Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 01-28-2022, 11:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default First Time Necro - Looking for Tips

Hey

Looking to start a first time Necro and a first time Iksar, never levelled in Kunark. Have a 60 SK and Shaman and a few 50s melees. Haven't played a caster since 2002.

How do I gear a necro, any quality of life stuff? Probably looking to spend 10k or so but have more if something is game changing. Also have a FBSS, 55/5s, an SMR, and a few pieces of loam laying around.

Any tips on playing a necro? Plan to follow the iksar leveling path. How many dots do I stack on a mob?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Forgot to mention, I've read most the wiki and a guide or two, I have a good grasp on the spells. Also does charisma do anything for necro charm?
Old 01-29-2022, 04:21 AM
Planar Protector

Sadly no. CHA has no effect on the Charm/lull spell lines for Necromancers and Shadowknights.

For gearing, probably save that 10k for https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_the_Dreaded_Gaze . Gear isn't too important for necros, this clickie will help you more, unless you plan on mostly grouping.

For the rest of your gear you should just stack HP and MP items as best as you can.

Since you have FBSS you should get a decent weapon for leveling 1-20, like https://wiki.project1999.com/Smoldering_Brand . That will help kill mobs faster by auto attacking. You could also sell your FBSS for https://wiki.project1999.com/Tolapumj%27s_Robe , but once you get into your 20s you will be meleeing a lot less. Due to damage caps something like Smoldering Brand is one of the better options.

I do not know much about optimal Necromancer DoT patterns. But since you have a good pet and fear kiting, I would imagine you don't want to DoT too much, at least at lower levels. Your pet alone should be pretty good DPS, and your snare is also a DoT, so you could make due with killing mobs that way to save mana. Later on when mobs start getting a lot more HP and your DoTs get better like Ignite Blood, you would probably start doing more DoTing to speed up the killing process.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:42 AM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserd...Strategy_Guide

Grab some coffee, this will tell you everything you need to know.

But in short - charm as often as possible, only using dots as necessary to finish off mobs. Fear kiting is best for duos imo, just takes a lot of mana to out dps your animation unless you don’t mind sharing xp with it. Have fun, amazing class and I wouldn’t hesitate to level another one because of how fun it was.

RIP dot damage text.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks guys! I think I read that a long time ago, I'll give it another read. I plan on soloing as much as possible, I've also never played a charm class so I'll look to be doing a ton of that early on to learn.

2nd about the damage text. So helpful with spear of fate / splurt
Old 03-11-2022, 02:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Staff of Dreaded Gaze is kinda for optics only, because the effect is useless. It looks cooler than the epic though. Other than that just get as much hp/sta gear as you can get. The only really useful items are j-boots and the pre-nerf Circlet of Shadow.

The idea to kill stuff outdoors is to dot it up and run away. Your pet keeps doing damage while the mobs are chasing you. That way you can kill every NPC that doesn't summon.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For gearing, probably save that 10k for https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_the_Dreaded_Gaze . Gear isn't too important for necros, this clickie will help you more, unless you plan on mostly grouping.
What's so good about this clicky? Saving some mana? A spell slot? Is there a special tactic you can use with this?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoojitsu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's so good about this clicky? Saving some mana? A spell slot? Is there a special tactic you can use with this?

Thanks
Its more for keeping the mob feared than the initial fear. You don't need it to level, necroa need j boots,spells and some bone chips to level. Focus on how, mana won't be an issue for you until higher levels.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sadly no. CHA has no effect on the Charm/lull spell lines for Necromancers and Shadowknights.
Is the wiki wrong on this?
On the Necromancer class page it says CHA is important for lull and screaming terror.
Thank you.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

roll cliche Iksar for necro eazy mode

Stay in Kerns as long as you can. Save and bank bone chips. Should be 24ish.

Leave Kunark for Classic

Camp guards and goodly npc 6 min camps till 50 - Fear Kite

Head to Lguk - Charm

Head to Howling Stones - Charm

Congrats on your new twitching career