Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Kobold

Default .dll

not saying the staff will, but i heard one of these files in the folder like tracks everything i do on my computer, so in theory, can't they see when people log private e-mails, bank accounts, etc?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Planar Protector

negative. its explained in another thread ill dig it up later.

sort of the wrong forum for this, just a heads up

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Kobold

sorry! didn't know where to post
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

no worries

Quote:
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sort of the wrong forum for this, just a heads up
On the contrary, I feel technical discussion is the perfect place to argue details of the anti-hack dll. Its a technical/code discussion about server-specific Everquest code, its intentional (not a server bug).

As far as the DLL's function, I'll refer you to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not trying to troll here, but doesn't dsetup.dll read the unique BIOS strings of the system and attempt to detect if its running in a wine or virtualbox environment?
Nope. Doesn't do anything even remotely close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The dsetup.dll has also been packaged with a packer that encrypts the contents of the dll and kills EQ if it detects a debugger running.
This is true, one of the ways people try to circumvent the DLL is by using debuggers to see the call stacks and the way that our DLL interacts with the EQ process, among other reasons that someone would use a debugger on the client, the majority of those reasons are malicious. And yes, the contents are encrypted, that is a no brainer.. if they weren't it would be cracked/bypassed within minutes.

Quote:
I was always under the impression that some data was being sent back -- are you saying it is in fact not?
The way most third party programs work is by injecting themselves into the client. When our DLL detects this occur, information about all the modules loaded into the EQ client get logged and sent. Let me be clear that it is only the modules loaded into the game itself that are sent. This is contained within the EQ Process.

Other than that, the only information that is sent on a regular basis would be hardware ID's that we can use to distinguish your computer from anyone else's. This helps us deter two boxing and track down hackers, dupers, RMT, and etc even if they change their external IP address, which is a common occurance. These ID's are arbitrary and do not personally identify you in any way.

To be honest, more information could be gained from the public IP address you use to access anything and everything, than we could get from anything the DLL sends us.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Kobold

Thanks for the quick replies
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Planar Protector

thats the post i was lookin for, thanks falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote: