Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you still are not understanding the system, Expediency. "active raiders" does not = twice a week show ups. Try to add up what I said. You are an officer, I am hoping you can read. Either that, or you are just simply fronting to protect a cushy system for casual veterans.
We dont have a "minimum raid percentage" necessary to spend points, so you're going to have to quit assuming that I can read your mind if you want me to understand this system.

I'm also not a veteran, I joined p99 last year, so I do not stand to benefit from these legacy systems. Proud to be casual though, the idea that you have to be at 50 raids a month to spend the points you earn does not appeal to me at all. If someone wants to raid twice a month and only buy one item a year, thats justice. There's a reason why some of the casual guilds have been around for years while the top guilds burn out and have to reform.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If someone wants to raid twice a month and only buy one item a year, thats justice. There's a reason why some of the casual guilds have been around for years while the top guilds burn out and have to reform.
A+ couldn't agree more.

Some of us have lives outside of elfsims and train related hobbies.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We dont have a "minimum raid percentage" necessary to spend points, so you're going to have to quit assuming that I can read your mind if you want me to understand this system.

I'm also not a veteran, I joined p99 last year, so I do not stand to benefit from these legacy systems. Proud to be casual though, the idea that you have to be at 50 raids a month to spend the points you earn does not appeal to me at all. If someone wants to raid twice a month and only buy one item a year, thats justice. There's a reason why some of the casual guilds have been around for years while the top guilds burn out and have to reform.
The problem comes in when people raid for years and run out of things to spend dkp on. then it gets hoarded to the point that a person who actually now only plays once a month has a huge dkp lead over current active players and can log in on the nights he wants and take any loot he chooses then log back off til next loot time. Since you have no minimum RA to bid this is a very real issue.

Our guild does cap DKP monthly to encourage you to spend it on upgrades instead of hoarding it. We have a minimum ra requirement to bid past a certain amount. We also do open guildchat bids so everyone knows who wants what and how badly. this system seems to fairly gear people and i really have no complaints
Old 06-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdjoseywales [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem comes in when people raid for years and run out of things to spend dkp on. then it gets hoarded to the point that a person who actually now only plays once a month has a huge dkp lead over current active players and can log in on the nights he wants and take any loot he chooses then log back off til next loot time. Since you have no minimum RA to bid this is a very real issue.

Our guild does cap DKP monthly to encourage you to spend it on upgrades instead of hoarding it. We have a minimum ra requirement to bid past a certain amount. We also do open guildchat bids so everyone knows who wants what and how badly. this system seems to fairly gear people and i really have no complaints
Coming from a guild who has members who have that hording because of ages without any loot to bid on (myself included) - its a made up issue. I understand why it in theory looks like that, but it doesn't happen. Either because, if you are so casual, you are just not going to be there when we actually kill something cool, or because, GASP, we mostly have good non-greedy people in our guilds who play nice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

DKP systems work themselves out so long as they aren't too terribly stupid.

I knew of one guild on live where items all had a set price and the person who put in for the item with the top DKP won the item for that minimum. Problem was after 9 years in the guild there were 3-4 people who could win BiS in each expansion and stay on top.

Expansion locked servers like P99, Al'Kabor and other emulated servers have an interesting problem to deal with in that your gear remains relevant even if you took a 3 year break. So you don't need a complete overhaul in your gear like you would on live to make your character useful after several expansions out of the loop. This makes there be a much more compelling case for some sort of decay system.

But I've always viewed DKP as a currency paid out for your time raiding or helping your guild. So taking it away because you've been gone about sounds pretty stupid. There are other ways to prevent people from disappearing and then coming back to snag all the best stuff from people who are new or continually active.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Offer valid until until 6/31/2016
Not valid with other offers
Blackout dates may apply
Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdjoseywales [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Since you have no minimum RA to bid this is a very real issue.
You would have to work hard to identify for me the actual problem here and what time frame we are talking. AG has a dkp rot system to consider those who disappear for 2 years and come back for 1 night when something nice drops. For every month you don't raid anything at any time at least once you will be deducted 10% of your current total dkp.

So if someone shows up once a month and raids and gets a nice item...then great. We raid a LOT in AG. If someone attended every raid in AG they certainly would be hardcore...without a doubt. All hours, batphones are flying and content is dying. But none of it is required and if you show up to just one of those then you avoid rot.

I believe this shows that we value the person rather than what they "bring to the table" in a guild that is designed to be a raiding guild. We make no apologies about being a raiding guild and making everything available, but we don't push high end pressure and what ultimately leads to burnout. Patience and progressive activity is the key to sustainability.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds doable Nemce. My original post was just due to the fact I only did dkp guilds during live, a lot, and feel i know the problems, and some solutions. your dkp rot is also a good solution.

Stepping back from pixel lust, the goal, right, is to prevent frustration for newer members, and to prevent a permanent top rank of players who can win any time they want, always. One wants things to get mixed up. It's not about "rewarding" people who aren't putting in effort. It's about making sure a dkp system doesn't harden into a fixed loot hierarchy. That is why my personal fave is the /gu open bidding strat. Get two drunk raiders and egg them on and boom, at the end someone has just dropped 80% of their dkp. And everyone has a good laugh the next day )

edit: that is how i got my talisman. we had just got into vex thal, and first one was reserved for the MT. Next one, I dropped megatons of dkp in bidding. Then I started saving again. Used to raid nearly every day back then, ah youth.
Last edited by Sadre Spinegnawer; 06-03-2016 at 04:49 PM..
Closed Thread