Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't spend money just yet. Flash of Light, Disease Cloud, Shadow Vortex, Flame Lick etc. had very good aggro in Classic for the classes that could innately cast those spells... unfortunately all I have is anecdotal evidence. My guild on Xegony had a SK as a main tank in Velious for HoT or anything that didn't explicitly require warrior disciplines to tank. No one ever yanked the mob off him. I know for a fact I could yank a mob off any caster that drew aggro with one Flame Lick (or a Snare or two if there was a chance whatever i was going to offtank or kite would be mezzed.)

i think something went wrong with the way the patch was implemented.
How about shovels though.... I bet they will hold agro!!!!
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sitting in a corner doing less DPS than knights already do and spamming DW bracer sounds like the worst thing ever. I remember having to be a lot more patient on live having to wait until tank built aggro. People just need to slow down and not be so stab-happy as you put it.
Oh it is, and not recommended except when group members won't wait for the assist call and the healer isn't letting them die. It's like bad parenting, when the healer keeps certain players alive. They won't ever learn if others keep intervening on their behalf. Then they're attending raids and trying to get their group xp / make the top of the parse list. But yeah, spamming dw bracer is for extreme cases when all other options have been exhausted. Sometimes there isn't even the luxury of a corner to stand in. There's just a slanted pillar or an afk ogre/troll.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Root

Someone in your group can cast this then whoever can tank
Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Planar Protector

There are some cheap proc weapons available but that’s not what a knight does. They use the best weapon available to them (or whatever they want) and rely on casted spells. If that doesn’t work:

1. Something is currently broken and likely to be fixed.
2. The DPS is engaging early and likely making poor gear decisions.
3. The DPS are outclassing them significantly and need to pace themselves based on aggro. Annoying but it’s a part of being a good dps with great gear.

P99 culture by and large is used to cranking the amp to 11. Raid tanks use mallets and grind groups people don’t use discretion then complain if THEY are getting hit. If the tank is casting spells at a sustainable rate that shouldn’t be an issue. It’s likely going to get harder...that means people have to actually try.

Around Luclin on Live I got a willsapper with my Rogue. I was in plenty of groups where I had no aggro problems. The tanks were making an effort and I was engaging at 90% and being careful. If I was taking hits and stealing the healer’s mana I would adjust my gear, pace myself, and apologize.

You can also often root and make a proximity aggro announcement hotkey. Cast stun and FOL as much as possible so when root breaks you do t lose control right away. Let the dps die if they don’t understand to keep max distance. They should have learned this stuff in HHK...
Last edited by Snaggles; 02-14-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Fire Giant

Haha did they really nerf the one thing that knights had going for them?
Old 02-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

I'm still getting pretty good agro on flame lick, only situation I really notice a difference where I can't get infinite agro is against a hasted/dw charm pet

Disease cloud seems very noticeable though

Hope they fix it.... like knights and rangers really needed nerfing
Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Reliable in some cases, but not reliable enough. Hence weapon advice.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Summoning mobs will turn to face the closest player but will actually hit whoever is highest aggro in melee range.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardsalmon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reliable in some cases, but not reliable enough. Hence weapon advice.
You can equip a WESS, Frostbringer or Rod of Lam. Not sure how the patch effected them but the warriors should be facing the same problem (or worse since they can’t cast spells).

I’d just chain spells and update people your mana. They can watch their aggro if you are running low, slow pulls, or learn to tank stuff themselves.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 AM
Planar Protector

Knights have taunt too, don't leave that off your ability bar <3