Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the lighting is TERRIBLE, Infravision was better in classic
Infravision made mobs look bright red in classic, it was really annoying. Pray they never fix it.

-------------------------------------------

All I can say is P1999 is a whole lot more classic than it was when I started here. I don't begrudge the admins a few non-classic things. I'd be far less stringently classic than they are, were I making the calls.

Danth
Old 11-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These complaints don't actually matter, and most of these things were brought up during green's launch or before release... but I feel like they keep trying to change stuff to make it more "classic", but then add in some sort of robotic arbitrary system or substitution that feels nothing like the original.

/List doesn't feel like everquest. Same with this janky ui(which was never used before), having to click meditate, or the random forced dynamic lighting. I actually have felt dynamic lighting made p99 green more choppy for me ever since it was introduced and just overall makes everything look nothing like I remember it.

For me, I just want to play classic with eq with as close to the original settings and difficulties as possible. I don't really like all this other crap thrown in that destroys all my nostalgia or immersion.
So you want it to be as close to classic as possible but you have an issue with the classic darkness/lighting they implemented? Makes sense
Old 11-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Aviak

I've responded to something similar in the past.

There can never be a real classic experience for a number of reasons I will both list and explain below:

In classic, people did not know what would happen in the future. We know so, so much about what is going to happen with future releases to the point where we know what items are going to be in the game onyl for a limited time, what items are going to be needed for each encounter; and we can act accordingly.

Due to that knowledge, that experience can never happen again - it would be impossible. Accordingly when we try to "relive the 'classic experience'" we are going to act in a way that no one acted in back in true classic. The GMs/admins need to react accordingly.

Further, we all have different experiences as to how servers were "ruled". My server, Saryrn, was a pretty chill server compared to what I have heard about many others. It was not ruled very firmly, and the community sorted out the undesirables moreso than the GMs. No guild, at the time, was so insulated that it did not have to worry about its reputation. So what server rules do we use? Our own is the only option - we have to use a modified rule set which takes into consideration things like whats best for both the community as a whole as well as for the GMs. I think the GMs have concluded that, as far as how the community relives the experience, the ends justify the means. Meaning, there were not multiple people lvl 60 on day 2 in real classic. There were no lvl 50 iksars day 1 of kunark. In order to ensure that doesn't happen again, the downside of removing quest xp temporarily is outweighed by the potential end result.

Finally, as to the reason why guilds can essentially isolate now adays and succeed despite a bad reputation - the ability to communicate is leaps and bounds better than it was 20 years ago. Now, you can stream your screen while fd in view of a mob popping. Any number of people can viewthat screen with the intention of reacting immediately to the pop. They then batphone their entire guild within 5 seconds. None of that was possible back then. So you need only 40-60 very active and committed people to ensure you are the top guild, and the community no longer matters all that much.

What people are looking for is impossible. What has been created is a museum. You may go into a museum and lament the fact that that stuff is in the past while you reminisce, but that's about all you can do to "relive" it.
Last edited by auura; 11-12-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Old 11-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by auura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've responded to something similar in the past.

There can never be a real classic experience for a number of reasons I will both list and explain below:

In classic, people did not know what would happen in the future. We know so, so much about what is going to happen with future releases to the point where we know what items are going to be in the game onyl for a limited time, what items are going to be needed for each encounter; and we can act accordingly.

Due to that knowledge, that experience can never happen again - it would be impossible. Accordingly when we try to "relive the 'classic experience'" we are going to act in a way that no one acted in back in true classic. The GMs/admins need to react accordingly.

Further, we all have different experiences as to how servers were "ruled". My server, Saryrn, was a pretty chill server compared to what I have heard about many others. It was not ruled very firmly, and the community sorted out the undesirables moreso than the GMs. No guild, at the time, was so insulated that it did not have to worry about its reputation. So what server rules do we use? Our own is the only option - we have to use a modified rule set which takes into consideration things like whats best for both the community as a whole as well as for the GMs.

Finally, as to the reason why guilds can essentially isolate now adays and succeed despite a bad reputation - the ability to communicate is leaps and bounds better than it was 20 years ago. Now, you can stream your screen while fd in view of a mob popping. Any number of people can viewthat screen with the intention of reacting immediately to the pop. They then batphone their entire guild within 5 seconds. None of that was possible back then. So you need only 40-60 very active and committed people to ensure you are the top guild, and the community no longer matters all that much.

What people are looking for is impossible. What has been created is a museum. You may go into a museum and lament the fact that that stuff is in the past while you reminisce, but that's about all you can do.
This position is so wrong and repeated so often that it's unbelievable and also exhausting to read over and over. It's either people are convinced that everyone has to be miserable or it's people who already hate the classic versions of the games to begin with.

I'm NOT asking for a return to 1999. I'm stating that the 2015 version of p99 was better than what we have now. Stop trying to convince other people how they should feel or gaslight them into doubting their own memories.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This position is so wrong and repeated so often that it's unbelievable and also exhausting to read over and over. It's either people are convinced that everyone has to be miserable or it's people who already hate the classic versions of the games to begin with.

I'm NOT asking for a return to 1999. I'm stating that the 2015 version of p99 was better than what we have now. Stop trying to convince other people how they should feel or gaslight them into doubting their own memories.
Evidence that my position is wrong? What kind of argument do you have, sir? I think your position is wrong and addressed the reasons why its wrong in a logical manner. I understand this may be difficult for you as your logic is such that you expect a museum experience to be the equivalent of the ability to relive the past.
Last edited by auura; 11-12-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Old 11-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by auura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Evidence that my position is wrong? What kind of argument do you have, sir? I think your position is wrong and addressed the reasons why its wrong in a logical manner. I understand this may be difficult for you as your logic is such that you expect a museum experience to be the equivalent of the ability to relive the past.
It's simple, I listed non classic changes in my post that happened since last year with the launch of green. On the forums and in game you will see people complaining about quest exp being removed, which is NOT CLASSIC.

People are literally complaining about NON classic changes, and then you go on a rant about how "we can never have classic".
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Aviak

Quote:
It's simple, I listed non classic changes in my post that happened since last year with the launch of green. On the forums and in game you will see people complaining about quest exp being removed, which is NOT CLASSIC.

People are literally complaining about NON classic changes, and then you go on a rant about how "we can never have classic".
You ignored (or, let's be real, it went over your head) the analysis part of my post: BECAUSE we can never have a real classic experience, IT MUST FOLLOW that changes are necessary to preserve the integrity of the server and the ability to relive the experience in the way best for the community as a whole. The ends justify the means to that. They determined that not having lvl 60 players day 2 is more important than having quest experience for the general community. I agree.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
You ignored (or, let's be real, it went over your head) the analysis part of my post: BECAUSE we can never have a real classic experience, IT MUST FOLLOW that changes are necessary to preserve the integrity of the server and the ability to relive the experience in the way best for the community as a whole. The ends justify the means to that. They determined that not having lvl 60 players day 2 is more important than having quest experience for the general community. I agree.
No one wanted or asked for these changes. They don't make the game better for me. Maybe they made the game better for you, but overall it's lessend my experience and the enjoyment I get out of the game.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

I thought that we had level 60's on day 2 anyways?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought that we had level 60's on day 2 anyways?
He doesn't even know why he's defending the changes. There are just certain types of people who default to authority and like to repeat talking points that other people have said before. Since classic wow, there are tons of people who see someone else say "you can't have vanilla wow" and take that response and copy paste it into eq because they like having mental shortcuts and can't think for themselves.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Closed Thread