Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-26-2023, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

I’m confused. Did anyone read the last two words of the thread topic?

If you are looking or do old-world quests at 55 even an iksar can do some via Shroud or Undeath. It lets you vendor in Oggok and Grobb too. You have the entire quest line from Cabalis including the very cool Greenmist and all the armor that are mid-level good.

Probably a human or erudite would let you do the widest variety though. They can faction up with almost anything. They are KoS in Oggok and Grobb but not with the sk GM’s. Again skeleton (shroud of undeath) or wolf form is a slight faction boost to start off quests with there. They don’t have issues in Neriak nor do trolls and ogres (iksars will without illusion or faction work).

All sk races except iksar can hang out in the Overthere outpost and grind the OT gate-mallet quest. Most Iksars will need to pay for a puppet strings charm click.

Good luck. Most faction is a temporary setback.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-26-2023 at 11:54 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Picking iksar specifcally for Greenmist would be silly, I agree. It's not the item's fault if a person makes a decision for the wrong reasons. If a player's going to pick iksar anyway because he likes iksars, then other click items are moot and Greenmist is a very good available option for him to eventually work towards.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarleon8503 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So about the questing, since that looks to be what this thread is about. I would say Iksar have the MOST race specific quests for Shadow Knights. However, a lot of random quests that don't look to be race specific. Hope this helps ya out.

Here are some quests that I can think of.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Ridossan%27s_Spirit
https://wiki.project1999.com/Darkforge_Armor_Quests

Erudite:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Experienced_Courier

Dark Elf:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Thex_Mallet_Quest

Iksar:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Dreadscale_Armor
https://wiki.project1999.com/Crusader%27s_Tests
Any race can do any quest. You just need to adjust your faction. Some quests like Greenmist and Dreadscale Armor are only wearable by Iksar, but you could still do the quest for fun. So it depends on how much OP wants to rely on the gear he gets from questing vs. just doing the quests for fun. Darkforge and Dreadscale are comparable armor sets, so you could roll a Troll, do Darkforge, and then do Dreadscale later.

Iksar is definately not a bad choice if your primary goal is doing quests and wearing the items obtained from said quests, but again they are generally speaking one of the worst Shadowknight races due to not being able to wear Blood Ember. Just making sure OP understands the tradeoff.

Plenty of people start a character with a goal in mind, but change over time due to Everquest being such a long game. The more info OP has, the better. Less chance of regret later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Picking iksar specifcally for Greenmist would be silly, I agree. It's not the item's fault if a person makes a decision for the wrong reasons. If a player's going to pick iksar anyway because he likes iksars, then other click items are moot and Greenmist is a very good available option for him to eventually work towards.
Agreed!
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2023 at 12:00 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

The Greenmist comment is odd.

It’s a self-healing (2x a fungi when rolling) DoT that does 5dps. The weapon is solid fashion and 1h ratio. It has 25 friggin MR on it. SK’s just got a huge aggro nerf and the proc is an aggro one. It’s prob the best 1h tanking weapon outside a Jeldorin that only paladins can use.

1h’s are low dps. I haven’t used my Frostwrath in months. In the world of EQ fantasy drafts if I could trade it for a Greenmist for my paladin I would in a heartbeat.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Greenmist comment is odd.

It’s a self-healing (2x a fungi when rolling) DoT that does 5dps. The weapon is solid fashion and 1h ratio. It has 25 friggin MR on it. SK’s just got a huge aggro nerf and the proc is an aggro one. It’s prob the best 1h tanking weapon outside a Jeldorin that only paladins can use.

1h’s are low dps. I haven’t used my Frostwrath in months. In the world of EQ fantasy drafts if I could trade it for a Greenmist for my paladin I would in a heartbeat.
Blood Ember Gloves are going to save you more time than the regeneration you get from Greenmist. Time is what you are aiming to save when discussing HP/Mana regeneration.

Ratio-wise it isn't better than the Shard of Night, Reaver, or Argent Protector, all of which are easily obtainable by a casual player.

If you are an Iksar, as Danth said, you might as well get it. But Arget Proector + Blood Ember clickes is better from a time saving perspective than Greenmist with it's proc.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

All those 1hs are going to be close on dps because 1h sucks for dps. Those are droppable the Greenmist isn’t so again bad comparison. The Argent Protector is garbage, it’s a slow weapon that isn’t even the ratio of an Exquisite 2h.

Blood ember gloves are handy but it’s a 4 sec cast. You likely won’t use for solo and in groups clinging works fine and is cheap and fast. With the aggro nerf it’s prob the go-to spell to replace DC anyways. In most groups with even slightly difficult content druids and rangers are snaring anyways.

The greenmist is objectively a good weapon for tanking and some solo work (if only for a proc on runners). You can figure this out with a calculator.

Again the OP is asking for quest info. The Greemist is an extensive and cool quest. Let’s not neckbeard this one into a race war.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-26-2023 at 12:13 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All those 1hs are going to be close on dps because 1h sucks for dps. Those are droppable the Greenmist isn’t so again bad comparison. The Argent Protector is garbage, it’s a slow weapon that isn’t even the ratio of an Exquisite 2h.

Blood ember gloves are handy but it’s a 4 sec cast. You likely won’t use for solo and in groups clinging works fine and is cheap and fast. With the aggro nerf it’s prob the go-to spell to replace DC anyways. In most groups with even slightly difficult content druids and rangers are snaring anyways.

The greenmist is objectively a good weapon for tanking and some some work (if only for a proc on runners). You can figure this out with a calculator.
Argent Protector is a 42/49 weapon. That is a 0.85 ratio, where Greenmist is only 0.82. I believe you thinking of Argent Defender.

I use Blood Ember gloves all the time solo. Their long cast time isn't an issue at all. Shadowknights are most constrained by mana, not by HP. Saving the mana on not having to cast a snare is better than the HP gained from the proc.

You can even pair the gloves and the boots for mana-free fear kiting. I did that quite a bit in open area like Dreadlands.

Every race has access to the SK epic, so just aim for that if you want a lifesteal proc. It is also a cool quest.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

For what it's worth there are things the wife and I could duo once my guy got his epic that we could not duo without, and a lot more things where the extra healing was a much larger help than extra damage would've been. Damage and mana saving is great for maximizing experience per hour, but not always best for raising the ceiling of what can be done once the exp bar is pegged. The epic took me over four years, realtime, to do and Greenmist offers similar healing for a much easier quest. It's a nice item for what it is.

Granted, I've come to accept that the above is probably as much or more of an exception than the high-end raiders are. Not very many lower or mid-range players push the limit very much, especially not if you aren't talking about charm classes. More usually at that level of player it's a case of level up then quit to some alt, for which ANY high-end weapons are superfluous.

I assume someone creating a character specifically for questing will quit by level forty if not sooner. Everquest, isn't, beyond the low levels. He might elect to use the character for other purposes later on, admittedly.

Danth
Old 01-26-2023, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

I know the difference between an AD and AP…

Sure, a turnkey Greenmist is like 15k. SK epic is like 180k or so if you aren’t in a raiding guild.

A lot of velious quests are fun and not racist against anyone. The gear is actually good. Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I know the difference between an AD and AP…

Sure, a turnkey Greenmist is like 15k. SK epic is like 180k or so if you aren’t in a raiding guild.
Argent Protector + Blood Ember Gloves is like 3K total on Blue if we are going off cost, and that combo will be better than Greenmist.