Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe charm is affected too much by charisma? Still dont know about the reverse charm method being viable on live this era? Maybe summon and hate mechanics different? But for the most part I'd think any nerf to charm would fall into the category of unclassic mechanics/input with the goal of more classic feel/output.
I never thought cha effected charm. I mained necro and had - cha and undead charm worked great. Someone once told me +cha made ench charm better and necros was coded for -cha to do the same... but a friend who worked at SOE said they were idiots and that's all he would tell me.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Isn't the point to play like back then?
No.

If you were at a old-time baseball game that some folks like to do, would you go around telling them that they're not doing it right because some of them are on modern fitness routines and diets the rest of the week? Of course not. The point of an old-time baseball game is to have fun while swinging an old bat, playing by old rules, wearing old uniforms, and apologizing to the fans when you slide and kick up dust on them. It's not about literally going back in time in every way. Nobody sane wants to change the rules just because modern players are different than players in 1860 were.

How is it possible that I have to explain this?
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-20-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I read a lot of excuses that make no sense. Sounds like you were a really uniformed player back then. Isn't the point to play like back then? Not to play like you're using cheat codes? My friends thought it was great to put in cheat codes and use bugs to get ahead. I always thought they were unskilled. What p99 did do was let players get stuck in time and give rule benders and non-intended loopholes to be used to trivialize content. Everyone on live moved on. Where as p99 players stayed to "perfect" these ideals to where they became the norm. What I find funny is back then.. people had legitimate excuses for trains... shitty netz, LDs... today people train just as much without as many legitimate reasons. Might be less trains if enchanters had CC up instead of a full line of spells solely for pet charming. Cause those caster groups in lguk last night that trained 4x in a hour is pretty common.
holy sh*t get a grip man - laughing / cringing at that bold part

filed under bad / sad / mad

40 pages and counting...y'all need to go outside and get some fresh air.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I read a lot of excuses that make no sense. Sounds like you were a really uniformed player back then. Isn't the point to play like back then? Not to play like you're using cheat codes? My friends thought it was great to put in cheat codes and use bugs to get ahead. I always thought they were unskilled. What p99 did do was let players get stuck in time and give rule benders and non-intended loopholes to be used to trivialize content. Everyone on live moved on. Where as p99 players stayed to "perfect" these ideals to where they became the norm. What I find funny is back then.. people had legitimate excuses for trains... shitty netz, LDs... today people train just as much without as many legitimate reasons. Might be less trains if enchanters had CC up instead of a full line of spells solely for pet charming. Cause those caster groups in lguk last night that trained 4x in a hour is pretty common.
If you want to play like we did back then:

- Go create your main character and put your starting points into stats that really don't matter for your character. No one was smart enough to min/max and made all kinds of stupid decisions back then.
- Randomly disconnect your internet in the middle of playing to simulate shitty dial up internet.
- Don't do many turn in quests since they weren't broadly known about at the time.
- Don't use any maps on the Wiki unless you manually print them out and keep them in a binder. Don't use the Wiki at all while playing for that matter...most information wasn't broadly known for at least a few months post-launch, so you can't use it to look up NPCs, quests, loot, leveling or class guides, etc.
- You can't Alt+Tab while playing, or otherwise play in Windowed mode, because that wasn't feasible back on classic era Live.
- No Netflix or other video or music streaming services allowed to entertain yourself while grinding. Standard cable or reading books only.
- Don't follow the traditional high ZEM EXP path since those didn't exist at the time.
- If you want to play a Tank, play a Warrior since many people didn't know how much better the hybrid tanks were. So you need to simulate that lack of knowledge.
- Play a Wizard and a Rogue as well, since they were much more popular during the Classic era.
- Don't use Splitpaw in your higher levels since original Splitpaw was a much lower level dungeon.
- Don't use a pet (if you have one) in a group because many groups thought pets stole EXP in a group (if a group asks you to summon a pet, refuse).
- Don't join the HHK Goblins group because it's unclassic in terms of how fast the EXP is (back in the day it was 3 or 4 different camps). Since it's only 1 camp on P99, you can't join because it would be an unclassic experience for you.
- Look up all the mistaken knowledge about buff effects from back in the day and play as though that knowledge is true. People thinking STR buffs increased haste, Harmony could increase mana regeneration, etc. etc. etc.
- That and so many other things you need to do in order to truly play like you're having a classic experience.

Do all that stuff, and then you can come here and tell us that things need to be made unclassic via a nerf because they are creating an "unclassic atmosphere"
Old 11-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Sarnak

Haha i started as a SK... i play in full screen... I don't need maps cause I remember the zones. I don't do zones because of ZEM I do zones where I can group and have fun. Spent a few lvls in gorge, terrible exp but fun as hell. I always invite hybrids because I know it's tough for them. Groups had no problems with pets. I don't do HHK groups. kjs is mad because he regularly trains. Some of us have jobs where we have downtime.. like me. When I PDF a government plan set it can take up to 3 hours on a 200 plan sheet set. So I have 3 hours to surf netz while my pc is tied up. Unfortunately they don't allow me to watch stuff or play games. Actually.. old time baseball games do happen. And yes they can only use wood bats and yes they wear historical uniforms. Same as civil war reenactments... they aren't using rpgs, AR-15s, and tanks. There is adjusting for time frame.. and then there is breaking the line of "Verant/SOE" intent. But this isn't their game. So the frustration is between the p99 hardcore players vs the 1000 people flocking here for nostalgia and/or the people who want to do p99 but can't stand how blue is. That's why the drama ensues and doesn't stop. People don't want green/teal to become like blue. Most people. Not the people who love how blue is obviously.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

Was printing maps a thing in the past? Did people have binders of them? Interesting. I guess if I couldn't remember them I might have. But i'm one of those people who can just go somewhere once and remember it forever.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But just to make it clear, since I'm not sure exactly why Frug is quoting that
Read what you said, very carefully.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read what you said, very carefully.
Gimme a [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] or [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] next time so the joke comes through text better. I've been mistyping charisma as charm nonstop in these threads and have managed to notice and fix most of them before my edit timer expires! Lol.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it was reliable with velious gear / velious tier debuffs

not nude high elves with crude steins
I'm 210 CHA and have fast charm breaks here and there, even on mobs 4 levels lower. 255 Cha is 255 Cha, whether it has 100hp and 15sv all Velious stuff on top of it.

You will have to erase the history of Frozen Moses for a leg to stand on bros. This one's over.

I think as people mentioned, the random LDs and connections back in the day had more to do with not using charm. The 50% damage dealt rule also probably applied to groups. That might be the fix you're looking for to this situation. It will not prevent me from being a filthy charm burner using invis tho, only slow things down.... which sounds right and fair.
Last edited by Nirgon; 11-20-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
holy sh*t get a grip man - laughing / cringing at that bold part

filed under bad / sad / mad

40 pages and counting...y'all need to go outside and get some fresh air.
Thanks for the great contribution to the conversation.

I think it's gone 40 pages because people are passionate about it. Not anger from trains and other nonsense. Although it's been fun watching the rookie enchanters learning how to stomp the game with enchanter, wiping out everyone between them and the ZL while they practice.

I think the core issue is that having enchanter as powerful as it just isn't classic. Not sure if it's code, connection, knowledge or what. Having this go on with charm in classic era EQ really shrinks the world and goes against the values that make classic EQ a beautiful game.

Change for more classic experience seems like common sense to many. I'd like to hear any feedback on how getting the incomparable power of charm in line could have any negative impact in the world or player base or make the game less classic.
Closed Thread