Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Sarnak

Default P99 Green: The way I see it.

It's been stated by the staff that once the team has finished making updates and the game has reached the patch version they've targeted that it has always been their plan to provide an accurate journey for us from Classic and progressing through Kunark and back up to Velious with proper timing.

There's been some speculation on how they'll do this and the two most popular theories are that they'll either A) Wipe Blue 99 and start fresh or B) make Green 99, a new server that will progress independently of Blue 99 and once 'finished' will fold the characters and economy into Blue 99 before starting over. Here's my take on things:

Both have their pro's and cons as far as I can see it. I've asked my guild what they'd do if Blue 99 was wiped and started from scratch and surprisingly most of them replied that they'd probably quit. Whether they'd really quit or just grumble about it before reluctantly starting again is anyones guess, but they seemed pretty serious.

I'm totally in favor of a fresh economy, where the enormous glut of plat is gone and everyone is on equal standing and we can enjoy EQ as it was meant to be, right from the beginning. Apparently not everyone feels this way. So it's for that reason that I think option A is probably not the best idea.

Equally though, my concern for option B) Green 99 is that will we have enough population to withstand it? I think the answer is yes, as I honestly feel we'd steal people from current live servers like Phinigel. The reason I quit Phinigel is because I feel 2 months is simply too short of a turnover for each expansion launch and I know others feel the same. So we'd get people from there. I also feel that some of the people who proclaimed they'd quit if Blue 99 was reset would make new characters and play also, secure in the knowledge that they still have all their achievements over on Blue 99 intact.

All in all, I hope that's the option that Rogean takes once everything is all said and done. I know this is a hotbutton topic so I'd really like everyone who posts to keep it friendly.

I'd like to know what you think. Do you disagree with me? Do you perhaps see another alternative that I haven't mentioned?

Post away, friends.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Planar Protector

1. They wont wipe blue.
2. Yes it would sustain but now with even more neckbeards then p99 had when it started so everything thats valuable would be camped by the same people for the existence of them dropping(manastone,Guise) and raid mobs would be cleared within a month of it opening and nothing would really be different from blue other then the extended timeline that it has had.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sounds interesting for sure, not sure I have much input on the matter since I am totally new to EQ as a whole. If Blue 99 was wiped I think I'd be pretty bummed considering I'm really digging the experience of progressing and leveling. So honestly idk, I guess I'm more neutral on this topic but it would definitely be cool to see a clean slate server.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Planar Protector

Fortunately we don't have to worry about Green stealing people from Phinny, because it will complete its progression before Green launches. Suggesting P99 would "steal" players from Phinny is both naive and irresponsible. There are a lot more differences beyond timeline. P99 does not appeal to the same player base. If it did, that would be grounds for shutting it down.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Kobold

Sounds like a very silly idea to break up the current playerbase.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fortunately we don't have to worry about Green stealing people from Phinny, because it will complete its progression before Green launches. Suggesting P99 would "steal" players from Phinny is both naive and irresponsible. There are a lot more differences beyond timeline. P99 does not appeal to the same player base. If it did, that would be grounds for shutting it down.
Can you explain what you mean by 'irresponsible' please? I don't think it's naive at all, considering several people playing on Phinigel also play here, as well as some people who used to play on Phinigel now play here (I myself am one of them, though I played P99 before Phinigel launched).

You are right that Phinigel will complete first and that's something that eluded me. However they're not going to shut P99 down. They've already publicly endorsed P99 as a fan project. No company would go back on such a public agreement like that.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Kobold

I am personally more worried that the Green server will simply split the player base we have in two.

Not going to start over on Green, either, so I won't be going over.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRayken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am personally more worried that the Green server will simply split the player base we have in two.

Not going to start over on Green, either, so I won't be going over.
I agree that is a valid concern, though in my mind I think there are enough people who would enjoy a fresh start and are 'fed up' so to speak of the current economy that they would return and our total number of players would go up.

There's a very large group of people who enjoy the progression aspect of Classic servers rather than the 'staying at top tier' that we're at now. I mean, the Sleeper has been woken etc, we're not going to see any more new content since we're at Velious, and the game starting at Classic is very different than starting a fresh character on current Blue 99.

That's enough of a draw for new population as far as I'm concerned, though I respect your fear of population splitting.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. They wont wipe blue.
2. Yes it would sustain but now with even more neckbeards then p99 had when it started so everything thats valuable would be camped by the same people for the existence of them dropping(manastone,Guise) and raid mobs would be cleared within a month of it opening and nothing would really be different from blue other then the extended timeline that it has had.
100%.

Believe you me, if you are anything other than a hardcore neckbeard with enough time
to make this a part time job, you will not be looting a manastone, guise, rubicite BP or anything else of value.
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Kobold

I think it's a little stretched to think a new server would be anything different. After splitting the playerbase, the same exact things would occur again on the new server, and the "progression" would end. The only thing worse than doing the same content for years is repeating progression cycles.

The way to make the server fresh is figure out some custom stuff that still feels and or maintains the idea of classic. Race/Class combinations, possibly adding Vah Shir or something but having them start elsewhere, maybe a new class, like Archer that focuses totally on ranged weapons and can crit with ranged weapons, or just a race the community votes on as a whole way down the line, like Gnolls or Orcs. I know work has been done on texturing mobs and they CAN be modified to wear armor. (I realize this may never ever happen, but a small change to me that keeps things fresh is better than restarting over and over).

Simply repeating progression servers until we're out of colors is probably a good way to kill healthy userbases.
Closed Thread