Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 PM
Sarnak

Default Shock of Poison

So I'm currently loving my level 27 necro.

Since level 24, though, I've felt like an OP wizard. Shock of Poison has, at the low end, a 1.4 DPM ratio. Basically, only Heat Blood and Darkness beat it at my level (disease dot too, nominally, but that takes forever). BUT, using Shock means I need fewer fears.

I know this will change when I hit 29 and start getting truly efficient DoTs, but am I missing something? Is there any reason not to just nuke the shit outta shit at my level?

It seems like: sic pet, darkness, fear, shock shock, call back pet kills things faster and for less mana than stacking dots. Resists to shock are the only real negative I've seen.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Since level 24, though, I've felt like an OP wizard. Shock of Poison has, at the low end, a 1.4 DPM ratio. Basically, only Heat Blood and Darkness beat it at my level (disease dot too, nominally, but that takes forever). BUT, using Shock means I need fewer fears.

I know this will change when I hit 29 and start getting truly efficient DoTs, but am I missing something? Is there any reason not to just nuke the shit outta shit at my level?

It seems like: sic pet, darkness, fear, shock shock, call back pet kills things faster and for less mana than stacking dots. Resists to shock are the only real negative I've seen.
I haven't even bothered with buying the spell

Dots/Snare/Fear/Pet is fine

Your pet is essentially another dot

I just don't send in pet until after second fear and I get full XP every time
Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by G13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't even bothered with buying the spell

Dots/Snare/Fear/Pet is fine

I just don't send in pet until after second fear and I get full XP every time
Sure, but why bother with the second fear? Less feared time = fewer chances for an add to aggro, too. It's not totally clear to me that the more DoTs & longer kite is more mana efficient than the Darkness + Heat Blood + 1 fear + 2 nukes approach. At least before level 29.
Last edited by jadier; 01-29-2021 at 10:29 PM..
Old 01-29-2021, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, but why bother with the second fear? Less feared time = fewer chances for an add to aggro, too. It's not totally clear to me that the more DoTs & longer kite is more mana efficient than the Darkness + Heat Blood + 1 fear + 2 nukes approach. At least before level 29.
Just don't fear in high traffic areas

Pick your spots

It honestly doesn't really matter at the lower levels. I did Barbarian Fishing Village and then the Millers at Surefall entrance. There is so much real estate to kite at those spots you'll literally never get an add unless you're absolutely careless.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by G13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just don't fear in high traffic areas

Pick your spots

It honestly doesn't really matter at the lower levels. I did Barbarian Fishing Village and then the Millers at Surefall entrance. There is so much real estate to kite at those spots you'll literally never get an add unless you're absolutely careless.
Even in those spots, is it really more mana efficient? Does the added med time from the faster kills not compensate for the trivial mana difference between casting five spells versus many DoTs and refears not even out?
Old 01-30-2021, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

You're not imagining things. It's your best damage spell from 24-28.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

I don't think you are missing much. You are in one of those "dead" level ranges for necros and haven't got a decent DoT upgrade in 12+ levels.

If you are an Iksar it can be especially odd, since you probably aren't being bothered too much by allure.

if you weren't iksar you'd prolly be better off using taps instead of the blast. The taps are unresistible hence more mana efficient than they look. Then on top of that you will be able to convert about 80% of life you drain back into mana... assuming you need the health this functionally means your life tap spells only cost 20% of the mana listed.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:48 PM
Sarnak

dont dot, dont snare, dont fear. DS yourself, pull into a corner and nuke away until ure 29
Old 01-31-2021, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

My first character was a necro back in 99, I loved him, until 24, then I was like WHOA MOMMA THIS IS WHAT I LOVE so then I rerolled a wizard.

SoP was so fun, but so unificent, my friend that I played with cried and cried about me using it too much until I said well I'm just gonna reroll.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

I'm dicking around with a 27 necro as type this. Per your question, I switched to using SoP and I think you're right. The spell is efficient enough, and the time saved by tossing out 2-4 nukes, reduces the fear and darkness lines that I drop. I'm not even root/rotting undead at this point. I definitely have down time after three pulls, but I that's not any different if not better than what I was doing before. Not to mention, I'm doing this between meetings and tasks for work, so a quick couple of kills followed by a med break is ideal.

I think your point is that SoP is at least as efficient as the typical fear-rotting and I think you're right. It also has the benefit of being much quicker on kills.