Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 PM
Planar Protector

i found mage to be pretty relaxed at max level

having a no-nonsense pet that can camp lots of things without much effort is enjoyable. other classes can do more, but for things in the 1-40 range, like hill giants or quest mobs for all of the class armor, a mage pet with a couple of summoned swords does just fine

plus the ds is welcome for helping newbs
Old 10-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

What do you mean, "you people?"
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

having a no-nonsense pet that can camp lots of things without much effort is enjoyable. other classes can do more, but for things in the 1-40 range, like hill giants or quest mobs for all of the class armor, a mage pet with a couple of summoned swords does just fine

That's my take on it. In pre Kunark the Magician + pet are freakin' beasts and welcome in any group, and the moment Kunark hits you're able to summon your own 10 slot 100% bags for maximum farming. But my goal will be to gut it out to 60, have the lvl 60 water pet with a water staff to focus it for omgwtf free damage for chardok and other fun spots. I understand that the Enchanter is stronger in many ways, but the Magician is just so relaxing to play. It's my sincere hope that there's a number of gnomish tinkers on launch willing to rapidly raise their skill to sell spyglasses. I can't think of any other gem refresh clickies that are easy to get, aside from Najena's Jboots.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you try and provide some insights into what class you would suggest as being the most enjoyable as a non-raider? You sound uniquely qualified to answer this question.
I would vote Enchanter or Shaman. Top-tier group desirability for high end camps (Fungi / Juggs etc) and simultaneously the best soloers/farmers.

ALSO the two best classes for the "Solo Artist Challenges" if you want some more difficult solo play once you're max level!

Oh and as others have noted Shammy is AMAZING for buffing lowbies (especially undergeared players on a fresh server)
Last edited by Vizax_Xaziv; 10-23-2019 at 09:32 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oooh this too. No better class (IMO) for pure plat / tradeskill farming. Maybe not the FASTEST per se but incredibly hands-off and laid back playstyle
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm wondering if anyone can help shine some light on what people do on p99 who don't raid. I've raided with the big dogs here and for numerous reasons I won't be doing that and have little desire to do that. I'm trying to figure out which class is best for a non-raider to extract the most enjoyment out of this era of EQ. Right now I'm leaning toward a Necro due to the solo gameplay and the benefits of FD.
  • What Class is best for a non-raider?
  • What are some fun things to do as a non-raider?
This thread seems right up my alley. Raiding has never been a big deal to me on P1999, and neither do I have a great deal of interest in alts. What I do have, however, is a built-in duo since the wife also plays. What do we do? Simple--play the game. There's a large amount of level 50+ content in this game suited for max-level characters, so we log on and do something that seems like it'd be fun. That might be anything from fighting hill giants to battling our way up Skyshrine to taking a sightseeing tour around in the Hole or Velketor or numerous other places. An important element of this is we enjoy playing the game for its own sake, outside a gear grind, although we do take breaks from time to time as with most any hobby. Players who're here mostly for a sense of gear/stat progression are usually mystified by us.

Necromancer is a fair choice if you're going to be solo a lot. I like it better than Magician because it offers better ability to get into difficult areas, easier time breaking camps, and better ability to escape bad situations without having to gate. As a pet class (and like the Magician) the Necromancer is not heavily gear dependent; I think being a non-raider goes hand in hand with not worrying about gear overmuch, at least to a degree.

It's difficult to find groups as a level 60 except with friends outside a handful of specific camps like fungus king. Even leveling guildmates (in a variety of guilds, I've been a bunch of them) often prefer not to group with 60's because of the notion that the 60 "sucks" up more experience. Fill out that friend list if you don't want to be mostly solo.

Danth
Old 10-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone can help shine some light on what people do on p99 who don't raid. I've raided with the big dogs here and for numerous reasons I won't be doing that and have little desire to do that. I'm trying to figure out which class is best for a non-raider to extract the most enjoyment out of this era of EQ. Right now I'm leaning toward a Necro due to the solo gameplay and the benefits of FD.
  • What Class is best for a non-raider?
  • What are some fun things to do as a non-raider?
very easy and that would be shaman and enchanter, they can do the most endgame farming outside of raiding and do it at will independent of other players

my understanding was people who dont raid just farm plat to twink alts
Old 10-23-2019, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my understanding was people who dont raid just farm plat to twink alts
Not me. Don't care about alts. Don't care about raids, either. Probably true for some folks though; there are surely folks out there who simply level character after character because that's what they like.

Enchanter and Shaman are both good choices, with the caveat that Enchanters can be rage-inducing owing to how random they can be. I can't stand playing that class. Shamans are safer, but slow and only truly come into their own at the very end after a huge platinum investment.

Danth
Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not me. Don't care about alts. Don't care about raids, either. Probably true for some folks though; there are surely folks out there who simply level character after character because that's what they like.

Enchanter and Shaman are both good choices, with the caveat that Enchanters can be rage-inducing owing to how random they can be. I can't stand playing that class. Shamans are safer, but slow and only truly come into their own at the very end after a huge platinum investment.

Danth
ENC is really easy man, and shamans are still amazing before torpor
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ENC is really easy man, and shamans are still amazing before torpor
Guess I'm too used to having access to the wife's Shaman, which has had torpor for many years. Feels dreary playing one that doesn't have it. Granted, I don't particularly like the Shaman anyway, the class is strong but its mechanics aren't much fun, which is why it's her character and not mine. She loves the thing, though, and can't stand playing much of anything else anymore.

Enchanter makes me rage. I hate it. Hate hate hate hate it. Too RNG dependent. Easy and fun aren't the same thing; I could run one but I'd always loathe every second of it. It's a strong choice for folks who can tolerate it.

Danth
Closed Thread