Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the info. Figured was the case [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

Funny how a couple years and 5 levels/AA's can change things up. That said, I've seen the P99 folks do crazy feats far beyond the typical timeline. 20 years of strategy goes a long ways.
We used an interesting tactic on Brother Z one day when we had three monks with their riposte discipline. Each used their disc on Brother Z until it expired, then feigned to the next who feigned to the next who finally feigned to the tank. Z was down to about 60% when I finally picked him up. Not sure if the same would work as well with rangers and jolt, but it might be fun to try. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonderbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Evasive is useful against General in Kith since his 500 dd lifetap procs just about every other hit it seems.

Also I've heard that its good to use on glimmer drakes to limit dispel proc, but can't confirm it actually helps more than defensive.
If you avoid 25% of the glimmer drake procs that just means they only proc about 132,763 times a fight. If you stand at max melee range opposite the tank you can avoid the dispell, but then you have to push them to keep them from gating anyway.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how nice to have an experienced raid tank sharing knowledge here!

my question would be, what is the rule of thumb on when to use evasive vs. def? there may not be one but one that covers 90+% of the scenarios is good enough

for example gwurms in skfyfire, i find def to be more effective than evasive for some reason and it contradicts with my past experience
Evasive will likely always result in lower total damage intake on average. For raid encounters where mobs hit extremely hard and you have an established complete heal chain, defensive is preferable as it will more reliably keep you save from being 1-2 rounded. For such encounters, the biggest goal is to minimize the your chances of that worst case scenario and defensive holds the advantage on mobs that don't have nasty dangerous procs (ie like the mobs referenced by the OP in the original post).

On raids the mobs 'dps' isn't what kills tanks. Damage spikes kill tanks. Defensive negates this.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-28-2018, 01:59 AM
Kobold

[QUOTE=Arkanjil;2763580First off, when grouping, you should be using this disc almost every time it’s up.[/QUOTE]

While it does have a rather short cool down and helps your cleric keep their mana up I still like to keep evasive ready for when things go south.

One such example was when I was in HS and the monks pull went real bad, he died instantly and too close to camp. The five or so mobs he had on him were close enough that they ended up aggroing the medding cleric ( no the cleric didn't heal the monk ) pretty much instantly killing her too. What was left of the group at this point was the enchanter, me , sub 60 shammy, and a wizard. Things went well after this as the enchanter had everything locked down...untill her pet broke at a bad time and ate her. The three of us remaining ended up living via root CC and slowly killing the rest of the mobs, was pretty glad I had evasive saved for that lol.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanjil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys! I see this question come up a lot with new warriors in our guild and figured I’d make a post detailing when to use this wonderful disc.

First off, when grouping, you should be using this disc almost every time it’s up. Especially when not facing higher lvls mobs that require Defensive, like the Temple Guards or Guardians of Zek in Kael. Evasive in grouping saves the healer sooo much mana every time it’s up that it dramatically increases the efficiency that pulls can come in
You do understand that using evasive cuts your DPS by the same 25% and 35% for defensive right?

I'm certainly not convinced that in most groups this will increase overall efficiency unless your healer is having a really hard time with mana, which, for me anyways, is quite rare.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do understand that using evasive cuts your DPS by the same 25% and 35% for defensive right?

I'm certainly not convinced that in most groups this will increase overall efficiency unless your healer is having a really hard time with mana, which, for me anyways, is quite rare.
Well of course I understand that's what it says on paper silly goose! Do you know it doesn't actually parse out that way on either end? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You don't have to be convinced, this is one person's opinion on how to keep a group humming along and when to use this disc on raids [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

I went evasive recently as ramp tank on vindi and got a run of bad luck. I know you can potentially avoid more damage on vindi with evasive, but it didn’t turn out well that time. Will be running defensive next time.
<The Second Sons>
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanjil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well of course I understand that's what it says on paper silly goose! Do you know it doesn't actually parse out that way on either end? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You don't have to be convinced, this is one person's opinion on how to keep a group humming along and when to use this disc on raids [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah his math is definitely off lol. Reducing warrior dps by 35% is a much lower decrease in dps compared to a decrease in mob dps at the same 35%.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I went evasive recently as ramp tank on vindi and got a run of bad luck. Will be running defensive next time.
When I did my tank simulations, defensive CLOBBERED evasive by a huge amount. It was something like:
  • No disc: 2.5s CH chain recommended
  • Evasive: 3s CH chain recommended
  • Defensve: 4.5s CH chain recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to say that defensive and evasive don't reduce your damage output here due to replicated Verant bugs.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
We used an interesting tactic on Brother Z one day when we had three monks with their riposte discipline. Each used their disc on Brother Z until it expired, then feigned to the next who feigned to the next who finally feigned to the tank. Z was down to about 60% when I finally picked him up. Not sure if the same would work as well with rangers and jolt, but it might be fun to try. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine this on vindi with 50 monks all with IFS or tstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Closed Thread