Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Skeleton

Default I've never raised on EQ...

I don't have any experience with EQ raiding.
I've taken the time to level to 60 once before so understand the time investment to get there. I'm curious though on people's opinions to what the most fun raid class is and why? I'm planning on sticking with green for the long haul. Also, how long do raids typically last? I'm a father of 2 young ones and would prefer to not get a divorce over EQ raiding.
Last edited by wholewitt; 09-07-2019 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Phone typo
Old 09-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

crazy idea but maybe spend the time with ur young children instead
Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

The short answer is that it varies greatly. You could hop on a bat phone, engage a mob that's up, then kill it and camp all under half an hour ... or you can crawl or farm some plane or TOV for 3+ hours at a time.

Even the "several hours at a time" raids aren't continuous effort though; you should be able to deal with kid interruptions, as long as mom is keeping an eye on them the whole time. And if you have to leave part way through (especially as a caster) it's usually no big deal.

Personally I'd recommend starting with a casual raid guild (the wiki's guild list groups them). Such guilds will tend to more pre-planned (ie. "honey you've got dinner Wednesday night") and smaller raids, and less long crawls and batphone engagements. Once you've tried a casual guild for a few months you'll have a much better idea of whether you can/should try raiding at a higher level.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

I'd say play a rogue. Dps is stackable and you have no real responsibilities other than the occasional corpse drag.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 09-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

You merely adopted raiding, I was raised in it. Molded by it. I didn't see daylight light until I was already a BIS, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say play a rogue. Dps is stackable and you have no real responsibilities other than the occasional corpse drag.
This is the most fun raiding I've had. All the action, none of the responsibility.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
crazy idea but maybe spend the time with ur young children instead
Ya because I don't? Quality shit post. The whole reason I asked about time of raids was because of this...
Old 09-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Planned raids tend to last around three hours on average, sometimes longer if things go sideways. Of all the classes, Monks seem to have the most fun with respectable DPS, useful enough discs, and FD which gives them a front row view of trains/raid wipes from beginning to end. Flying kick never gets old. Iksar FD is comically good. The weapons and fashion options they have access to are hard to complain about, especially in Velious.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

I've never raided on p99 or back in 99 to 02.

With the random spawn times, it makes participating in a trak, vox or nag kill difficult. Maybe things have gotten better, but I seem to remember those 3 hardly being up for more than 30 minutes before they were downed again.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewitt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have any experience with EQ raiding.
I've taken the time to level to 60 once before so understand the time investment to get there. I'm curious though on people's opinions to what the most fun raid class is and why? I'm planning on sticking with green for the long haul. Also, how long do raids typically last? I'm a father of 2 young ones and would prefer to not get a divorce over EQ raiding.
green will presumably be a mad max wasteland but on blue you can easily join one of the ~elite guilds~ given a level 60, an internet connection and a pulse. or at least two out of three. contrary to common belief the things that separate hardcore and casual guilds aren't aspergers syndrome rates and individual time investment, it's having 1) a core of practiced and overgeared players to pad a raid force around for rapid engages, and 2) COTH mages, lockets, idols, and other infrastructure that makes raiding easy and time efficient. three hour raids rare a 1/20 or less occurrence, most are probably like half an hour.