Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally, I do not think this should happen.

-Respawning of npcs - classic? check.
-Catching up on missing spawns due to lack of patches - classic? check.
-Teleporting people or moving them against their will - do not like.

I would rather disconnect everyone and have them able to rejoin than move them.
FWIW, I agree with Nilbog. No ports, please. 10 mins enough time to GTFO if we decide to.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After a while, I dont know exactly when- but I am sure our local patch historians can find out- but this was a change put in- it was where on server down/up there would not be insta repop of everything but a certian % of repop on server- and then a certian "window" for repop... I think it was 12hr max? I am sure someone can clarify this. It was put in later, dont know if it was vel or kunark... but it made it usualy so on server crash/patch you would come in and usualy 1/3-1/2 of raid mobs would be up (so you have to go check/track em) and then the rest would be repopping in a short little window to keep things intiresting.
I believe it was after luclin launch, insta repop on server/zone crash was changed because some abilities allowed players to crash them on purpose (paladins should remember act of valor AA working quite well for that).
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned

I would play P99 again if this goes live.

Good measures Rogean !
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a continuation from the other thread ( http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86005 ).

Here is what nilbog and I are currently planning/designing/brainstorming:

We will be cutting the variance in half on the existing raid spawns.

We will be implementing an FTE notice of some sort, whether this is an emote or some type of message.

We will be implementing a simulated patch day respawn. Here is how it will work.

The server will pick one day of each week (Random 1 to 7, Sunday through Saturday). It will then pick a random time. I will not disclose the range of the possible times, but it will only include afternoon and evening hours, so as to give the best chance for the most people to benefit from it.

A serverwide message will go off indicating that the simulated patch day respawn has or will be taking effect shortly. All raid mobs will (either immediately, delayed, or spanned, tbd) respawn.

These respawns will NOT affect the normal respawn times of the mob. For example. If Talendor was killed on Monday, and on death the server determined he would spawn again on Sunday. A simulated patch day occurs on Thursday, his death on Thursday will not reset his scheduled respawn time on Sunday.
Exception: If the mob's spawn time is scheduled to occur within (To be determined, probably either 6 or 12 hours) of the simulated patch day respawn, it will calculate a new spawn time for the mob as it would had he been killed normally, when he dies from the simulated respawn.

Discuss, and know that this system is not final, now or even when it goes live. We will evaluate how it plays out.
This is really good work dude. No joke.

I'll even go as far to say this is needed for Velious. The amount of screaming over Sleeper keys early... Jeesh.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Teleporting people or moving them against their will - do not like.

I would rather disconnect everyone and have them able to rejoin than move them.
I remember this happening during classic era. I have no hard evidence, but if you ignored all of the warnings that the server was coming down, you would be disconnected in place when the server resets and then when you logged back in you would be at the designated "safe spot" for that zone. Couple times that really confused the hell out of me, because some of the zones had safe spots that were in very odd locations.

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

I think 10 minutes is a good amount of time for resets. Casters can gate out, but melees would be left stranded, especially leveling melees during a zone repop. High level characters/melees are expected to have an OT hammer or WC hat, but you can't expect a L30 melee in a group in the bottom of LGuk to be able to walk himself out because the casters gated.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Kobold

Anyone else see the future on this one? Each and every day they do a reset on the server there will be a thread in here of a casual player complaining because they couldn't play much and get one group all week long and this just happened to be the time the server was taken down and wrecked their group?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone else see the future on this one? Each and every day they do a reset on the server there will be a thread in here of a casual player complaining because they couldn't play much and get one group all week long and this just happened to be the time the server was taken down and wrecked their group?
I don't think they are actually taking the server down, they are just popping everything. It simulates the server coming down.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We're now leaning towards a full server respawn, instead of just raid targets.

How this would be executed is now what we need to determine, as to not interrupt current groups in progress and create a situation where a room full of mobs would repop on top of them.

Ideas we are talking about are giving enough of a warning, anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. We are also discussing the automatic teleport to the zone's safe coordinates or zone in location.

In considering how this normally worked back in the day, anytime the server came down there was usually significant warning of about 10 minutes before it did.

But I'd also like to bring up for discussion that I seem to remember when server's came back up in classic, it could usually take several hours for many raid mobs to spawn. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

Anyways, discuss.
Raid mobs would respawn instantly until luclin I believe. DKP records of prominent guilds seem to support this fact (not that I have them on hand but they were posted in a thread a long time ago about Trak's spawn time).

I honestly don't think that repopping the entire zone is that disruptive to groups. It happened in classic and groups would usually move to a safe spot in the 10-15 minutes or so that they had before the patch.

The full reset means that timers will be reset too right? So if Noble dojorn dies on Tuesday and there's a repop on Wednesday (where he's killed again), he'll respawn next Wednesday instead of next Tuesday right?
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

Sometimes they'd respawn and sometimes not... I forget what the condition to it was. Can't give you 100% on that but it has a real yessy aftertaste.
Closed Thread