding that you have to re-cast flame lick way too often.

Any other rangers feel like flame lick drew more aggro back in the day than it does here?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any other rangers feel like flame lick drew more aggro back in the day than it does here?
Yes, although this is very anecdotal and tough to judge since I wasn't really aware of the power of it to draw aggro on my first go around until probably past level 50. But since it was such a powerful tool to draw aggro past level 50, and hell I probably used it til 70 or 75 (can't really remember if / when I stopped using it), you'd think it would be more effective in the oldest content (with less damage around) and not less effective as I'm finding it. I just remember that snare + FL + melee was almost a sure way to hold aggro if you wanted to tank, and playing up to 45 on this server so far, that has not been nearly as effective.
Last edited by Sparkin; 01-31-2011 at 06:17 PM..
Closed Thread