Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Default Steam sale over so first impressions

So the steam summer sale ended yesterday, what did you buy and what were your first impressions playing those games/software?

I spent way less this year. Like a whopping 21 bucks lol. Last year I spent I think $80 and all hard-core games for my desktop computer. But I got some good discounts, more than last year, and more casual stuff this year since I'm still playing the hard-core games. I like getting games I can play for years. I'll link in youtube trailers.

The Long Dark So far my fav choice this year. A more realistic survival game, I can see this getting attention all year. I've spent countless hours out irl wilderness, so naturally appeals to me. Older reviews don't do it justice, the modern version is pretty challenging starting out.

Ducati World Championshit ... meh not linking trailer, it's fail wont even run. I wanted an older GP race game (I have a couple already), but this one not worth a dime (was 7 dimes).

Waveform I .. I ... can't explain it ^^ it's good though. A few hours in so far, pretty challenging, nice eye candy and sound/music. This would be even nicer on a tablet PC, though great sound on desktop.

Off-road drive Far from a new game again, and it has mixed reviews, but more irl appeal again. And actually it's a really nice sim for technicals. If I had this years ago, maybe I wouldn't have scratched and dinged my 4x so much ... or would have more [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gameguru (formerly fps creator) just another engine, one I demoed years ago. Haven't used it yet, beyond finding it was a little too much for my laptop. Just an engine to toss some of my work into and play around with. Major DX upgrade is suppose to be coming.

Windward Very nice little top-down 16th century naval game. I wish I could find a top-down space ship game this good, a bit like X3 or EVE. This game is in that direction though, with a bit of modest depth.

So no not a whole lot of games. I still have P99, ARMA 3, X:Rebirth and Space Engineers to play. But Dark and Windward were good additions since none of those would play on my laptop apart from P99.

This thread rated:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 AM
Banned

zog thread
Old 07-06-2016, 01:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
zog thread
did not read butt do agree
Old 07-06-2016, 02:19 AM
Planar Protector

will jump, scramble and leapfrog to agree at the slightest mention of zog within a negative connotation.

Just as it should be.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 07-06-2016, 02:40 AM
Planar Protector

Wat? f-ing console nerds, git outa my PC master race thread!
...or I'll mod you into 16-bit sprites! :P
Last edited by Daywolf; 07-06-2016 at 02:45 AM..
Old 07-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
will jump, scramble and leapfrog to agree at the slightest mention of zog within a negative connotation.

Just as it should be.
At least LeapFrog has a small chance to increase the capacity of the test subject to comprehend abstract concepts.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by maerilith; 07-06-2016 at 02:49 AM..
Old 07-06-2016, 04:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Picked up a couple of smaller indie titles but definitely spent less this time around.

Didnt bite on XCOM 2 or Fallout 4 in the end. I really want to play both but I might catch them slightly cheaper in the Christmas sale maybe. In essence, not in any rush. I'm great for picking titles up and then just logging into p99 or something else I already own and keeping them to the side.
Yep same, I was mainly trying to find indie titles. I must have spent over 16hrs the past week searching through steam and looking at youtube vids. Every year there are just more and more games, many really being more worthy of free flash game sites. Not a big prob, just steam needs better search tools imo. But I'd be happy just not to get hacked this year lol

Sure, Bethesda is or was one of my fav AAA publishers, ever since morrowind launched. But since ESO, I'm a bit more cautious to buy their titles if even a hint of the negative. I know I eventually will get fallout 4, but yeah not yet. It might get better though, just like skyrim improved with expansions, though it was stellar at launch of course.

I'm watching No Man's Sky, too. Will it be a genre revolution? I think it was on pre-release sale, but I'm hoping for a demo test while I squeeze the life out of my PC waiting for the next gen architecture which will be significant (memory speed). Then there is a rumor of X4 by Egosoft in the spirit of X3:Terran Conflict O.O /me presumed dead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

It is just the sales that happen all year long. They're all just in 1 week at the same time.

Steam sales are nice,. but I think they should and could be better. Especially for people from countries where video games are very expensive.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is just the sales that happen all year long. They're all just in 1 week at the same time.

Steam sales are nice,. but I think they should and could be better. Especially for people from countries where video games are very expensive.
Seems to depend on the age of the game, and whether there is a newer version of the game out. I saw some good 70-90% sales on games 3-6 years old, and greater savings than other sales during the year on some games. Anyway, I don't think steam sets the price. I've never submitted anything there, but I'm sure there are forms to fill out which include what's expected from sale pricing.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Fire Giant

Wasteland 2 - Return to true Fallout form and revival of the classic Wasteland

Pillars of Eternity - Revival of epic isometric RPG's in the Baldur's Gate vein

Crusader Kings 2 Complete - Fantastic Middle Ages Simulator

The Curious Expedition - Great indie exploration game

Gift Copy of X-Com: Enemy Unknown/Within sent - Great, if dumbed down revival of the X-Com franchise

Fractured Space Pack - Space/Capital Ship themed MOBA, EA, very promising

Homeworld Remastered Franchise - Another classic, redone for the modern age, given a ton of TLC and polish

Civilization 5 Complete - At 92 percent off, taking price from 130$ to around like 10$, can't argue

and no, these big sales are not just rehashes of sales available all year round, some of the sales offered by their devs are, yes, but many are specific to these big steam sales

and yes, pc master race 4ever
Last edited by Safon; 07-08-2016 at 01:19 PM..
Closed Thread