Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalasHermit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So everyone that's ever lev hopped up to level 2 CoM or to get in to PoM castle should be banned too?
If they were directly racing someone else for the best loot available on the server, of course.

You see.. There is so many guilds on this server who haven't spent months to years on the forums demanding the world recognizes that bat phones and mobilizations and racing and grabbing FTEs is the only way to play on the server, and the part you enjoy the most.

So we get to giggle when the same voices gets banned a few times for taking any shortcut necessary. The same people who claim the only reason they log in and race is for the thrill of competition.

So either they love unfair competition.. Or they don't love competition at all. And they desperately want us to agree to the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So either they love unfair competition.. Or they don't love competition at all. And they desperately want us to agree to the former.
Consider both A's were doing it, I'd say the ones doing it on both sides considered it "fair". That said, if a server rule exists then make it public and it can be followed, don't use back channel screen shots to try and spin things in favor of your party getting more pixels.

As I believe Nemce said, he or anyone else can't be the mouth piece for server rules just because Sirken told him a ruling on skype or whatever chat program is used until the same information is posted on the forums.

Then again could just have Sirken say what he says on those is to be taken as official server rules and then no need with official posting.

Honestly, it just makes sense to have all agreed rules posted publicly.

Anyway, the meeting at work I'm sitting in that's in a language I don't speak is over so this concludes my first and probably only foray into RNF.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowmercy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think its realistic or appropriate to expect players to not manipulate frame rate, or to deem it as an exploitation or unfair advantage with all things above considered. ,
Sounds to me like the punishment for getting caught is not hard enough then.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

youre the nerd who memblurs others dragons. Your rant means nada and I'm under the impression there is more to come for all the shit you guys have pulled.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton05 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
youre the nerd who memblurs others dragons. Your rant means nada and I'm under the impression there is more to come for all the shit you guys have pulled.
Are you calling Europa out for underhanded tactics? Is there a youtube link?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you calling Europa out for underhanded tactics? Is there a youtube link?
Lol nooooooooo the op.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't read.
ITT: awakened warm bodies bellyaching about their precious pixels
Old 01-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Sarnak

TL;DR Awakened are cheating cunts
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is why Awakened is suspended and why we do not need more rules. When you start to codify things, people stop thinking about whether a thing is right or wrong and only consider whether it is premissable. Gray areas force people to use common sense. More grey = more common sense ^^
Except the grey areas aren't uniformly enforced as evidenced by both guilds using this tactic and one being suspended. Firm codified rules prevent bias from infecting things.
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan
The first thing you gotta' realize, brother, is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Orc

"Awakened is under Raid Suspension for the next 10 days for breaking the posted rules that are in place for ToV when on 12/19 an Awakened member (Hjial) was manipulating his game to increase his running speed to levels faster than SoW during an FTE race in Temple of Veeshan to secure an FTE on Vulak."

I assume the rule being broken is:

"Spirit of Wolf is the only movement speed buff that is allowed during the FTE race."

Of course, alt tabbing isn't a buff, but we'll go ahead and lump it under this category since clearly, that's what was done to warrant the raid suspension (judging by the words used in the ruling and what is posted for ToV FTE racing). Of course, the problem with this is, doesn't strafing buffed with SoW move you faster than just SoW? Yes, yes it does. So do we now suspend everyone who has ever strafed during a FTE run?

Moving forward, let's talk about why alt-tabbing during jumping is advantageous. This will be redundant, but will expand a bit on what is actually happening and why the actual outcome of it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to reasonably enforce.

When you are in the jumping forward state, you move slightly faster than simply running. When your frame rate is lower, you stay in the jumping state longer than you do at higher frame rates. When the game client is not focused, resources normally allocated to the client are significantly reduced, thus lowering the frame rate of the game to single and teen digits.

So what kind of ruling and enforcement can you put into place to prevent this advantage? I suppose you could force FTE runners to Fraps their runs to prove they are not alt tabbing or unfocusing their client. However, that only proves that they are not using either of those methods to achieve low FPS during jumps. What about those who simply FTE at lower FPS using the built in max FPS settings for example? You could force FTE runners to Fraps their runs with their "Max FPS client settings" shown. That of course would not only be silly, but would only prove that they are not using the built in client settings to manipulate their FPS. One can simply underclock their GPU/CPU or have multiple processes running in the background to get the desired lowered FPS. This also means that disabling Windowed Mode is not a solution.

Now you can argue that having significantly lowered FPS only during the jump is much more advantageous than permanently running at low FPS. In fact, I'd reckon it is nearly impossible to competitively run a FTE race at single to teen digits FPS. However, I can see running a race at 20-30FPS being much more manageable while still providing nearly the same benefit as jumping in the alt tab state.

I suppose you could try enforcing some sort of FPS minimum requirement, but now you are dipping into hardware requirements to compete (otherwise, runners can state they're utilizing less than desirable hardware). You then have to come up with a system to enforce this rule - such as again, runners recording their runs with FPS being displayed or having other runners submit recordings of the accused. I don't see the volunteer staff wanting to allocate - or hell, even having the resources to reviewing a multitude FTE videos every time there's a ToV race. Not to mention dealing with the excuses (desyncing, low FPS spike due to x, etc).

You could ban jumping on these FTE runs, but then you put small races at a significant disadvantage when it comes to many of the routes in ToV with uneven terrain. I suppose a smarter solution if you were to go this route is to only allow jumping when there is an obstacle. However, that just pushes the door back open to low FPS jumping not to mention the amount of lawyering on what is considered an obstacle.

In the end, I really don't see a reasonable solution to this. Without a way to reasonably enforce a rule to prevent low fps jumping, there will most likely be racers continuing to utilize this method to gain an edge.
Closed Thread