Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 02:20 PM
Large Rat

Default Lets get a P1999: Purple!!!

Doesn't seem to be another good spot to start this thread, so I'll put it here for now.

How about a P1999: Purple????
Meaning Roleplay preferred server with the original Firiona Vie ruleset. As far as I remember, there were 4 major differences on the server.

1.) Languages had to be learned! You started with your race's native language and had to learn the others by talking to other players. Only humans, half elves, and maybe barbarians knew common tongue. It was kind of wild back in the day grouping with people and not being able to communicate with them for days. There was a nice sense of accomplishment too when you finally learned all the languages.

2.) Free Trade server. With the exception of epic related drops, there were almost no NO-DROP items. I remember being able to buy a Carmine Robe in the EC market. I also remember my guild doing trickle-down DKP during raids. Meaning, player 1 bids DKP and wins a shiny new item. Then his old item was DKP bidded and player 2 wins that, and then his old item DKP bidded, etc until there was no more interest. Makes raids interesting, cause a lot more people can benefit from a single loot drop. I do remember though, as a wizard, I had to specifically loot the Blue Crystal Staff and Gnarled staff myself. Those epic pieces remained no-drop.
Another perk, is it also makes trade skills much much more profitable. The coldain shawl quest items were tradeable, which makes spending the time on brewing or baking much more profitable.

3.) Trivial Loot Rule. If the mob does not give you XP, it does not drop loot. This added an interesting dynamic to the game, because now, perhaps you didn't want to just rush to 50 or 60 asap. If you really wanted to explore the game and see certain dungeons, you had to really consider where to do your levelling. It also prevents high levels from running through a lower level zone and farming up the drops.

4.) All players were in /roleplay. You had to consider other players the same way you did mobs. You didn't know immediately what level / class a person was.
/anon was still available too if you wanted to hide the guild tag.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

Add pvp and this sounds litty.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Servers cost a lot, both literally in terms of eating up money (initially and on a monthly basis), and (and I suspect this is the far greater cost) in terms of volunteer time.

There was just recently a call for new volunteers, because just supporting the three servers we already have is more than the current ones can handle. So as much fun as a Firiona Vie-like server would be here ... as cool as the "payoff" of having such a server might be ... I don't think it will come anywhere close to what it will "cost".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:56 PM
Banned

i put on my robe and wizard hat
Old 03-27-2021, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

purple99 better be teams99!
Old 03-27-2021, 03:22 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-27-2021, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Theres already a server no one plays on
Old 03-27-2021, 03:29 PM
Aviak

They also had a one character per account limit, though that's obviously not as effective on P99.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't seem to be another good spot to start this thread, so I'll put it here for now.

How about a P1999: Purple????
Meaning Roleplay preferred server with the original Firiona Vie ruleset. As far as I remember, there were 4 major differences on the server.

1.) Languages had to be learned! You started with your race's native language and had to learn the others by talking to other players. Only humans, half elves, and maybe barbarians knew common tongue. It was kind of wild back in the day grouping with people and not being able to communicate with them for days. There was a nice sense of accomplishment too when you finally learned all the languages.

2.) Free Trade server. With the exception of epic related drops, there were almost no NO-DROP items. I remember being able to buy a Carmine Robe in the EC market. I also remember my guild doing trickle-down DKP during raids. Meaning, player 1 bids DKP and wins a shiny new item. Then his old item was DKP bidded and player 2 wins that, and then his old item DKP bidded, etc until there was no more interest. Makes raids interesting, cause a lot more people can benefit from a single loot drop. I do remember though, as a wizard, I had to specifically loot the Blue Crystal Staff and Gnarled staff myself. Those epic pieces remained no-drop.
Another perk, is it also makes trade skills much much more profitable. The coldain shawl quest items were tradeable, which makes spending the time on brewing or baking much more profitable.

3.) Trivial Loot Rule. If the mob does not give you XP, it does not drop loot. This added an interesting dynamic to the game, because now, perhaps you didn't want to just rush to 50 or 60 asap. If you really wanted to explore the game and see certain dungeons, you had to really consider where to do your levelling. It also prevents high levels from running through a lower level zone and farming up the drops.

4.) All players were in /roleplay. You had to consider other players the same way you did mobs. You didn't know immediately what level / class a person was.
/anon was still available too if you wanted to hide the guild tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Add pvp and this sounds litty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i put on my robe and wizard hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
purple99 better be teams99!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apathe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They also had a one character per account limit, though that's obviously not as effective on P99.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Obviously hard-coded level limits. So high lvls can't heal or drop skin on newbies. And would love to see a more guildwars implementation of pvp. So there'd be like 5 hard-coded teams.
Closed Thread