Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: First class on fresh green?
Bard 34 8.33%
Cleric 26 6.37%
Druid 39 9.56%
Enchanter 53 12.99%
Magician 28 6.86%
Monk 17 4.17%
Necromancer 47 11.52%
Paladin 18 4.41%
Ranger 12 2.94%
Rogue 11 2.70%
Shadow knight 15 3.68%
Shaman 44 10.78%
Warrior 15 3.68%
Wizard 25 6.13%
Won't play on a new server 24 5.88%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2023, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me, it depends 100% on whether Enchanters get more classic or not. I've been here a long time, and played many alts, but I've never gotten a chanter past 20. I really want to try the class out seriously ... but I want to try the version that I remember back in 1999, not the unclassic "solo god" P99 version.

It is my strongest hope that Nilbog will bring them more in line with 1999 EverQuest version in time for Green 2.0 ... but if he doesn't, it will feel like cheating to play the class, so instead I'll maybe do a Necromancer, or [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] maybe even a melee.
I always just assumed most of what makes Enchanters so good on P99 is just that the game has been out for 20+ years and it's now a solved game and back in the day people didn't understand how to get the most out of the class. Is that not the case?
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:52 PM
Aviak

For Magicians pet in early game is it that you cannot research them at all or is that it forces you to research all the pets rather than being able to buy them after Level 16?
Old 02-15-2023, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always just assumed most of what makes Enchanters so good on P99 is just that the game has been out for 20+ years and it's now a solved game and back in the day people didn't understand how to get the most out of the class. Is that not the case?
There have been bug reports about various issues with chanters, but the most recent one I can think of is for channeling.

One of the classic researchers (I'm blanking on who, sorry!) did research showing that channeling is too easy here ... which of course makes charming easier, because if you can just channel through a re-charm, there's less risk to charming.

But again, there have been other tickets too. For me, it's not about getting any one pet issue fixed, it's about ... if you go back through classic sources, and read what people said about Shaman, or Druids, or any other class, it's basically the same as how they are here.

Of course, there's some differences due to player knowledge and better internet connections, but again if you read what people said about Warriors or Necros, or any class other than Enchanter, it's basically the same as the P99 version. Enchanters are anomalous here: they're not like they were back then, and I want to play that Enchanter.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Banned

Probably a Mage.

Summon a bunch of 100% WR bags and camp Permafrost for ALL the metal bricks in the world. I'll do that until they patch it. Then farm Jboots for all my characters in Najena.

Camp moonstones or whatever they call em. Camp pre-Nerf CoS when Kunark lands.

Something like that. It'll be like going back in time and investing in Google or something.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:01 PM
Planar Protector

For Season 2 I'm going to again pick 2 classes to start I've not mained and a kunark era class, and I think I am going Human Erollsi Paladin,. shaman of a race I haven't decided, and then an Iksar Necro.

I want a hot pink flaming sword dark elf illusion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am the pretty guardian who fights for love and justice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-15-2023, 11:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Monk, just because I love that toolkit. Don't know why it took me so long to figure out.
Vorkas- 33 Gnome Warrior <Castle>
Hake - 50 Human Monk <Castle>
Xykz -43 Iksar Warrior<Ancient Blood>
Old 02-16-2023, 02:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin is just obsessed with some made-up version of enchanter he has in his head and has been crying about it for years, apparently.

I was there in 1999. I only played Enchanter on live and I played it for years. Most of the things that make Enchanter so much stronger in P99 compared to back in the day have little to nothing to do with different code. It's like you said, all the accumulated knowledge, and it's also things like much faster pings to the server, it's GINA audio and text alerts, and etc. Even if I were to try to solo charm just without GINA it is a night and day difference. Back on live, you couldn't react nearly as fast as you can now because of the much higher connection latency. That made trying to charm back then much more deadly. I didn't know about JBoots or GGRs back in live and yet I still managed to charm solo back then. Yet nearly every last enchanter on P99 will have those two items if they can afford it and will have the CHA as maxed as they can.

He says in his post here that you can charm through a mob beating on you because the coding for spell interruption is wrong on P99 - this just shows he doesn't know what he's talking about. No enchanter worth anything is going to be sitting there trying to cast charm on a mob hitting them. You control them first with either a fast-casting pbaoe stun, mez, or root. At high level you'll only even live through like 2 rounds of combat anyways, maybe a few more if you've got you're rune up and full.
Last edited by TripSin; 02-16-2023 at 02:16 AM..
Old 02-16-2023, 04:21 AM
Planar Protector

Probably another warrior. Can’t have a server without a max level warrior to warm body on 5th spot on tank list [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Green/teal I started a mith marr bard cos I liked the cultural. My connection was too intermittent to 25 kite, so was levelling in groups and got dejected by lack of highpass orc/gnoll groups. Also i knew I’d never find enough of the right diamonds to make the armour so abandoned the plan.

Maybe pre kunark I’d do bard again but better manage my expectations and choose a different deity for bard.

Idk

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-16-2023, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin is just obsessed with some made-up version of enchanter he has in his head and has been crying about it for years, apparently.

I was there in 1999. I only played Enchanter on live and I played it for years. Most of the things that make Enchanter so much stronger in P99 compared to back in the day have little to nothing to do with different code. It's like you said, all the accumulated knowledge, and it's also things like much faster pings to the server, it's GINA audio and text alerts, and etc. Even if I were to try to solo charm just without GINA it is a night and day difference. Back on live, you couldn't react nearly as fast as you can now because of the much higher connection latency. That made trying to charm back then much more deadly. I didn't know about JBoots or GGRs back in live and yet I still managed to charm solo back then. Yet nearly every last enchanter on P99 will have those two items if they can afford it and will have the CHA as maxed as they can.

He says in his post here that you can charm through a mob beating on you because the coding for spell interruption is wrong on P99 - this just shows he doesn't know what he's talking about. No enchanter worth anything is going to be sitting there trying to cast charm on a mob hitting them. You control them first with either a fast-casting pbaoe stun, mez, or root. At high level you'll only even live through like 2 rounds of combat anyways, maybe a few more if you've got you're rune up and full.
You can have your memories of Enchanters being solo gods.

I'll go with my memories (and all the reports on classic sources) of Enchanters being a primarily grouping class (who could solo, but it was very risky and dangerous), and ... with any luck ... Nilbog will go with the classic evidence that's already been submitted by the great researchers here.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 02-16-2023 at 12:53 PM..
Old 02-16-2023, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

I haven't really seen the evidence but I've been chalking enchanters up to people just weren't going ape over charisma like today back then and enchanters aren't the only ones effected by modern tech. Bards who swarmed were really rare for the first two years since everyone was coming off dialup still gradually.