Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

If you found the ranger exp penalty offputting and unnecessary, you're not going to find much respite as a paladin or SK. You've got none of the dps of a monk and roughly similar sturdiness, though you do have snap agro and some minor utility. You can solo but the experience will be absolutely terrible after 45ish, depending on your gear.

Not many paladins and shadow knights make it past 45.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like Monk is your class... least negative of the bunch. Pulling isn't that big of a deal, you might end up liking it.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

bill murray comes outta the sand
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Aviak

Very well, then.

I shall try monk. It sounds like fun, minus the pulling....maybe pulling will grow on me.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By your reactions to each class sounds like you need to play another game.
+1 Reading through his post I want to suggest the thane or skald on DAOC
Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

If pulling doesn't turn out to be your thing with the monk. I suggest paladin, they do have the terrible xp penalty but they're really cool with ghoulbane and some decent armor which is all pretty easy to get. I'm unsure about shadowknights, but id probably take a look at them too. I do know at about 30-35+ or so, they can start looking pretty cool.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By your reactions to each class sounds like you need to play another game.
Everything about your post is negative. You don't want to do any real work like pulling or casting bard songs. You don't want to play a large race. You don't want to play a popular class. You don't want to play classes that can't solo well. You don't want to play support classes.

Quite a bit of your post is wrong: enchanters are fantastic solo and much more than a support class. Shadowknights can solo just fine. Warriors can solo adequately. Rangers aren't great, but they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. Necros are about much more than fearkiting.

Most of the EQ classes are flawed in some way by design. That's what makes it cool; you make friends who can cover your weaknesses.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everything about your post is negative. You don't want to do any real work like pulling or casting bard songs. You don't want to play a large race. You don't want to play a popular class. You don't want to play classes that can't solo well. You don't want to play support classes.

Quite a bit of your post is wrong: enchanters are fantastic solo and much more than a support class. Shadowknights can solo just fine. Warriors can solo adequately. Rangers aren't great, but they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. Necros are about much more than fearkiting.

Most of the EQ classes are flawed in some way by design. That's what makes it cool; you make friends who can cover your weaknesses.
Thank you.

I understand my post is negative, it's because it's coming from a point where I'm feeling disenfranchised. I'm more hoping for more people like you to come along and encourage me by telling me that I'm wrong and why, I guess...
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Sarnak

I made the mistake of playing toons guilds said they needed instead of what I really wanted to play...then main switched a ton of times over time as guild needs changed...

Now I'm playing what I want and am in a guild that appreciates the player behind the screen.

I wasted 2 years of altwhoring to figure this out.

Tl:dr; play what u like the most regardless of opinions. If u dont like any classes then find another game?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Moonglow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you.

I understand my post is negative, it's because it's coming from a point where I'm feeling disenfranchised. I'm more hoping for more people like you to come along and encourage me by telling me that I'm wrong and why, I guess...
Every class has its pros or cons... otherwise all the min-maxers here would be playing the class with the least cons and the most pros. The advantage we have here is knowing ahead of time what those pros/cons are, instead of finding out after you have an investment in your character that "Oh shit, I'm useless!" like we found out after Kunark release (keep in mind rangers were seen as fucking awesome pre-Kunark because we could actually tank and no one knew about the hybrid xp penalty.) and had to wait until Luclin to feel useful again.

If the timeline is followed correctly and Velious is the last era, we all know that monks were OP in Velious to the point where they had to have their damage mitigation/avoidance nerfed... but if I recall correctly that didn't happen until after Velious. That was their ranger version of Luclin. But yeah, you need to learn pulling/splitting because that's part of the usefulness of monks.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Closed Thread