Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every time point within the window is equally probable.

When possible spawn times within the window have passed, the remaining times are still all equally probable, just with the time that has passed excluded (you could say their probability is redistributed among all remaining times).

1.0 / (TotalTimePointsInWindow - TimePointsThatHavePassed) = ProbabilityPerRemainingTimePoint

No real advantage to looking at it this way.

I follow you, but it depends on which perspective you look at it from. If "Every time point within the window is equally probable.", then you are looking at the probability when the window is not open.

but this does not logically add up to me:

"When possible spawn times within the window have passed, the remaining times are still all equally probable,".

The chance to reach 100% does not disappear if the time has passed, so either way each event seen as pop=yes // pop=no continuously changes the distribution until the last event.

And of course there is no way to beat the RNG, but statistically I heard from a friend that if you wanted to camp something, it would benefit you to sock the mob when the window is around 25% chance in the last few hours if it has not popped because the chance becomes greater as the window closes, versus camping the entire 16 hour. Sure you could get lucky and get a pop on the first TICK...but statistics aside and probability of that event occurring is a huge outlier and a very unusual occurrence, even in RNG world.

If you wanted to take this further, maybe someone could do a series of /random 100 and see if there is a correlation between the quartile ranges 1-24,25-49,50-74, and 75-100. If its a true RNG, there should be no correlation and no bell-curve distribution but who knows, this is a old game.
Last edited by kgallowaypa; 05-25-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Old 05-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So in this example, on the 3rd hour of the window, the next hour becomes 7.69% , 8.33% on the 4th hour, etc.
Yes. It's called conditional probability.

Personally I think we should have exponential windows, where the probability of a spawn on every tick is the same.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The chance to reach 100% does not disappear if the time has passed, so either way each event seen as pop=yes // pop=no continuously changes the distribution until the last event.
I don't follow you. If I understand what you said here, I don't see how it disagrees with anything I said (or the ultra-simple equation there).

I'm not a math person and might just be embarrassing myself, but...

The probabilities of each as-yet-possible time always add up to 100%. That's pretty clear in the equation you quoted there -- we divide 1.0 (100%) by the remaining possible times. If you agree that every time point is equally probable at all, then the way I see it, you should agree that they are equally probable from every reference point before the actual event.

When 3 out of 16 possible hours have passed, each of the remaining 13 hours has a ~7.69% chance. When 4 out of 16 have passed, each of the remaining 12 hours has a ~8.33% chance. All of the remaining hours are equally probable at each point you stop to look at it, whenever that may be. They aren't literally becoming more likely over time -- we're just narrowing the window by excluding times where it could have happened, but didn't. It's true that after the 3rd hour passes, the 4th hour has an 8.33% chance... but so does the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th... We can't pick out one specific hour and say 'aha, this is the most likely one now', so the information is no advantage. The "failed" probabilities of past times are distributed among all remaining times equally.

As someone said, there is almost certainly only one dice roll. The first 25% is as likely as the last 25%, going into it. And it may be an old game, but that's no reason for the server not to use a quality PRNG (they aren't hard to find code for these days).

And I may not be able to back it up, but personally I'm sceptical of the "wait til near the end" comments. I would look at it the other way around. It's a zero-sum game. The first 50% and the last 50% are equally likely... but if it does happen during the first 50%, then, from that vantage point, there's 0 remaining chance that it will happen during the last 50%. The likelihood that you'll get screwed by an early spawn increases the longer you wait to camp. Of course, if it does spawn before you even bother to show up, then you're not likely to wait around for the remains of the now-irrelevant window... but you won't get the loot either. If you only show up during the last 25%, then you won't have to wait long at worst... but there will also be a 75% chance that there will be nothing to wait for by that point, assuming you have competition.
Last edited by Zaela; 05-25-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 05-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't follow you. If I understand what you said here, I don't see how it disagrees with anything I said (or the ultra-simple equation there).

I'm not a math person and might just be embarrassing myself, but...

The probabilities of each as-yet-possible time always add up to 100%. That's pretty clear in the equation you quoted there -- we divide 1.0 (100%) by the remaining possible times. If you agree that every time point is equally probable at all, then the way I see it, you should agree that they are equally probable from every reference point before the actual event.

When 3 out of 16 possible hours have passed, each of the remaining 13 hours has a ~7.69% chance. When 4 out of 16 have passed, each of the remaining 12 hours has a ~8.33% chance. All of the remaining hours are equally probable at each point you stop to look at it, whenever that may be. They aren't literally becoming more likely over time -- we're just narrowing the window by excluding times where it could have happened, but didn't. It's true that after the 3rd hour passes, the 4th hour has an 8.33% chance... but so does the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th... We can't pick out one specific hour and say 'aha, this is the most likely one now', so the information is no advantage. The "failed" probabilities of past times are distributed among all remaining times equally.

As someone said, there is almost certainly only one dice roll. The first 25% is as likely as the last 25%, going into it. And it may be an old game, but that's no reason for the server not to use a quality PRNG (they aren't hard to find code for these days).

And I may not be able to back it up, but personally I'm sceptical of the "wait til near the end" comments. I would look at it the other way around. It's a zero-sum game. The first 50% and the last 50% are equally likely... but if it does happen during the first 50%, then, from that vantage point, there's 0 remaining chance that it will happen during the last 50%. The likelihood that you'll get screwed by an early spawn increases the longer you wait to camp. Of course, if it does spawn before you even bother to show up, then you're not likely to wait around for the remains of the now-irrelevant window... but you won't get the loot either. If you only show up during the last 25%, then you won't have to wait long at worst... but there will also be a 75% chance that there will be nothing to wait for by that point, assuming you have competition.
Now I understand, excellent post [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] was a fun thought experiment, so at the end of the day, praise the RNG gods and sock the window to its fullest and grow a neckbeard.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Orc

I did not read the thread, because I am lazy. My apologies if this was addressed earlier.

I think you might be interested in a random process called the Poisson Process. It can be used to model random events such as time between radioactive emissions, customer arrivals at stores, or monster spawns in MMORPGs.

Here's a link to some math: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/poisson/index.html