Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

Default Movie Thread - Movies that make an impression

I was thinking about old movies, and one that really left an impression on me as a kid was The Thing, with Kurt Russell. It actually was a reboot of a old 30s movie iirc.

This movie was highly suspenseful, and what it lacked in campiness compared to older Carpenter movies it more than made up for with ahead-of-its-time special effects and great moments of suspense and characters.

Anyway, the newer version made in 1982 frightened me but at the same time intrigued me because it made me think for the first time as a small child that aliens could actually be BAD if they landed on the earth lol.

I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys sci fi flicks.

Also, the director John Carpenter is one of the rare directors who not only directs the movie but creates his own soundtracks. The music is his own.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One of The Things. ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Irreversable

French film, worrh the watch.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Puppet Master I, II, III, 4 and 5 at a very young age

Most likely paved the way for 2/x of my professional careers and higher level of sanity

I thoroughly enjoyed them, and some others of the same genre, but I don't particularly care for horror movies anymore

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Banned

Bits and pieces of these movies gave me nightmares as a child:

Nightmare on Elm street
Time Bandits some skull flying shit scared the fuck out of me
Poltergeist another skull flying?
Sand worms in Beetle Juice
Tremors fucking sandworms
Even Ghostbusters II made me jump out of my chair on some catacombs type scene? (due for a rewatch)

I watched Beetlejuice over the summer and chortled real hard that I ever found those sandworms terrifying

Not down with Saw type Horror etc. There’s enough actual horror IRL
No thx
Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was thinking about old movies, and one that really left an impression on me as a kid was The Thing, with Kurt Russell. It actually was a reboot of a old 30s movie iirc.

This movie was highly suspenseful, and what it lacked in campiness compared to older Carpenter movies it more than made up for with ahead-of-its-time special effects and great moments of suspense and characters.

Anyway, the newer version made in 1982 frightened me but at the same time intrigued me because it made me think for the first time as a small child that aliens could actually be BAD if they landed on the earth lol.

I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys sci fi flicks.

Also, the director John Carpenter is one of the rare directors who not only directs the movie but creates his own soundtracks. The music is his own.

One of The Things. ^
Hey if you watch the 3 thing movies in this order, they’re cronalogical: part 1: 1951, part 2: 2011, part 3: (the best one, John carpenters)

It’s a fun trilogy
Old 01-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Lhancelot you stole my movie. No i'm not kidding. I have strong urges to write things that will get me banned.

the thing 1982 is my favorite movie.

it was originally a sifi story Who Goes There? 1931 then it became thing from another world 1951

again I want to say things and do things that would get me perma banned. not a happy camper right now.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 01-28-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Old 01-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lhancelot you stole my movie. No i'm not kidding. I have strong urges to write things that will get me banned.

the thing 1982 is my favorite movie.

it was originally a sifi story Who Goes There? 1931 then it became thing from another world 1951

again I want to say things and do things that would get me perma banned. not a happy camper right now.
Nice to see The Thing touched someone else, I have a weird backstory for this movie.

I guess I liked this movie so much, my dad told a coworker of his. He found out the guy was some sort of moviephile as he actually had the original one from (as you say) 1951, and I can't remember if it was on a beta tape or what but it was around that time so could have been. I just remember it was in black and white haha. Also, it was not as scary as John carpenter's The Thing.

But nevertheless even at that time, I understood to respect it for the roots it was to the 1982 one I was first familiarized with. I also did see the latest one too, and as Mick said, not as good as Carpenter's but still worth watching.

I never seen any of the Puppet Master movies so I should probably check those out.

I am not watching Irreversible, I love the actor (Cassell) but I already seen a small part of "the scene" because I wanted to check that part out before I even began watching the movie as I heard how graphic it was. After 30 secs of that, I understood I was not going to withstand 10 minutes of that particular scene no matter how awesome the rest of the movie was so I probably will never see it tbh. I feel like that scene easily made it's point within 15 seconds of it, and is totally unnecessary to carry on longer.

@Baler, don't vent and get banned. For real. Use other avenues to vent but don't use the forums, sometimes parts of the forums are fun entertainment and you enjoy facets of them I believe? Don't write anything here or anywhere else you don't need to get banned on top of being upset by other things. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Banned

Old 01-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oh cool I have not heard of the 1931 version, Ill look it up.

Oh story! cool here is the wiki on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Goes_There%3F#Film
Last edited by mickmoranis; 01-28-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Closed Thread