Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Smile half elf ranger starting stats - wisdom???

who thinks it would be worthwhile to have 85 base wisdom (instead of 65) over the 84hp you'd get at lvl 60 with all 20 points in sta?? was thinking that hp will always be more important than mana, but half elf wisdom is low af and green isn't a pvp server so what does 84hp even matter at 60?

how much mana does a ranger even get for a point of wisdom?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

If not stamina go for STR; which is much more convenient as a leveling stat. That way you can optimize more ac/hp/resistance gear instead of say using a thick banded belt.

High end rangers dont cast very mana intensive spells so it's mana regen more than max mana pool.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
who thinks it would be worthwhile to have 85 base wisdom (instead of 65) over the 84hp you'd get at lvl 60 with all 20 points in sta?? was thinking that hp will always be more important than mana, but half elf wisdom is low af and green isn't a pvp server so what does 84hp even matter at 60?
I bet so, yeah. Plus consider the type of gear you'll get. It'll be mostly melee gear with physical stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same as priests: 12 mana per wis at level 60.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

If it helps any, I've played 3 rangers on all three servers. Red and then blue. Red I was woodelf with the higher base Mana and blue I have a half elf. I never put points into my Wis on the half elf and I noticed it quite a bit. I tend to solo alot of the rangers and I honestly don't think it's a bad idea. Rolled woodelf on green because of the Mana pool honestly. Bullet helms are superior thought.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Sarnak

Played a few rangers on blue and am one on teal again. I am wood elf and still put all my points into wisdom this time around.

Maintaining our buffs 55+ is very mana intensive. The longer duration stuff like coats, skins, Strength of nature, call of earth, str buff do eat nearly your whole mana pool once an hour. Thats not so bad.

Maintaining the short duration buffs like Call procs, dmg shield, chloro are another conversation and a way bigger detriment to the mana pool.

I try killing only using snare/root/panic animal as the most efficient way to sustain kill rate at the cost of killing a little faster. (polar bear pits for example) If you want to Nuke and DoT it starts getting rough.

Of course Hp Regen and bind wound can reduce the healing we need to do but we cant avoid healing ourselves all together. The extra mana wont be wasted, that is for sure.

Mana regen would definitely be more important than total mana but thats a different discussion I think. Definitely feel that there is a case to be made that extra mana would be as useful as some of the negligible stat increases from Sta or str which are much easier to max or nearly max. Wisdom is tough to raise. Even at max lvl you wont always be raiding. Grouping and farming is a big part of our end game life and mana has a role.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Wisdom does not increase mana regenaration and therefore has no impact on maintaining buffs.

It's only useful in a fight where you end up spending all your mana from 100% to 0 and still need more. I just don't see this being necessary for a ranger personally.

That being said, whichever stat you choose between str/sta/wis isn't going to make much of a difference either way. Personally if I was starting from scratch I'd go strength all the way.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

I put all my starting points into CHA so I can be smooth with the ladies.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 11-29-2019, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

I did all str on my half elf ranger so I'm not encumbered wearing banded armor. It is kinda depressing having wisdom being my lowest stat though. Even int has a base of 75. But them limp noodle ranger arms needed a bit more strength behind them so I'm not encumbered through 90% of my teal life.