Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Orc

Default rogue critical strike questions

1. Can a rogue crit with melee attacks such as backstab?

2. For a rogue, is the only purpose of dexterity to increase the chance of weapon procs?
Old 01-05-2020, 04:50 AM
Aviak

Rogues can only crit with throwing.

Dex let weapons procc more often, yes, but u dont want procc weapons on a Rogue because proccs produce a lot of agro. Its more a tank thing.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raszul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dex let weapons procc more often, yes, but u dont want procc weapons on a Rogue because proccs produce a lot of agro.
Depends on the proc, surely? The snare component of an SBD proc (for example) is infamous for being more trouble than it's worth, but a pure DD proc (maybe even a pure DoT) is just more damage.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentathiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but a pure DD proc (maybe even a pure DoT) is just more damage.
What sort of ratio on proc damage threat to melee damage threat is there? I know melee threat is based on swings, weapon, and damage bonus rather than on damage actually dealt, but on average are you gonna be generating more threat per damage with a nuke proc than with melee swings?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:58 PM
Fire Giant

Dex is good if you have an avatar weapon to proc.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What sort of ratio on proc damage threat to melee damage threat is there? I know melee threat is based on swings, weapon, and damage bonus rather than on damage actually dealt, but on average are you gonna be generating more threat per damage with a nuke proc than with melee swings?
Never really had a chance to find out. I used a Crystalline Spider Fang, back in my CoM days, but the proc on that was 12pts compared to a relaible back-stab of many times that. Even the DoT weapons I have owned were 10 pts per tick at best.

To put things in perspective, the best proc I can find for any rogue weapon is 182 from the Massive Heartwood Thorn. At the sort of level where you would even dream of fighting Tunare on her home plane for one, you can probably backstab for over 1k damage.