Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Large Bat

Unhappy Memory Error while connecting to Server

When I try to connect to the server I get this:

The instruction at ___________ referenced memory at ____________. The memory could not be read.

Then it terminates the program.

I was just online about 15 minutes ago. Java updater popped up and I selected NO, since any administrative actions cause my client to freeze and I was at a fairly contested camp that I would rather not lose. My screen went black anyway, so I hit ALT+Enter to switch to Fullscreen. I switched to Fullscreen but it remained black. So I closed EQ, and when I attempted to log back in I got that error.

I went ahead and restarted my PC, then updated Java, and attempted to run EQ again. It seems to want to default to fullscreen now (it will go windowed if I hit ALT+Enter again) and it gives me that error every time I attempt to connect to the server.

Help? Suggestions?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Large Bat

The "______" stand for some random collection of numbers and letters that I couldn't memorize while the error message was up, by the way.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Orc

This may be related to the default screen size for EQ - if EQ's resolution is set higher than your desktop resolution, the game tries to create a display too large for your setup and has a memory reference error at some address (which is displayed in hexadecimal format).

Is there a way you can lower the resolution on the game from the options menu before you connect to the server, or possibly increase your desktop resolution to start the game? Failing that, I'm sure there's a way to change the resolution in some sort of .ini file or possibly by setting the resolution for the in the properties for the program from the right-click menu.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Large Bat

I just got to work, but I can try that when I get home. I do have access to the options, since I'm not getting kicked off until I attempt to connect to the server.

The thing about your theory is that I've been running the same resolution for a couple of weeks now without any issues... I will definitely try it ASAP, though. Thanks! ^.^
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Aviak

I was having this exact same problem yesterday. If you have duxa's all in one installer you can use it to set up windowed mode which worked for me. Whenever I tried to load the game fullscrean I got the exact same message. Though I believe that if you do this you will have to remake any shortcuts you have on your desktop for EQ.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Aviak

Actually, I have that same problem every other time I try to log on. And i have to waste a while figuring out how to get it working. But then the second I log off and try to log back on i have the same damned problem. Anyone know how to fix this for real?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Sarnak

I resolved this problem by right clicking on eqgame.exe and going to Compatibility tab. Then disable desktop composition.

I tried all of the resolution stuff, and nothing worked. Every now and then rebooting my PC would help. But doing the above fix was an instant solution.
Last edited by Albane; 02-18-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Aviak

thank you!