Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 AM
Sarnak

Don’t listen to the naysayers go Mage!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is that none of their abilities really work in groups.
This is a bit of an overstatement. Sure, most of their abilities aren't designed for groups but that doesn't make them not work, just less efficient.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Snare, mez, heals, burst and sustained dps don't work in groups?

Necro dots suck in groups. Long ones rarely last a quarter of their duration, and fast ones draw too much aggro. Everything else they can do owns. Necros are incredible group members but most players never play them well enough to utilize all their abilities.

That said, in boring, stable exp grinds where you've got everything under control and it's routine pull kill pull kill, there's much less to do as a necro. Necros particularly excel when things start going sideways.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoink1986 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t listen to the naysayers go Mage!
I really really like the mage class. It reminds me of my sorcerer builds in d&d and baldur's gate. I feel like this thread has convinced me to roll necro, tho.

Honestly what can necros solo that a mage cannot at the same level? Serious but probably foolish question.

I realize the way they are played you couldn't take a mage to somewhere like kaesora like you could a necro.

Even with focus items the mage is still gimped in comparison?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

U can definitely take Mage to kaesora but necro can solo in HS easier than mage but lot Mage can do with chain casting/ root nets/ worth pots/ reaper/ etc.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoink1986 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
U can definitely take Mage to kaesora but necro can solo in HS easier than mage but lot Mage can do with chain casting/ root nets/ worth pots/ reaper/ etc.

So I take it you have a mage? How do they stack up compared to a necro of the same level? I will mostly be solo. I want to farm nameds and get all the milestone gear and quests
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I take it you have a mage? How do they stack up compared to a necro of the same level? I will mostly be solo. I want to farm nameds and get all the milestone gear and quests
Sounds like you really just want to play mage. We can tell you necro is better for this stuff all day but if you aren't going to be happy with a necro you will not have fun. Just play what you want man.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Not a very good defense of mages solo capabilities imo. Any class can solo with enough clickies, especially instant CC and instant heals.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycon43 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you really just want to play mage. We can tell you necro is better for this stuff all day but if you aren't going to be happy with a necro you will not have fun. Just play what you want man.
I've been in denial so I rolled both lol. I like necro a lot but I'm very much partial to fire per and nuking. I'm sure I'll ultimately end up with necro just having a hard time shelving my mage. Yesterday I logged into my level 4 mage and said out loud "I never gave up on you kid". Clearly I'm not taking the communities verdict well
Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Aviak

Just find some undead and your necro turns into a mage.
Closed Thread