Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-29-2024, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

“Successful event” here meant a successful proc. We all know you can proc on a miss. Im not sure how you misinterpreted that.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 01-29-2024 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: iPhone autocorrect
Old 01-29-2024, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

Proc rate is independent. Damage dealt is not.

Two procs back to back don't result in twice as much damage.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Two procs back to back don't result in twice as much damage.
For Direct damage spells you do get twice the damage. For DoTs specifically you get the Direct Damage component of the DoT + X amount of ticks. That is why I reduced the damage by 50%, because on average it will proc halfway through the fight. You are getting half the DoT ticks on average.

[1 roll, 2 rolls, 3 rolls, 4 rolls, 5 rolls, 6 rolls, 7 rolls, 8 rolls , 9 rolls, 10 rolls, 11 rolls, 12 rolls] / 12 roll attempts = 6.5 rolls on average to get any specific number one time on a D12. This means you will get a proc halfway through the fight on average, as you will roll the specific number you want after 6.5 attempts on average.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-29-2024 at 04:59 PM..
Old 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Point is that since it's a DOT, when you get multiple procs in rapid succession the later procs go largely wasted because the effects don't stack. Just refreshes the already longer-than-needed duration. Hence the effective useful proc rate is lesser than the real proc rate. Other weapons with long-acting procs, like Narandi lance, suffer a similar limitation.

A Barbarian using the Winter's Roar hammer between bracer clicks does well for this type of thing, especially if he slows himself.

I'm more interested in average clicks-per-minute for the two playstyles. It's already established that actual killrate for the bacer shaman and non-bracer shaman are broadly similar. How much labor is the bracer saving?
Last edited by Danth; 01-29-2024 at 05:02 PM..
Old 01-29-2024, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

Maybe we can simplify the problem even further, and just consider two swings. This is a 16 second fight, meaning the third JBB results in mob death.
Ticks happen at times 0, 6, 12
One swing happens at t=0. If it procs, it does 44 + 24 * 3 or 116 damage
The second swing happens at t=8. If there was no prior proc, it does 44 + 24 * 1 or 68 damage. If there was a prior proc, it does 44 damage.

If both swings proc, the total damage is 116 + 44, or 160 damage.
If just the first swing procs, the total damage is 116.
If just the second swing procs, the total damage is 68.
If neither swing procs, the total damage is 0.

You with me so far?
Old 01-29-2024, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Point is that since it's a DOT, when you get multiple procs in rapid succession the later procs go largely wasted because the effects don't stack. Just refreshes the already longer-than-needed duration. Hence the effective useful proc rate is lesser than the real proc rate. Other weapons with long-acting procs, like Narandi lance, suffer a similar limitation.

A Barbarian using the Winter's Roar hammer between bracer clicks does well for this type of thing, especially if he slows himself.
I understand precisely what they are saying, and I have always taken that into account:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=553

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe we can simplify the problem even further, and just consider two swings. This is a 16 second fight, meaning the third JBB results in mob death.
Ticks happen at times 0, 6, 12
One swing happens at t=0. If it procs, it does 44 + 24 * 3 or 116 damage
The second swing happens at t=8. If there was no prior proc, it does 44 + 24 * 1 or 68 damage. If there was a prior proc, it does 44 damage.

If both swings proc, the total damage is 116 + 44, or 160 damage.
If just the first swing procs, the total damage is 116.
If just the second swing procs, the total damage is 68.
If neither swing procs, the total damage is 0.

You with me so far?
You still haven't addressed this post, you can't simply ignore it: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=553
Old 01-29-2024, 05:05 PM
Sarnak

I'm trying to address it. I'm breaking down how I'm addressing it into smaller chunks. Please humor me and follow along, and I'll show how it ties in to your earlier post.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Kittens sure have gone downhill
Old 01-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm trying to address it. I'm breaking down how I'm addressing it into smaller chunks. Please humor me and follow along, and I'll show how it ties in to your earlier post.
You haven't addressed it, you keep ignoring it. Please address it before making another example.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand precisely what they are saying, and I have always taken that into account
The way you worded that it appears you're discussing procs individually. If you're accounting for it, then it's merely a muddled word choice issue, thanks for clearing it up. Due to the length of this particular weapon effect, a late proc means you lose both the un-used portion of the DOT once the mob dies, as well as future procs in the same encounter go largely wasted. This similated activity works against this specific weapon; as noted the Barbarian variant would be preferred. How does the Velious ice proc spear compare for non-barbarians?