Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 08-01-2023, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Well the cool thing about the ssource is you can update another project with like the AC armor code formulaars and roll it into ur source now
These classic mechanics should be available via the min/max_expansion flags or similar mechanics rather than continuing to splinter efforts. Think of how many people have duplicated the same work on mechanics like this doing research, writing code, and then throwing away their work when they realized they could never finish. Those things like AC armor code formulas should just be in modern EQEmu source and controlled via content flags. Set value to True in database if you want classic AC formulas, etc. Set era to Velious and it just works. I'd also like to enable an sqlite database for EQemu. With this and the era switching data filled in it would allow for a "one click" deployment of a classic EQ server on the desktop. No technical steps required and easy to control via configuration values.

This brings me back to the client which I've mentioned before as the final step to a complete single package that can be distributed and allow playing classic EQ. If that project to recreate the client is successful and is compatible with EQEmu servers then EQ could live on. Another angle is the changing laws with regards to archiving software that has been abandoned. It may be possible in the near future to argue that we can distribute the EQ client legally because that software no longer functions alone and has no server support from the company who sold it. You can't take a Velious disc and start playing you have to buy other expansions or use software not contained on the disc. There is no officially provided Velious server only the community open source server can work with these clients. I think Sony openly admitted they don't have any of the classic source so it is provable that they can't make this software work and it is different than modern EQ and truly abandoned. At a minimum it is likely the client could be retained legally today by registered digital archivists and the public could be granted access restricted to a venue like a museum using a self hosted setup like this. It doesn't take much for the law to change and allow for broader archival access particularly as the aging population is replaced with more tech friendly legislators.

Why does this matter to make a single package that can deploy a server and comes with the client? Because then emulated EQ could be easily promoted via simple install mechanism to a general audience rather than just nostalgic EQ nerds. This would allow the population to hit 10k+ across multiple servers and EQ PvP might actually happen again. It also means that even if the MMO nature of emulated EQ dies with a dwindling population at least you can easily enjoy the content on your own in the future. Currently we are one legal order away from P99, TAKP, etc all being shut down and all of their code erased. With TAKPs release they have almost fully secured the future of classic EQ, it's hugely important from an archive perspective to have this data out there instead of in the hands of a couple people.

Currently I don't think PvP is ever going to happen again even if a new P99 PvP server launches. There are only maybe 100-200 people who care about EQ PvP enough to play and most of us will get bored after the initial launch and stop playing. EQ PvP is functionally dead without bringing in a larger amount of new bodies who just want to play retro EQ and have never played before. I'm confident that once such a single download package exists that it would be trivial to do mass promotion in the right places to create a booming (relative to current population) scene that would support EQ PvP. There has to be a population of players big enough to draw on for PvP not just grizzled veteran nerds waiting to grief the shit out of any new player dumb enough to try fighting us.

This is the long road to saving EQ PvP, not the short road of another low population fast exp custom box. I think EQ emulation is going to die off in about 10 years without an effort like this. We need new players and while some people are promoting P99 using pirated client links and such it isn't going to be sustainable long term.
Last edited by azxten; 08-01-2023 at 03:33 PM..
Old 08-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These classic mechanics should be available via the min/max_expansion flags or similar mechanics rather than continuing to splinter efforts. Think of how many people have duplicated the same work on mechanics like this doing research, writing code, and then throwing away their work when they realized they could never finish. Those things like AC armor code formulas should just be in modern EQEmu source and controlled via content flags. Set value to True in database if you want classic AC formulas, etc. Set era to Velious and it just works. I'd also like to enable an sqlite database for EQemu. With this and the era switching data filled in it would allow for a "one click" deployment of a classic EQ server on the desktop. No technical steps required and easy to control via configuration values.

This brings me back to the client which I've mentioned before as the final step to a complete single package that can be distributed and allow playing classic EQ. If that project to recreate the client is successful and is compatible with EQEmu servers then EQ could live on. Another angle is the changing laws with regards to archiving software that has been abandoned. It may be possible in the near future to argue that we can distribute the EQ client legally because that software no longer functions alone and has no server support from the company who sold it. You can't take a Velious disc and start playing you have to buy other expansions or use software not contained on the disc. There is no officially provided Velious server only the community open source server can work with these clients. I think Sony openly admitted they don't have any of the classic source so it is provable that they can't make this software work and it is different than modern EQ and truly abandoned. At a minimum it is likely the client could be retained legally today by registered digital archivists and the public could be granted access restricted to a venue like a museum using a self hosted setup like this. It doesn't take much for the law to change and allow for broader archival access particularly as the aging population is replaced with more tech friendly legislators.

Why does this matter to make a single package that can deploy a server and comes with the client? Because then emulated EQ could be easily promoted via simple install mechanism to a general audience rather than just nostalgic EQ nerds. This would allow the population to hit 10k+ across multiple servers and EQ PvP might actually happen again. It also means that even if the MMO nature of emulated EQ dies with a dwindling population at least you can easily enjoy the content on your own in the future. Currently we are one legal order away from P99, TAKP, etc all being shut down and all of their code erased. With TAKPs release they have almost fully secured the future of classic EQ, it's hugely important from an archive perspective to have this data out there instead of in the hands of a couple people.

Currently I don't think PvP is ever going to happen again even if a new P99 PvP server launches. There are only maybe 100-200 people who care about EQ PvP enough to play and most of us will get bored after the initial launch and stop playing. EQ PvP is functionally dead without bringing in a larger amount of new bodies who just want to play retro EQ and have never played before. I'm confident that once such a single download package exists that it would be trivial to do mass promotion in the right places to create a booming (relative to current population) scene that would support EQ PvP. There has to be a population of players big enough to draw on for PvP not just grizzled veteran nerds waiting to grief the shit out of any new player dumb enough to try fighting us.

This is the long road to saving EQ PvP, not the short road of another low population fast exp custom box. I think EQ emulation is going to die off in about 10 years without an effort like this. We need new players and while some people are promoting P99 using pirated client links and such it isn't going to be sustainable long term.
the entirety of south america would play a free in depth MMORPG like Everquest and they always prefer PVP realms.... the only issue is the installer.... the entire 2nd world will flood to play this if we had the installer and a convenient way to start
Old 08-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah normal people are like WTF?> about the install process for this. It's a good way to weed out people but also keeps normal people away which might enjoy the game.

Truth is if you can't figure out how to install it you probably wouldn't like it. Smart people also don't trust the special files from P99 too.

So it has some challenges. Its a special EMU thing it isn't supposed to be mass appeal.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormmac [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the entirety of south america would play a free in depth MMORPG like Everquest and they always prefer PVP realms.... the only issue is the installer.... the entire 2nd world will flood to play this if we had the installer and a convenient way to start
Plenty of servers have had 1 click installers since p99
Old 12-28-2023, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quarm on Github and TakP opensource, Dwarves vs Elves WHEN???
Old 01-01-2024, 11:52 PM
Fire Giant

Did this ever become a thing? I would play if it did