Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

Smile Ask not what the p99 wiki can do for you but what you can do for the p99 wiki!

Howdy you fine people of Norrath!

I will try to make this short { Don't look down lol } so you can all get back to your fun times. No matter if you play on the Blue, Green or the Teal server you have come to know, use and love the p99 wiki as a invaluable source of information but have you ever wondered why something is so obviously missing or out of place? This is especially so since the new servers came out and two more separate wiki entries are needed for almost every item, mob and zone and for certain eras. Problem is I don't see much progress when browsing the wiki daily. I am not sure of or would try to speculate on the reasons one might have or use to avoid taking the time to update or correct incorrect or misinformed information on website that has helped us all so much in our hunger and quest for adventure. These are my thoughts, like if I was having a discussion with someone about the wiki. Just my opinion so take it how you will, just trying to be helpful in a way that should actually help a large mass of the player base and not just a few individuals in game or whatnot.

Not sure how to edit the wiki? Just register and then you can have access to the edit option on the top of each page or in between sections. After that you just look at what is already been created on a page as a reference and duplicate those lines and add in the new/updated information. Might take a bit of trial and error but you can preview the changes before you save em so feel free to add whatever you believe should be on the wiki but remember to be as accurate as possible to avoid having to edit the same pages in the future.

Think most the information is correct? Far from the truth I'm afraid. So many links, items and mobs are still a mystery according to the wiki. Example ~ almost daily when I search for mobs to kill of certain levels/zones I often find a very limited loot table listed on the wiki for those mobs. Later after hunting said mobs I noticed many other items dropping of them regularly, including research mats, gems, etc. That type of situation is a easy update and just takes a moment of your time. Think how nice it would of been/will be to know when and where you can farm a certain mat or item much easier or perhaps find a more lucrative option while farming said item, two birds with one stone kinda thing. Play smarter, not harder.

Don't use the wiki? Not your problem? I don't believe you, sorry. Someone out there might have everything memorized but I too would consider myself fairly knowledgeable and yet I am still learning new things all the time. ( New mobs, class specific spell/skill uses, items, quests, etc ) You may not even know it but even if you do not directly use the wiki it is still giving you the information needed to progress via word of mouth from other players. It's a mystery how the other players knew about that camp or item...hmmm.

To end this on a positive note I'd like to say thank you for those who have contributed at any point in time or recently, kudos to you my friends and keep it up! Truly appreciated! In conclusion, sure the wiki is there to help us but we can also help ourselves and others by taking a moment of our time and add a missing item, chat dialogue or whatever else comes to mind. Hope you all have a great day, in real life and in Norrath!

Cheers mates!

TL;DR ~ The wiki ain't gonna edit itself, take a moment and help out your community!

Level 55 { MAG } Majishan Misspelled
Level 55 { DRU } Petrified Wood
Level 56 { BRD } Takeall Bets
Level 56 { MNK } Shuai Jiao
Last edited by Petrified Wood; 01-02-2020 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Forgot TL;DR
Old 01-03-2020, 05:34 AM
Sarnak

With not a single comment, good or bad, I have to wonder did I just completely miss the mark or was the subject matter or how it was written just that bad? I mean, it's rather rare to see a post get so little reaction one way or the other. Not even a troll in sight. I'll be slinking away to my corner now lol..
Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

It came across like a bit like a shopping channel pitch.

I've updated the wiki where I've seen wrong info or Luclin screenshots, but only where I've seen issues on quests/info I've looked up.

Rahvin and the other backseat wiki admins need to frontline and reach out a bit more if they want more of a hand with it.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It came across like a bit like a shopping channel pitch.

I've updated the wiki where I've seen wrong info or Luclin screenshots, but only where I've seen issues on quests/info I've looked up.

Rahvin and the other backseat wiki admins need to frontline and reach out a bit more if they want more of a hand with it.
As I understand it Rahvin basically doesn't play anymore, he just came back briefly to help add the Green/Teal auction trackers. Other than him, at this point the only other "true" wiki admin (ie. person with the power to install extensions) is Rogean.

Every other wiki admin I know of is just someone like me, who got "promoted" after years of contributing. So what I'm trying to get at is, there is no cabal of "backseat wiki admins": there's Rogean who keeps the thing up for us all, and a bunch of players who choose to edit. A few of those players like me can ban people who abuse it, but it's not their wiki, it's everyone's.

In other words, no one in charge "wants more of a hand in it", but I think everyone wants a better wiki, so we should contribute as the OP said [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Sarnak

My post definitely was not meant to be taken too seriously, kinda a tongue and cheek way of talking about something I hoped would help get a message across, albeit a bit silly like the thread title itself but I felt it was a good way to state just how much the wiki depends on the people using it. I'm grateful there are individuals that are actually working on and administering the wiki, more then I knew. (To be honest I did not know much about that) To those people I thank you all for the hard work already put into it and hope more people will choose to help out in the future.

Level 55 { MAG } Majishan Misspelled
Level 55 { DRU } Petrified Wood
Level 56 { BRD } Takeall Bets
Level 56 { MNK } Shuai Jiao
Old 01-03-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

ok boomer
Old 01-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Kobold

Updating the wiki has become a fun new way for me to play p99 that I did not expect to come to pass, even if it's just little things like adjusting the weight on an item. Still feels good to "correct" a thing and know it'll sit there forever. Once I upped my game and learned to add screenshots with proper sizing, I felt like a pro.

I'm most proud of my Terrorantula contribution, I was lucky enough to spawn the spider alongside a sand giant which is great for size comparison

https://wiki.project1999.com/Terrorantula

You put a lot of heart into your post and didn't feel too accepted it seems Petrified Wood, so you wanted to slink away. Gotta let things sit for longer on a forum. Maybe next time you can engage the reader more with how you personally derive fun from editing the wiki? It would take the "shopping channel pitch" away a bit.
Closed Thread