Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-15-2023, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Default Newbie yard respawn mechanics

To prevent newbie yards getting emptied or over full of mobs there should be a respawn mechanic where several mobs are grouped together and none of them will respawn until the entire group is slain (but once the entire group is slain the respawn is almost instant).

This mechanic is most obvious in Paineel as the grouped mobs spawn close to each other (instead of the more random distributions in other zones).

https://youtu.be/R_9DJSsTUKk?t=66

Skip the first minute.

Having this fixed in advance of Green (Red?) 2.0 will greatly reduce conflict for limited resources, spawn monopolisation and CSR load.

In other zones, such as Qeynos, the newbie mobs just independently spawn instantly after being slain (at random locations). This includes the Princess/Prince/Queen Klicnik, but the worker/drone Klicniks take a few minutes to repop.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 05-15-2023 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-15-2023, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Can confirm classic.

This is not just limited to newbie yards either, in Great Divide it is the same thing with the roaming coldain and tracking wolves outside thurgadin. Literally impossible to eliminate every mob, they just have instant respawn mechanics after you take a few out.

I am willing to bet certain dungeons may even have this feature, I found it extremely hard to keep DN tunnels clear on live. I know traps spawn mobs, but despite that it seemed like there was always a roamer or 2 despite being able to insta kill everything.

Edit: I am triggered that you did not disable combat music for video.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To prevent newbie yards getting emptied or over full of mobs there should be a respawn mechanic where several mobs are grouped together and none of them will respawn until the entire group is slain (but once the entire group is slain the respawn is almost instant).

This mechanic is most obvious in Paineel as the grouped mobs spawn close to each other (instead of the more random distributions in other zones).

https://youtu.be/R_9DJSsTUKk?t=66

Skip the first minute.

Having this fixed in advance of Green (Red?) 2.0 will greatly reduce conflict for limited resources, spawn monopolisation and CSR load.

In other zones, such as Qeynos, the newbie mobs just independently spawn instantly after being slain (at random locations). This includes the Princess/Prince/Queen Klicnik, but the worker/drone Klicniks take a few minutes to repop.
When was this video recorded? Not questioning your research on this, just wondering if it was recorded in classic era or not. Even if this was recently recorded on live, I'd imagine that the mechanic may have been in game since day one, but it would nice to know if the video is actually from in Era.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:59 PM
Kobold

Also, live is probably the best source of evidence for how the game functions. Even though there are a lot of major game patches over the years, you could still take data from live playthroughs and extrapolate from patch notes, how the game functioned in "classic"/1999 ish.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

It's certainly live, stuff like this is unchanged unless a classic zone may have been revamped
Old 05-25-2023, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

It's recorded from live recently. I remember Paineel having this spawn mechanic and based on my memory I went to live to verify it still works as I remembered. As the video shows it does.

P99 Paineel newbie zone desperately needs to be fixed. A mid level melee can destroy the entire newbie yard and leave it void of spawns for several minutes at a time. To be able to deplete a newbie zone so easily is a massive and unclassic road block for green 2.0 when the city is added.

Likewise other newbie zones need to have near instantly respawning mobs (Qeynos) or triplets (further research required) to make Green 2.0 a classic (and cooperative) experience.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-25-2023, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

100%. Those who remember playing at launch in 1999 know newb yards were never vacant despite thousands of folks around the world leveling up at once.

From a game marketing standpoint this makes perfect sense. The worst thing you could do in a subscription game is have new players stand around with nothing to kill and cancel said subscription.