Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-18-2020, 08:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Blue Screen of Death/Direct X

Hello,

I previously posted about this but didn't get a response. In this post I'll include more detailed information. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting twice about the same problem, I'm just hoping someone knows more about computers than I do (if I'm being obnoxious here I apologize).

I've been consistently getting the dreaded Blue Screen of Death while playing, and I'm starting to worry that this might relate to the P99 program itself. I've reformatted my hard drive, and purchased new memory which is specific to my laptop, and moved my hard drive into a different computer, just to rule out possible causes. Now I'm getting the Blue Screen less often, about once a day, but it still sucks.

It seems the Blue Screen references the following file nowadays:

dxgkrnl.sys

Which I suspect is related to Direct X. I've run dxdiag and it found no problems with Direct X.

I'm running Project 1999 on an HP Elitebook 2540p laptop, with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, my ISP is Cox Communications.

Does everyone get the Blue Screen of Death from time to time while playing? A friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do suggests this may be related to the P99 program itself, though I hasten to note I don't believe that and I certainly wouldn't point fingers at the people who make P99 possible in the first place -- I'm enjoying it tremendously :-)

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

Without details on the 2nd system it's harder to narrow down, but BSOD's can also be caused by overheating, and the HP laptop you mentioned only has integrated graphics, so it's possible you could get a graphics-related blue screen due to excessive temps. Cleaned out the heatsinks recently?

-Mcoy
Old 07-19-2020, 05:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Well, I moved the hard drive from one HP Elitebook 2540p into a different HP Elitebook 2540p, so it's the same computer, this was to rule out hardware failure as a cause.

Yeah, the fan is clean, no dust, and I've recently added a cooling pad under the laptop.

If you don't mind my asking, do you get the BSOD while playing? I first want to rule out this being a problem with the Project 1999 software itself and how it utilizes Direct X...since the BSOD I've been getting references a Direct X-related .sys file.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Kobold

blue screen view

A nice little utility that will give you more information on the cause.

Keeping Ice of Velious off the streets of Norrath
Old 07-19-2020, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

No - the only time my client crashes is if my bluetooth headphones run out of power and turns off. I guess the client doesn't like my audio device suddenly changing; makes sense given its age.

Are you running HP's chipset drivers, or have you tried using upgraded ones from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ ?

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 07-19-2020 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-20-2020, 12:01 AM
Kobold

I've never had a blue screen of death on any of my current p1999 pc's.
I agree about trying to update drivers, especially video/chipset.
Intel is/has phased out a lot of windows 7 stuff, can't find my board drivers on an actual intel board anymore on one of mine, so good luck!
i suppose an upgrade to windows 10 would be out of the question? might help...
Old 07-20-2020, 02:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the help. So I'm pleased to hear it's on my end and not the program's end. I haven't gotten a blue screen in a few days but if it happens again I'll look into using Intel's Chipset Drivers (right now I'm using HP's, though I'd think that would be the correct driver for this computer...).
Old 07-20-2020, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

It was, but OEMs are notorious for not offering newer versions of drivers. In fact, the latest version I see available on the HP site for an Elitebook 2540p is from 2012.

-Mcoy