Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-28-2023, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteenmiles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thanks for all the recs. i guess i'll roll up a shaman or a mage... i just had an impression mages weren't very wanted in groups. but maybe it turns out that's wizards? who'd have known
Yeah wizards have a low DPS but they are artillery, they are better then people think but they aren't high in DPS.

Mages nuke slightly less but get the pet with great DPS and are popular in groups
Old 01-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteenmiles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thanks for all the recs. i guess i'll roll up a shaman or a mage... i just had an impression mages weren't very wanted in groups. but maybe it turns out that's wizards? who'd have known
People tend to like reliable and consistent damage in groups. Mages are that. Wizards are more bursty and can cause issues with aggro
Old 01-28-2023, 09:18 PM
Aviak

mage or cleric are least active overall but still wanted in grps imo. mages are very much wanted in grp, between ds and pets they can sustain decent dps, even before spells, just very limited beyond that...
Old 01-29-2023, 02:57 PM
Orc

i'm gonna try mage and shaman for a few levels each and see which one catches me. but when it comes to shaman, is getting faction for an iksar a real slog? i love iksar aesthetic but i'll bite the bullet and make a barbarian if it saves me 1000 hours of game time.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
i'm gonna try mage and shaman for a few levels each and see which one catches me. but when it comes to shaman, is getting faction for an iksar a real slog? i love iksar aesthetic but i'll bite the bullet and make a barbarian if it saves me 1000 hours of game time.
The thing about iksar shamans is...if you want to level up a lot in the old world, going back and forth to get your spells is going to be a pain in the ass.

That said, leveling up in HighPass from 19 to 22ish, collecting gnoll scalps might make you dubious or apprehensive.

I just did this with an SK and I want to say I started at Scowling and went to Apprehensive by handing in 100 scalps. Some factions are easier to level, like Dark Elves only require like 32p worth of Red Wine to go from scowling to dubious or whatever
Old 01-29-2023, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like pretty much any priest. Cleric and Shaman being the most wanted in groups. Cleric being the most relaxed playstyle.
I identify as a Cleric/Shaman main, but I recommend not maining a Cleric on P99 because you are at the mercy of others when it comes to actually being able to play your character.

I'll give an example. I'm playing my Shaman. I want to go to Splitpaw. Well getting there will be relatively easy because I have SoW/Invis/Levitate. My Cleric has none of that, but he can still get there slowly, and more at risk because he isn't invis'd and if something aggros him, he may not be able to kill it (where as a Shaman can just use SoW to run away or likely just kill the mob).

Okay so now my Shaman / Cleric get to Splitpaw. There's no one in the zone or no groups who want to invite me. For the Shaman this is no big deal. He slips outside to South Karana and starts solo'ing all the adjacent gnolls and other mobs that give experience. He may even head over to the Treants or Aviaks and camp them.

Cleric on the other hand can't do anything. He's just stuck in the middle of no where hoping that someone logs on and wants to group with him (I know some twinked Clerics will disagree with me, but this is an accurate experience for the ordinary Cleric player).

Clerics tend to become extremely disgruntled because of this too. It's like no one wants to group with you, but the same people will blow you up and expect you to stop doing whatever it is you're doing to make an epic journey just to resurrect them.

Shaman on the other hand can solo all the way to 60, almost as easy as a Necromancer (at least at 34+). If you want to group, almost any group will invite you. Even other Clerics love having a Shaman around because with their slow, Clerics job becomes super easy.

Cleric to me should always be your alt class. Like maybe have a Necromancer as your main, and Cleric as your alt. When you can't get groups on your Cleric, just go solo on your Necromancer. Trust me, you'll be a lot more successful at the game in terms of getting experience and plat, and you'll be a lot happier. I have a few Cleric main friends on Blue still who get super triggered because people always screw them over where they're the Clerics best friend when they need something and then they ditch them and leave them LFG for hours.

And before people tell me this isn't accurate, I literally solo'd my untwinked Cleric all the way to level 49 because I couldn't get groups. I eventually stopped playing him and made a Shaman and have been way more happy ever since. I don't regret having the Cleric either because it was a challenge and I can log on and resurrect my friends when they die, but the freedom of being able to solo or main heal a group is nice (I personally find it easier to main heal with a Shaman than as a Cleric, unless the Cleric has clarity. Shaman has like twice the mana to play with via cannibalize, and people don't require nearly as many heals when the mobs are slowed and the non-tanks get passively healed via regen line of spells).

Edit: Another reason it can be hard to get a group as a Clericl; almost no group wants two clerics. If a group already has a Cleric and a Cleric is LFG, they will likely not invite the second Cleric. If a group already has a Cleric and a Shaman or Druid is LFG, they will prob invite the Druid/Shaman. Most groups would rather have 3 Druids instead of 2 Clerics. It's just how it is.
Last edited by WokeCat; 01-29-2023 at 07:35 PM..
Old 01-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

cleric or mage
Old 02-01-2023, 08:11 AM
Fire Giant

If you want a chill, relaxed play style I don’t recommend a shaman at all. It’s one of the most active classes, but not in a fun way in my opinion. The constant canni dancing drives me nuts. Your best bet is Cleric if you wanna heal, Mage If you want to play a caster DPS, or Rogue if you want to be a melee DPS.

I personally love the rogue for this very reason. They aren’t expected to do anything but throw out great DPS. No pulling and no tanking (unless the group is desperate). You just stand there and chat, then basically auto attack and hit backstab on pulls. Extremely easy but fulfilling.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Large Bat

Your best options for a chill class, IMO, are wizard or necro. Both bring utility, while also providing you with the option of significant solo capabilities when groups aren't available, or your playtime that session doesn't allow for it.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:26 AM
Planar Protector

Necromancer, Iksar. Never leave Kunark. Thats my next play through. I've got a necromancer on blue waiting for me for the day I give up on red 2.0

I've also got a necromancer on red for the day I give up on red 2.0

Or either for the day I give up on real life. Tough call.

Leveling through kunark is cool enough that I'm about to install the game just clicking away about it.
Lost but not forgotten.