Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-16-2024, 12:10 PM
Kobold

Shaman/SK could be a fun duo but starting as a Troll in Grobb to me isn't a very ideal early game experience, especially for someone brand new to the game.

For me, if you're just starting out you have to experience the glory and nastalgia that only crushbone can bring to your life! Dwarves, Wood Elves, Half Elves, High Elves, and Gnomes all can start on the Faydwer continent which leaves you with a ton of different race/class options to choose from.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:27 PM
Orc

I am going to maybe have a slightly hot take on this which is to say play what you WANT to play and don't worry about the best duo. If you are anything like me, you are drawn to the same type of characters in every game you play. For me, it's a knight every single time. People crapped on Paladins back in the day, but I enjoyed it more than any other class I played.

Trying to min/max is the single easiest way to ruin a gaming experience imo.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:14 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am going to maybe have a slightly hot take on this which is to say play what you WANT to play and don't worry about the best duo. If you are anything like me, you are drawn to the same type of characters in every game you play. For me, it's a knight every single time. People crapped on Paladins back in the day, but I enjoyed it more than any other class I played.

Trying to min/max is the single easiest way to ruin a gaming experience imo.
Thanks, yes, I was really looking for advice on starting zones for a fun experience (what would allow us to see as much of the game as possible as quickly as possible) rather than what was particularly a strong duo. Obviously I don't want to start as two rogues if that's just impossible, but getting the "EQ experience" is what I hope to learn.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:15 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman/SK could be a fun duo but starting as a Troll in Grobb to me isn't a very ideal early game experience, especially for someone brand new to the game.

For me, if you're just starting out you have to experience the glory and nastalgia that only crushbone can bring to your life! Dwarves, Wood Elves, Half Elves, High Elves, and Gnomes all can start on the Faydwer continent which leaves you with a ton of different race/class options to choose from.
Thanks, I'll look up crushbone and Faydwer as a starting sequence.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salathor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, I'll look up crushbone and Faydwer as a starting sequence.
For clarity Faydwer is an entire continent so you won't see much reference to that. Kelethin is the city, inside Greater Faydark (the zone) that is closest to Crushbone. This is a place you can start in as a wood elf or a half-elf.

Kaladim in the Dwarf starting city
Felwithe is the High Elf starting city
Ak'anon is the Gnome starting city

The nice thing about EQ is you don't have to stick to your starting area, you could start as a troll and still go to crushbone. It just makes it easier to choose a starting location near where you want to hunt if you're new to P99 and don't have easy means of transportation (the boats are the worst).

The main thing to be aware of is your starting race comes with faction to all the other races so for example Troll is an evil faction race which means you won't be able to interact with most of the merchants, bankers, ect. on the entire Faydwer contininent.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:42 PM
Orc

The Everquest experience is entirely unique to the user. Some people started in different areas and therefor have a love for that area. Crushbone is a great example. People who started there love it, but is it really so much better than say, Blackburrow? So much so that you would choose a different race just to be there?

One of my fondest, yet stupidest memories, is when I made my paladin on live and I ran...naked, from Qeynos all the way to GFAY because of the Crushbone hype. That run was WAY more memorable than the actual fighting in Crushbone. It included getting chased down by werewolves in NK. Some druid at least helping me out with SoW to somehow get past the HH gnols. The long ass boat ride and run across BB. My point is, the best part about this game is literally just starting and going. Don't research too much other than to know what class appeals to you most. After that, just go! That's the fun. The game will be ruined when you know too much.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salathor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does this sound like a reasonable plan for getting a taste of open-world exploring and dungeon crawling for new players? What level would we need to be to at least start the first few rooms of Guk?
Shadowknight/Shaman is one of the strongest duos on P1999 in terms of capability. It's tied with Monk/Shaman as having the strongest capability of a melee-based duo (the two duos can do the same content) of people in ordinary type equipment. The ceiling is very high. Only enchanter-based duos have higher capability due to how overpowered enchanters are on P99, so if you don't want charm-based gameplay (it can be annoying and isn't for everyone), SK/Shm will do well. It'll pick up from levell 30 onward since that's when both the shaman and shadowknight will have invisibility and the SK will have feign death. From there the duo will keep getting stronger all the way to 60 and beyond.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:23 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Everquest experience is entirely unique to the user. Some people started in different areas and therefor have a love for that area. Crushbone is a great example. People who started there love it, but is it really so much better than say, Blackburrow? So much so that you would choose a different race just to be there?

One of my fondest, yet stupidest memories, is when I made my paladin on live and I ran...naked, from Qeynos all the way to GFAY because of the Crushbone hype. That run was WAY more memorable than the actual fighting in Crushbone. It included getting chased down by werewolves in NK. Some druid at least helping me out with SoW to somehow get past the HH gnols. The long ass boat ride and run across BB. My point is, the best part about this game is literally just starting and going. Don't research too much other than to know what class appeals to you most. After that, just go! That's the fun. The game will be ruined when you know too much.
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying not to look up too much. I feel comfortable asking for advice (which feels old school) but I'm trying to avoid too much wiki use. I have my own HH gnoll story already lol. Came through the zone and got blinded and killed immediately. Came back invisible, didn't realize that looting my corpse would end invisibility. Died again. Finally used /corpse and get my stuff. All to get a few animation spells! Didn't get much but it was worth the story. Lot of long runs from Qeynos though.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:40 PM
Orc

Quote:
I have my own HH gnoll story already lol. Came through the zone and got blinded and killed immediately. Came back invisible, didn't realize that looting my corpse would end invisibility. Died again. Finally used /corpse and get my stuff. All to get a few animation spells! Didn't get much but it was worth the story. Lot of long runs from Qeynos though.
This is the way.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

I recommend going double iksar sham / monk.

Can just hit the ground running level 1 together. Lizard bros 4 lyfe.

Monk is far superior to SK, especially w/o mega twink gear.