Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Kobold

Default Warrior weapon advice

Hi all, yet another warrior weapon thread! Would like some advice on how to progress as far as weapons go on my warrior. Heres what I have currently.

Axe of the slayers 2hs
Obsidian shard 1hp
Polished granite tomahawk 1hs
Obsidian scimitar 1hs
Screaming mace 1hb

I'm beginning to wonder where I should go from here. I currently have about 600pp. What do you suggest? I was pondering such things as another Shard, a runed falcon, a enameled black mace?

I'm honestly thinking that the white damage of the shard and tomahawk, which is much goto combo when I am the tank of the party, isn't quite cutting it. The shard is obviously very strong agro when it goes off, so do I double down and get a second one and just rely on the proc? Or do I try to get something with a better ratio to help keep up? What about when I'm not acting as main group tank? Let me know how youd play this one out, thanks.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

Hahaha as a mid-level cleric on green. My advice? Tell the groups to stop pulling agro.. Rather than rely on a proc.. I'd rather rely on my group....

The amount of players who start nuking, back stabbing, and going all in the second a mob comes into camp is way too high.. FD, Hide/sneak, Wait to attack for a few seconds.. There are some really bad habits players show on green..
Old 04-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty07 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi all, yet another warrior weapon thread! Would like some advice on how to progress as far as weapons go on my warrior. Heres what I have currently.

Axe of the slayers 2hs
Obsidian shard 1hp
Polished granite tomahawk 1hs
Obsidian scimitar 1hs
Screaming mace 1hb

I'm beginning to wonder where I should go from here. I currently have about 600pp. What do you suggest? I was pondering such things as another Shard, a runed falcon, a enameled black mace?

I'm honestly thinking that the white damage of the shard and tomahawk, which is much goto combo when I am the tank of the party, isn't quite cutting it. The shard is obviously very strong agro when it goes off, so do I double down and get a second one and just rely on the proc? Or do I try to get something with a better ratio to help keep up? What about when I'm not acting as main group tank? Let me know how youd play this one out, thanks.
I made up this spreadsheet to try and compare weapon combinations, for this exact situation.

It calculates DPS and threat/sec.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

You can "Make a Copy" of this spreadsheet, and start editing in your own stats and weapons.

IF the aggro from the debuff on Obsidian Shard is really 550 points, as Sakuragi suggests in their guide, then Obsidian Shard in main hand is the way to go.
Everything else results in only small differences.

So, see what the spreadsheet predicts and then just experiment, since you already have the weapons.

I only just got an Obsidian Shard myself, so haven't had a chance to test it for real.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hahaha as a mid-level cleric on green. My advice? Tell the groups to stop pulling agro.. Rather than rely on a proc.. I'd rather rely on my group....

The amount of players who start nuking, back stabbing, and going all in the second a mob comes into camp is way too high.. FD, Hide/sneak, Wait to attack for a few seconds.. There are some really bad habits players show on green..
I'm not a pro tank by any means, but I think it's my responsibility to first do whatever I can to improve my performance, before asking others to improve theirs.

Having said that, you should definitely communicate with your group members, if the current dynamics aren't working. I'd start by sending a tell to the person(s) that's messing with your chi.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To be fair, I've seen warriors on Green trying to tank with their Exe Axe (or other two-hander) when a shark tooth plus silvery war axe or langseax or dragoon dirk would have noticeably better agro (but no big damage numbers and !omg! less dps).
Old 04-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefiddey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IF the aggro from the debuff on Obsidian Shard is really 550 points, as Sakuragi suggests in their guide, then Obsidian Shard in main hand is the way to go.
On Blue non-dmg proc hate was capped at 400, so assuming that is in place here obsidian shard would be a max of 430. Also, I'm also not sure if the -6 ac debuff actually does 400 hate, just at most 400 hate.

It's probably best to test on green for accuracy.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Kobold

What’s your worn gear looking like? Perhaps there is a nice piece of str/dex gear that could increase your aggro without getting a new weapon! Perhaps another shard or kisch der pavz?
Old 04-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On Blue non-dmg proc hate was capped at 400, so assuming that is in place here obsidian shard would be a max of 430. Also, I'm also not sure if the -6 ac debuff actually does 400 hate, just at most 400 hate.

It's probably best to test on green for accuracy.
Thanks for the info, Keebz.

Do you know of a good way to test this? Seems like a wizard nuking is about the only way.

With the reduced proc to 430 max hate...Obsidian Shard primary / high dps secondary wins "on average", but just barely. However, I played for a few hours tonight and dang, those Obsidian shard procs are so rare when your DEX isn't maxed. I think I'm going dual Obsidian Shard, because even though on paper it might look worse, in practice it may be more reliable. I logged the fights tonight, I'll parse them in the morning.

The other thing that this calculation doesn't show is that once that Shard procs, the hate does seem substantial. In other words, if you had 2 warriors, one with Shard/Shard and another with Shard/high DPS - once the Shard/Shard warrior procs, it would take a long time for the Shard/DPS to catch up and take over. The mob would probably die by then.
Last edited by treefiddey; 04-28-2020 at 10:27 PM..
Old 04-29-2020, 04:27 AM
Kobold

Thanks for all the input thus far. It's been my experience so far that most druids or shaman or enchanters really dont mind casting root on every mob so I've been very thankful for that. The shard proc is great and wil 100% of the time pull agro back towards me if I dont already have it. But the question isnt only about when I'm tanking, what about when I'm not and just want to push dps out? Somebody asked what my gear is -

Obsidian bead hoop
+2 STA earing
Grotesque mask
Crafted helm
Collar of undead protection
Jagged band x2
Crested spaulders
Crafted gauntlets
Charred guardian cheatplate
Azure arms
Black iron girdle
Lizard scale cloak
Large bronze boots
Crafted greaves

107 dexterity
Old 04-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Remember that strength does not increase hate generation. It increases damage, but not hate. Hate per swing is based on weapon’s damage plus damage bonus, if applicable. Furthermore, misses generate just as much hate as max-damage hits, as do successful hits for less than max damage. It’s hate per swing.

Perhaps “white-damage aggro“ would be better called “swing aggro” or “swing hate”?
Closed Thread