Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 04-15-2022, 05:16 PM
Sarnak

Default The forced ui/dynamic lighting change at green launch killed p99 for me

No one really cares I'm sure, but I'm frustrated because I absolutely loved project 1999 around 2015. I loved just having a somewhat modern ui/sky etc with the old school mechanics. That was ALL I needed... I don't know why they wanted to progressively make the experience worse over time but I absolutely can't even find enjoyment in this project anymore.

I hate these clear blocks all over my screen. This isn't even remotely a classic ui so I don't get why I have to play with this. Also, my game lags a ton due to the dynamic lighting change even though I have a good pc. They could have just left a good thing as it was but they had to mess it up. I also kind of hate a bunch of stuff they did with buffs timers/dots/colors around mob target boxes but I could have let those things go... the game just sucks in its current state. No way in hell I would ever introduce someone to p99 n 2022 even though back in 2015 I got people to play with me all the time.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

I think if you play red or blue server you can use it without dynamic lighting.

I also did not play green partly because it ran so fucked up with forced dynamic lighting, and the non classic forced UI also sucked, as I never used that junky velious style UI ever in my everquest history and wasn't going to force learn it for some version of classic.

I think you can just play non green.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think if you play red or blue server you can use it without dynamic lighting.

I also did not play green partly because it ran so fucked up with forced dynamic lighting, and the non classic forced UI also sucked, as I never used that junky velious style UI ever in my everquest history and wasn't going to force learn it for some version of classic.

I think you can just play non green.
I tried to just do a fresh install and only transfer over the files I needed but I still have the blocks... maybe I need to try deleting the folder and redoing it.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 04-18-2022, 11:14 AM
Kobold

I just returned also over the weekend and it’s fucking terrible lol. The rest of the game makes it worth fighting through and I’m sure I’ll get used to it but it’s pretty bad.

If I had one wish though we could keep this janky shit and get pet window back ����

Byel- 60th level Magician of <Asgard>
Kimboh- 46th level Monk of <Asgard>
Old 04-18-2022, 11:53 AM
Banned

The UI actually is fairly classic in appearance, it closely resembles the view you'd get when you hit F10 to get out of the letterbox locked-in UI view.

I also didn't like the lighting at first, but I got used to it and now I actually really like it. Lots of lightsources in one spot is still a bit harsh, but other than that I LOVE the added immersion of actually needing vision spells if you're a blind race at night, and seeing little orange glows in the distance of newbs running around with candles in everfrost is SUPER classic.

I'd just stick with it, you won't even care about it anymore once you get invested in your character.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one really cares I'm sure
Oh, I care.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2022, 03:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one really cares I'm sure, but I'm frustrated because I absolutely loved project 1999 around 2015. I loved just having a somewhat modern ui/sky etc with the old school mechanics. That was ALL I needed... I don't know why they wanted to progressively make the experience worse over time but I absolutely can't even find enjoyment in this project anymore.

I hate these clear blocks all over my screen. This isn't even remotely a classic ui so I don't get why I have to play with this. Also, my game lags a ton due to the dynamic lighting change even though I have a good pc. They could have just left a good thing as it was but they had to mess it up. I also kind of hate a bunch of stuff they did with buffs timers/dots/colors around mob target boxes but I could have let those things go... the game just sucks in its current state. No way in hell I would ever introduce someone to p99 n 2022 even though back in 2015 I got people to play with me all the time.
What's disturbing about this is, these changes (or some of the significant graphics, UI and etc.) happened extremely late in the life span of Blue.

Even though Blue was a lost cause as far as matching the timeline was concerned
Then they almost put salt in the wound by forcing these mechanics on us in Green
I get that they can stand behind the 'It's classic' however the amount of non classic things they pushed (and some that no one wanted or were necessary) makes it all very hypocritical. On balance one might have thought that since we've had nearly ten years of it being one way, launching another server only to subject us to uncomfortable things is not a way to interest players.

People talk a large game though it's doubtful that not being able to tab target or see your pet's health/pet window, was some how a real selling point to them for green vs blue
In summary, green turned out to be blue, yet worse
Old 04-22-2022, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

P99 was waaaaaaaay more fun the first few years. Each individual thing isn't an enormous deal by itself. But over the years the cumulative effect of all these (imo) bad changes in the name of "classic" have been a pretty big downer for sure. Buff timers/con color on target/dot dmg are some of my bigger pet peeve changes too. Early P99 was really somethin special that unfortunately we'll probably never get back.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:12 PM
Fire Giant

It all went downhill after they took the compass away /nod
Old 04-22-2022, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

The forced UI sucks because it isn't actually classic, and I never used Velious UI once in everquest live, not a single time.

The forced dynamic lighting sucks because it is a complex workaround for the almost unfixable night blindness of humans and barbarians and erudites. I appreciate the effort, but the solution means the game runs horribly and the lighting is all fucked up. Its just a terrible solution.

I'm all for nerfing the blind races like they were supposed to be nerfed, but this stuff makes the game actually not work correctly. I'm dreading seeing what p99 team does for any future server launches. Maybe they can force a better UI like the classic esque one developed recently.
Lost but not forgotten.