Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Default When/How to backstab?

I've came to the conclusion that just mashing backstab the second it's ready isn't the way to go. Whats your strategy for hitting backstab?

Auto attack off > BS > ON?

Moving while backstabbing?

Let me know! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Sarnak

It really depends on what you are going for.

Max DPS, when you aren't worried about drawing aggro, you want to just mash it pretty much.

The bigger issue comes in that mashing it will likely pull aggro off the tank and cost your group downtime for heals not spent on the tank. Your hide/evade may refresh slower than your backstab, I know this is true if you have a haste item.

Get a feel for how well your tank is able to hold aggro, you may be able to go all out. More often, that is not the case and you will need to time your backstabs so that hide/evade is available to hit right after you backstab (so you can immediately drop aggro if BS pulls it). If you do pull aggro and hide/evade fails, turn auto-attack off. This will help your tank regain aggro and save your healer's mana.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

With a hybrid tank that's awake, you can go full dps at 100%. Otherwise, this is a bad idea with a warrior or monk tanking. My general strat is auto for a few seconds, evade to drop yourself lower than the other melees, then start backstabbing. I'll go into more depth when I get back home.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

A few points.. Mashing any key on P99 is a good way to bug out the UI. If you mean should I be backstabbing every time it's up, then yes you should be with auto on the entire time. The only time to stop backstabbing is when you know it's gonna put you in the lead for the agro race. Example: mob ping pongs between you and tank, evade fails, tank regains agro with taunt or dps. Backstabbing here will get you agro. It's a good idea at this point to hold off for an evade success.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Every tank has a sweet spot, a particular %, you can engage with a reasonable expectation to not pull agro off of them. This is what I really wanna elaborate on later.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every tank has a sweet spot, a particular %, you can engage with a reasonable expectation to not pull agro off of them.
So it's likely a warrior who you're experiencing with will have dirt ratio weapons in favor of spikey proc-based agro weapons. This means you'll pull agro with just pure melee most of the time if you engage at 100%. I like to wait till 98% before hitting the mob at all to give the warrior a lead. I turn on auto, evade, then I figure out what % the mob's health needs to drop before my first BS won't give me agro. This can be 96, 95.. Worst case 90%. Then, barring chain evade fails, you won't pull agro for the rest of the fight, or really the rest of the group if you can figure out that specific percentage and your tank is awake. Monks work similarly.

If you do happen to pull agro:
  • Try to evade after mob swings
  • If evade fails, turn attack off. Wait for another evade chance / taunt
  • Take a small step back in case mob is rooted
Old 02-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

mashing backstab is a great way to set off the cooldown accidentally when things get chaotic, just do 1 press it'll make your life easier when you don't have to break the habit later.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Fire Giant

I appreciate the responses, it's funny too because I was going to literally post /cecily where are you haha.

Currently my rogue is level 43 and is decked out, so even if I pull agro presently it's not a big deal.

But, while leveling in CoM, i noticed that at certain spots I would miss 6-7 backstabs in a row. (As in the message actually showed, you try and backstab and miss, versus trying to backstab out of range/in front of the mob)

I was wondering if there was a certain technique to use to maximize BS efficiency. It's just like you said before Cecily, if you gave 10 people rogues with BiS gear, they won't all parse equally. I know that sometimes you have to auto attack off/on quickly when your stringing misses together (Well that's at least what I do, seems effective when im starting miss a bunch)

Appreciate the responses though!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah I think you're just making your own superstitions. Sorry if I was unclear about what your question actually was, but I'm sure there's some info in there for someone.

Maximizing backstab efficiency... stay behind target, have appropriate buffs (haste/str/atk) and pray to RNGeus. And like Xanka is referring to, hold your stabs when things get chaotic so you actually land them instead just spamming BS in the mob's face. You can only change your hit rate with levels.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I think you're just making your own superstitions. Sorry if I was unclear about what your question actually was, but I'm sure there's some info in there for someone.

Maximizing backstab efficiency... stay behind target, have appropriate buffs (haste/str/atk) and pray to RNGeus. And like Xanka is referring to, hold your stabs when things get chaotic so you actually land them instead just spamming BS in the mob's face. You can only change your hit rate with levels.
Sounds good, I know how quirky this game is so i didn't know if there was any kind of "Trick" to it, but now I know! Thanks man!